• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs 2015 Super Rugby Rd 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Isn't that what Harris is supposed to be?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You'd think, but he isn't. At least not yet, not from fullback. I'm not saying it's a catastrophic situation, but it's something worth thinking about going forward.

@Tex, how good was Timpani? He just drops people. I don't think I've ever seen TPN stopped cold like that. Last week was the best I've ever seen him play, he was better again tonight. Gold is going to look good on him sooner rather than later.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
He doesn't yet have the air of menace that say Jerry Collins carried, but his work speaks for himself.

I was genuinely worried for TPN.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
At The Rugby Net we have a rating engine that takes the match stats and creates player ratings - the top rated players from this match are here:

http://www.rugby.net/s/LEgNd3r6V4o

So even though Kurtley had a couple of missed tackles, his line breaks, try and assist on the chip and chase that led to the Hoiles try were enough to put him clear as Man of the Match.

Statistics, schmastics.

Beale was good and should be congratulated for walking the talk with an infinitely better performance than against the Force, however, I saw Hooper as more influential for the Tahs' win with his work at the breakdown, line breaks and try saving defence.

Reactions: Tex

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They were both good, but the whole team improved. KB (Kurtley Beale) was given the platform and continuity to do his stuff - which he did well. Hooper played his usual non-stop performance - he's world class, no doubt about it.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
It seems clear that a number of the Tahs were "under-done" in the 1st rd. Much improved efforts by most of them last night. I also applaud Cheika's better and earlier use of the bench players (albeit some injury forced ones) that saw the bench make an impact.

We only saw a glimpse of Lousi (and Clarke on Fox rightly said that he needs to lower his body height in contact) but his short ball to put Latu in the clear was sublime.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Folau ran one particularly beautiful line that drew in three defenders. A pleasure to watch and one of the small things that make this game as good as it is.

The Rebels front row were outstanding. I think there was one early scrum where they were bested but were easily dominant for the rest of the game. Tahs weren't helped by TPN's early sub.

Sefanai Naivalu looks right at home, even in his two short appearances. Strong as a bull. The tackle on Taqele was clearly outside the rules but he gave him a bit of a bollocking. Impressive considering how easily he'd been brushing off tackles earlier in the game.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Rebels front row were outstanding. I think there was one early scrum where they were bested but were easily dominant for the rest of the game. Tahs weren't helped by TPN's early sub.
Totality Tony has really added some steel to the Rebels' forward pack, and Zane Hilton has further built upon it significantly this year. Looking real good for you Mexicans.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Field position is irrelevant if you have penalty advantage.
If you fuck it up,you take the penalty.

With respect, I don't see how it's irrelevant. The consequences of stuffing up a chip kick in the attacking zone are less egregious than a Force substitute forward catching it inside the Tahs' red zone and strolling over untouched.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
With respect, I don't see how it's irrelevant. The consequences of stuffing up a chip kick in the attacking zone are less egregious than a Force substitute forward catching it inside the Tahs' red zone and strolling over untouched.

But if that happened while under advantage then the ball would just be brought back to the Tahs so they could take the penalty kick for touch.

I agree with you that in general play it makes a difference, but not when there is a penalty advantage where if it stuffs up they have the security of getting the ball back anyway.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
At The Rugby Net we have a rating engine that takes the match stats and creates player ratings - the top rated players from this match are here:

http://www.rugby.net/s/LEgNd3r6V4o

So even though Kurtley had a couple of missed tackles, his line breaks, try and assist on the chip and chase that led to the Hoiles try were enough to put him clear as Man of the Match.

That obviously depends on how much value you place on of the match stats. Eg: Is a try worth 3 tackles? That's very subjective.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good to see Waratahs record a win but also that Rebels are looking very good competitive unit as they certainly had their chances to win the game.

Please to see all Australia Provinces bar the Reds performing well (and latest turmoil around Hunt won't help the reds imo)

Harris played well....and good acquisition for the rebels

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
With a lot of big guns leaving the other Aussie teams at the end of this year, you can see the Rebels being very competitive next year if they can keep this side together.

Astute point. We've re-signed much of the team so looking good. Alo-Emile is a notable exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.