• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs 2015 Super Rugby Rd 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
in the fairfax press

Melbourne Rebels coach Tony McGahan says team treated unfairly by referee

When asked if his side had a fair run from the referee, McGahan answered in the negative.
"No, we didn't," he said. "I thought we worked really hard on the floor there this evening, I thought we put ourselves in (a) really good position to take advantage of the things we could have, and we don't think we got just reward for some of the things we did.
"I thought our inside work on the breakdown was really good, we tackled them and got them to the ground, we certainly felt that we were in a strong position to get... the ball and we felt we should have got more reward tonight.

i can't find the stats anywhere, but as i said above i don't recall a single turnover or defensive side penalty at the tackle on friday night, to either side. players who are very good at that, Faianga'a, Hooper, Ellison, etc got to the ball carrier and the ball on a number of occasions well ahead of the clean out and got no reward. i think it certainly impacted on the Rebels game plan. interested in others thoughts. imo Gardener reffed the breakdown in a different (unique?) way to how the other refs have gone about it this year

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tony McGahan is also ignoring the fact that his props were allowed onto their knees without penalty when under pressure, as well as not binding correctly nearly the entire night.

I'm the first bloke to line up and have a pop at Paddy Ryan's scrummaging chops, but Toby Smith in particular would take a bind on Ryan's ribs, and then pull straight down when Ryan locked him down. Result: Smith pulling down because he hasn't kept his shoulder free, scrum collapses. Tahs fault---- what the fuck???

Yep, they overpowered the Tahs at points, but its interesting that Rebels got penalties at scrum time while Tahs got resets. The ARs in particular were very happy to blame a sky-blue jersey at scrum time if at all possible. Tilse is still ordinary though.

I should be less than surprised that the referees don't know jack shit about scrums - they're all failed backs these days.

Probably Tony should worry a bit more about the ball on attack - they took the ball in on three or four occasions with a promising build up but were driven off it. The big defensive game they're concentrating on will reap dividends later in the season provided they don't injure themselves too much. There is no doubt they've got the attacking ability and hopefully that ugly kid at 10 grows into the role. Mike Harris was an astute get.

Higginbotham is sticking his hand up for the 8 jersey without doubt. Hope he doesn't break himself or engage the idiot drive.

From the Tahs point of view - when Phipps stopped run-passing we looked fucking good. Just get the ball out son, and we'll keep them on the back foot.

Physicality much better this week, and Dave Dennis led the way on that front. Couple of great hits, was in disrupting lineouts, and generally doing all the shit that Tahs fans love him for, but everyone else claims isn't anything. Suck it.

Injuries a worry, but at least we have a couple of weeks to work on that before Brisbane.

T

TOCC

from a their party perspective, i don't think the Tahs were unfairly punished at scrum time at all..

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ryan and Tilse simply looked godawful, both around the ground and at scrum time. Confirmed when I watched the replay.Tahs not looking in a good place following the departure of Kepu, and potentially Fat Cat too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Alaaaaaaaatoa will help there.

Tilse surely isn't going anywhere, form wise or contract wise. Dammit.

Ryan has the goods but his fucking concentration and love of a pint holds him back.

T

TOCC

I guess a positive is that when Ryan was called into the Wallabies, many fans were asking "is he really the next in line" well thankfully I think the question has been answered that there are better alternatives out there, this bodes well for the Wallabies at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Having watched the game again,

Leafa has played every minute so far, that's a very worrying sign with Tony's tactics.

Ref killed the breakdown, watched the offside line all night and did not pay attention. That last try was a disgrace off the scrum, both bad reffing in seeing the flanker hit the ball back and Rebels defence should have had that covered.

Loved Sefa dropping the shoulder on Beale after scoring his try to

Hope Burgo keeps his spot for next week.

If you offered me 5 points after two rounds when the fixture came out I would take it.

Bring on the Brumbies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Now I'm managed to free myself form the clutches of life I've watched the replay. My thoughts:

