• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Participation is impressive. A generation of new Reds and Wallabies.

Record participation levels saw more than 187,000 participants play Rugby in Queensland in 2012, which is a record 37% increase from 2011 and represents 108% growth since 2009.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The coming games are:

Bulls (home) <-- coming off a big loss and will be looking to make amends
Highlanders (away) <-- can just about kiss their season good bye, so will now be playing without any pressure
Bye (home) <-- the way we have been playing this could be a tough one for us and the Byes are due a win
Chiefs (away) <-- ouch
Brumbies (home) <-- more ouch

That's a very tough run of games which surely reds coaching group must be viewing with some level of dread given how the guys are traveling at the moment.
That seems like an age ago, and I am impressed how the guys have changed week to week. Each week, the Reds have appeared to be getting better and better in terms of the little things and some of the bigger things. From pretty shaky form earlier in the season, they have come a long way.

The game against the Brumbies was a sterling effort by the guys in terms of commitment. Kudos to the reds and training staff for what you have done so far.

I hope it continues for the rest of the season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, can Bret Harris get one right?

Digby Ioane quits after fallout at Reds
WALLABIES winger Digby Ioane may be forced to play overseas after deciding to leave Queensland Reds at the end of the year.
Ioane has given the Reds notice that he will not be playing for them next season after a falling-out with the Super Rugby team's administration.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Any word from the Reds camp to validate this? I just skimmed Digby's twitter and didn't really see any mention of anything remotely related to this at all. Although he doesn't seem to be a huge fan of the Regatta Hotel.

T

TOCC

The article mentions that its related to a third party sponsorship... So it sounds like it may be a case of the third party not coming up with the cash..

It's a delicate subject I guess, the QRU may negotiate a third party on his behalf, but they aren't responsible if the third party doesn't front the cash...

The QRU and players manager should ultimately perform their due-diligence on the third party sponsors(ala firepower), but it may be a case where the sponsors company went intro administration or something similar.

Then if the third party does fold, the QRU can't exactly just supplement the player as there are salary cap implications..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think it is related to the 1 match ban the Reds placed on Digby for being in a bar at 5:30pm on a Saturday night and stepping in, to calm things down, when a guy wanted to fight his brother.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Is there any literature on how these third-party deals are figured into the contract? I'm still pretty cloudy as to how that came about. If it's a third party sponsor that applies to the whole team then A) How is it only Digby and allegedly Kev having issues B) Don't the Reds have a contract or legal agreement with these third-party sponsors to prevent exactly what is supposedly happening? If it's a sponsor which only applies to Digby or Digby and a few other players then how is this even a Reds' issue?

Any individual third-party sponsorship should be strictly between the player's agent and the sponsor, perhaps with the franchise mediating for PR reasons (sorry guys, no Digby's Dildos this season). If this is the case I don't know why the QRU would ever involve themselves. Either there's parts of the puzzle missing here (likely) or the QRU made themselves "liable" for absolutely no reason.

Maybe Jets is correct and it's something like the sponsor bailing on him after the one-match ban? He didn't seem so upset about the ban at the time though so it must have been a recent decision on the sponsor's part.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is there any literature on how these third-party deals are figured into the contract? I'm still pretty cloudy as to how that came about. If it's a third party sponsor that applies to the whole team then A) How is it only Digby and allegedly Kev having issues B) Don't the Reds have a contract or legal agreement with these third-party sponsors to prevent exactly what is supposedly happening? If it's a sponsor which only applies to Digby or Digby and a few other players then how is this even a Reds' issue?

Any individual third-party sponsorship should be strictly between the player's agent and the sponsor, perhaps with the franchise mediating for PR reasons (sorry guys, no Digby's Dildos this season). If this is the case I don't know why the QRU would ever involve themselves. Either there's parts of the puzzle missing here (likely) or the QRU made themselves "liable" for absolutely no reason.

Maybe Jets is correct and it's something like the sponsor bailing on him after the one-match ban? He didn't seem so upset about the ban at the time though so it must have been a recent decision on the sponsor's part.

Some of these third party deals are set up with the help of the franchise.

I know when there was the whole Firepower debacle over at the Force, players like Giteau lost a lot of money because a big part of their inducement in heading west was the money on offer from Firepower.

When they never got paid, it meant the overall value of the contract with the franchise and third party deal they'd negotiated was significantly less than what they were expecting.

If the same applies for Digby and part of the way the Reds kept him in Queensland when he last signed a contract was on the promise of more money coming from a third party deal, he'd be rightfully pretty upset if he didn't get paid because whoever the deal was with reneged or went broke.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now this.........

QRU braces for war with Digby Ioane after incident at Brisbane hotel
THE Queensland Rugby Union is preparing to go to war with its star winger Digby Ioane after he was refused entry to a Brisbane hotel restaurant on Sunday and it is fast becoming a question of whether he can quit the Reds before he is sacked.
The Australian understands Ioane's manager Anthony Piccone contacted the QRU a fortnight ago to confirm that the 27-year-old would not be taking up his option to remain with the Reds next year.
The Wallabies star has been in dispute with the QRU for some time over third party payments he believes he is owed and, with no resolution he would see as satisfactory in sight, has decided to quit the side he joined from the Western Force in 2008.
But an angry Reds chief executive Jim Carmichael last night said he was investigating the Ioane hotel incident at the Regatta Hotel - a sponsor of the QRU.
"He has a bigger problem than his contract and that's his conduct," Carmichael said. It is understood the 34-Test winger was involved in an altercation with Regatta staff when they refused to admit him bare-chested to a restaurant at the well-known Brisbane riverside hotel.
He later tweeted about the incident, attacking the hotel.
The incident comes barely a month after Ioane was stood down from a Reds match after getting involved in an incident at a Melbourne bar.
In the event the Reds refuse to allow him to go to another Australian Super Rugby franchise, and Carmichael is threatening to take legal action against him and his agent if he finds approaches have been made to them, Ioane's only alternative - but one he is understood to be happy to pursue - would be to play overseas.
Ioane hopes the ARU will decide he is free to negotiate with another Australian union if that keeps him playing for the Wallabies, but Carmichael was confident the ARU would back Queensland's contract with him.
Even if Ioane faces disciplinary action, indications are the Reds are set for an even bigger battle to counter his bid to get out of the third year of his contract.
"At this stage we have an agreement that the only way he can play at any other (Australian) franchise than the Reds is if he declines an offer from the ARU - and I agree to it," Carmichael said. "He's going nowhere unless I release him."
Earlier yesterday, Reds coaching boss Ewen McKenzie and captain James Horwill both disputed a report in The Australian yesterday by Bret Harris that Ioane had fallen out with the QRU and wanted to quit Ballymore.
McKenzie, who has handed contracting negotiations to his successor as Reds coach next year, Richard Graham, said he knew of no problems with Ioane. "I'm not too stressed about it. Digby is out there playing good rugby for us so I'm happy about that," he said.
Horwill denied a report in The Australian he was in a contractual dispute with the Reds, a view Carmichael supported last night.
Indeed, Carmichael insisted Horwill had signed a two-year deal and only needed to conclude his negotiations with the ARU.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t-brisbane-hotel/story-e6frg7o6-1226626212045

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Digby himself?

Pay row prompts Ioane Reds exit

"It's all a business matter, that's why I'm leaving. I had no choice," Ioane said. "I've been thinking about it for the last six or seven months. It started last year . . . Sadly, it has come to the stage where I have to look somewhere else so I can look after myself. I believe in loyalty but there's times when you can't trust anyone."

"What's going on business-wise, I leave that to my manager," he said. "I'm the type of person who would do anything for the Reds. They've been so good to me. I'll never regret anything.
"I've enjoyed my footy. We've won a title and I'm hoping to win it again for the Reds and especially for [head coach Ewen] McKenzie because it's his last year as well."
"I actually spoke to 'Link' [McKenzie] front-on, and I told him that it was going to be my last year," Ioane said. "You've got to tell your coaches what is going to happen . . . You don't want the Reds to struggle again to look for another winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.