• Defensive work was immense, especially n the first half. Those few lapses that crept into the second half cost us two tries; the first Naiyarvoro try and the Beale try. Don't think Meehan's position at the back of the Tah's scrums helped either.
  • The defensive work of Inman, McMahon, Higgers and Ellison was great but the 'big afro spear' (Timani) was fantastic. Well documented here and equally loved both live and on the replay. He not only stopped blokes, but he pushed them back and even turned the of ball around. He has had two wonderful games, but there is a massive season ahead of us.
  • With the exception of Hooper, our pack had the better of the 'Tahs pack on the night. The scrum work was wonderful, even thought it was a B Pack. anyone whining about Toby Smith would also notice he had a park better body position in both engagement and drive than Paddy Ryan, which is the main reason why he schooled him. The binding on the ribs was just further insult; whilst you get away with it, do it.
  • Whilst the Scrum was good, we turned about three lineouts over with shit throws. Two of them were in decent attacking position. it has got better, but ARGH!!
  • IMO the Dennis hit on Mikey Mike wasn't high, it was hardly close to a tackle and went into shoulder charge country for me. He basically just held his left arm out and used it to help the impact of the should he dropped into him. Bugger all, if any, attempt to perform a proper tackle. The fact that Naivaru hit was similar but got the card did piss me off more, but I came to piece with Gardner after the aforementioned advantage play deep in our half.
  • The loss of Harris was big, but the loss of Burgo was even bigger. Meehan is a good player but doesn't ahve the game management experience that Burgo has. Even before the Beale try you could see a big difference in how the game was playing for us. Some work to do there.
  • Attack is looking better, but we are still coughing up good pill with silly turnovers. Handling errors into contact seem to be the biggest offender.
  • Fa'ainga had a fairly ineffective game, not making the advantage line and not making a huge impact at breakdown IMO. I think we might see Fugs start t he next match.
  • Tom English was unusually very quiet. Only saw one run from him.
  • The Rebels were bested by a team with better attacking flair and better kicking options. Foley and Horne showed this all night and well Beale's chip was OK.
  • The fact we were close at half time with bugger all possession was good. WE tried to stick it out, but just couldn't close it out on the day. Well done 'Tahs.
An enjoyable Derby to watch. Don't worry NSW, i'll be therein April to watch the Rebels take back Weary. Until next time.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
That was not a reflex action under pressure.
He had all the time in the world to take a number of options.
Look at the confusion on his face when Izzie tells him he just fucked up.
He clearly does not know the rule.
I'll put my hand up as a "dumb prick" too.I've played and watched rugby all my life(I assure you that's a bloody long time)and I didn't realise you could not do that until,I think it was when Izzy got pinged for it.In fact,even in this game I wondered why he got the card until my memory kicked in.Even though it's a rule,I think a harsh call for yellow in that situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IMO the Dennis hit on Mikey Mike wasn't high, it was hardly close to a tackle and went into shoulder charge country for me. He basically just held his left arm out and used it to help the impact of the should he dropped into him. Bugger all, if any, attempt to perform a proper tackle. The fact that Naivaru hit was similar but got the card did piss me off more, but I came to piece with Gardner after the aforementioned advantage play deep in our half.

I disagree. I think it was a textbook tackle. The arms were right there just as the shoulder connected.

If the hit hadn't been so good the arms would have wrapped around. This sort of thing happens when someone gets the timing so right with the hit and the player drops too quickly for the arms to wrap all the way around. I remember Palu getting yellow carded on an EOYT a few years ago for a similar tackle.

Naivalu's problem was that he hit with the opposite shoulder to the one with the arm that was anywhere close to wrapping around. I think the decision there to just make it a penalty was correct. It was at the low end of no arms in the tackle and didn't warrant a yellow card.

It was a good game though. The defence of both sides could have been better and lapses cost both teams. The physicality was superb and it is good to see other Australian sides ramp it up. It was the hallmark of the Waratahs season last year and that game was the first indication they're getting back to it. The Rebels took that to them every step of the way and as oztimmay said, probably beat them in the physicality stakes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Jeez,if there was a thread for things that I will never forgive Kaplan.

It would set records in this place!
And that's just the Tahs supporters.
He has fucked over the Wobblies on the odd occasion as well!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Excellent game of rugby, fair result. Sat next to Jack D's dad (two old West Harbour lags doing time in Mexico for their sins!). Gee, the Tahs backup front row needs a bit of polishing. Young McMahon's a keeper, a coupla times there I was reaching for my elephant gun to shoot the bugger down. That's after I should've aimed for some frizzy-haired thug called timpani, or something. This young cymballist's got a future in our game.....

It was great to meet up with KevinO and oztimmay (a prop to boot, horror :eek:) and others before and after the game at Post Office pub in Richmond, if only you could've organised some decent beers apart from the standard Carlton muck. Anyways, rabbitting on with rugby folk in Melbourne was very enjoyable, thanks for the company. Could the Turf Bar've been any better, wj?

PS. Ran into an old Kiwi mate from the wine trade in Swanston Street at midday on Saturday. Before we knew it we'd sampled the fare at City Wine Shop up the top of Melbourne's CBD and moved on to Brooks of Melbourne in Collins Street (uber slick, even by Sydney standards). Finished up at one of my faves, TerraRossa in Flinders Lane, and then called it a night. Christ, I had a decent headache on Sunday morning, that's before looking forward to a drive to Wagga Wagga. Dangerous place that Melbourne..... :(

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm not a prop, just a winger trapped in a props body

Yeh the PO hotel mainly sticks to Carlton stuff but I can survive on Fat Yak. Tell you what, when kevino and I head north for the Anzac Day march why don't you tah boys show us the good stuff? We will be invading with a few of us too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ran into an old Kiwi mate from the wine trade in Swanston Street at midday on Saturday. Before we knew it we'd sampled the fare at City Wine Shop up the top of Melbourne's CBD

That city wine shop is my choice is number one choice for the cheese course with the obligatory aperitif bottle red after dinner when in Melbourne, a dangerous place

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I say we take them to the Taphouse and show them what culture looks like.

I believe this game is at Homebush so maybe meeting at the Keg and Brew near Central for quality beers before jumping on the train could be a good option.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, that is a real shame, because fuck going to Central just to come back out here.

Interesting they've picked that game and the Crusaders game to play at ANZ. Pretty much already told ANZ Stadium to fuck off, basically.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, that is a real shame, because fuck going to Central just to come back out here.

Interesting they've picked that game and the Crusaders game to play at ANZ. Pretty much already told ANZ Stadium to fuck off, basically.

I like that they're doing something different rather than just playing the Reds and Brumbies out there.

I think they're banking on ANZAC Day being an additional drawcard and we've played the Crusaders at ANZ before and they draw a good crowd of their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.