• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I would have no problems with McMeniman back for the Reds. Could be very valuable as he can play 6 while Shatz goes to his preffered 8, OR, cover lock if they want to give McDuling chances at 6.

I say go for it if he isn't costing anything absurd.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think he could ask for a lot of money really. Having been gone for a few years and the injury probs it's a bit of a gamble whether he can get back up to this level.

Would not mind at all for the Reds to get him back. Quirk is prob a year or two away still. Really wanted to see more of him this year. Unfortunately it didn't pan out for him and he was kind of anonymous when he did play.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Our pack would look a lot more 'solid' with his inclusion.

Plus he is probably has a better chance of making the lions tour squad whilst playing for a team like reds.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Can Confirm that Hugh Mcmeniman is back in Australia and the race to get his signature is now a 2 horse race between Force & Reds. Apparently his friendship with Richard Brown is a big factor in why he might link up with the force, but offer to settle at hoem in brisbane might be to good to refuse

He's also very good mates with Digby, or so I've heard. I'd love to see him back in Red but would be just as happy just to see him back in Oz.

W

What2040

Our pack would look a lot more 'solid' with his inclusion.

Plus he is probably has a better chance of making the lions tour squad whilst playing for a team like reds.

Pack would look more "solid" if Holmes retains a run on spot. Holmes prefers THP - shift Slipper to LHP (seems to be seen as a LHP for OZ) - Daley retains a bench spot - then build around that stability - as the Tahs have done with Robbo, TPN and Kepu. AND OF COURSE HORWILL - bloke has plenty of mongrel, get in your face attitude

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a letter from Link to our Members. A good one i reckon:
If it ain’t broke, fix it anyway
An exciting Super Rugby season has drawn to a close but life goes on at the St.George Queensland Reds with our internal review of the season near completion and our new Wallaby players already hitting the training paddock in preparation of 2013.
Each offseason we are given an opportunity to evolve by doing certain pieces of business differently and by improving our structures. We generate new ideas to challenge ourselves, the team, and to maintain motivation.
One of the main changes for next year comes in our coaching structure which is commonly used in Europe. I will now hold the new title of Director of Coaching for 2013, as part of a more sophisticated and advanced coaching configuration.
The introduction of a Director of Coaching is somewhat new to the Australian Rugby landscape but I can assure you that, in terms of our daily football operations in 2013, nothing changes dramatically next season from what our players and fans have come to expect.
My title may change but the role doesn’t. The ultimate accountability for the football program lies with me.
One area that does however remain the same heading into 2013 is our coaching headcount, where we will again fulfil the necessary on-field roles between three coaches. As we have done previously, specific responsibilities will be allocated across each of the coaching members, giving all three areas to focus on throughout our campaign.
While the number of coaches doesn’t change, we do welcome Richard Graham to our program, where he will spend the next year learning the Reds systems, structures, culture and organisation. He will hold the title of Reds Head Coach.
Richard’s strong knowledge of Rugby will ensure his transition is an easy one where he will also play a role in promoting the game of Rugby to the masses in Queensland. Rugby operates within a competitive sporting marketplace and you can never have enough strong voices promoting the game. Being a Queenslander himself, this is a space that I am sure Richard will offer extreme value to the organisation, above his coaching credentials.
This change of the coaching structure has made our organisation stronger during a time where it’s necessary to take the next steps to ensure the sustainable success of our Code, well into the future.
It’s also the first step in what will be a 12-month transition for myself into a new position in 2014 as Queensland Rugby’s Director of Rugby. This is part of Queensland Rugby’s overarching strategy to ensure the continued success of the Reds and growth of Queensland’s talent and participation pathways, while also safeguarding our Rugby assets for the future generation at both the professional and grassroots level.
In a sense it’s a role which works to guarantee that we will continue to maximise and nurture the production of the best rugby talent in Australia and surround them with the best facilities, infrastructure and intelligence, for the Reds, Queensland and for our wider game.
You can see what vital assets these pathways are by how many Test players we continue to produce. This week 12 of our Reds were selected for national duty, with regular Test skipper James Horwill a notable omission through injury. It’s a huge accomplishment for the Reds to make up almost half of the Wallabies squad and to again have the highest representation out of all five Australian provinces.
We have a proven track record of turning Super Rugby players into Wallabies and that’s one of the main reasons we have the vast majority of players choosing to remain in our Rugby program.
I mentioned before that while certain areas change, a lot still remains the same. I’m proud to say that the continuity within our playing roster for 2013 is the most settled it has ever been and the experience gained by the group during the past two seasons will only serve to make our team a more formidable opponent in the future.
We are in the business of being better, and for 2013, this starts now.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I still have grave doubts over Graham's inclusion into the coaching group for next year. The loss of Matt Taylor will be big and looking at Graham's record as a coach he doesn't have the success that someone with his experience should have. Will Graham just take over Taylor's role? I don't recall him having any experience as a defensive coach in the past. I hope that Jim McKay is still in charge of the backs/attack as I think he is one of the unsung heros of the Reds success.
I hope to be proven wrong and Link has recruited well in all the off field roles up til now.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That so many of the big names and arguably the 2 biggest have opted to stick around gives some encouragement. Players are obviously happy with the ongoing direction. I'll give Graham a chance. It will probably not be until 2014 that we get to see what he is about though with Link saying his role isn't changing next year, just his title. Who knows what will happen should Link not get the Wallabies gig. After the rugby club special i have my doubts, not about his ability, but whether the people in charge have the smarts and the kahunas.

Does anyone know what Graham has been doing since the Force let him go? Be interesting to know if he spent time around the organisation and maybe had some small role.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
That so many of the big names and arguably the 2 biggest have opted to stick around gives some encouragement. Players are obviously happy with the ongoing direction. I'll give Graham a chance. It will probably not be until 2014 that we get to see what he is about though with Link saying his role isn't changing next year, just his title. Who knows what will happen should Link not get the Wallabies gig. After the rugby club special i have my doubts, not about his ability, but whether the people in charge have the smarts and the kahunas.

Does anyone know what Graham has been doing since the Force let him go? Be interesting to know if he spent time around the organisation and maybe had some small role.

Saw him at the Easts game yesterday

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I read somewhere that Graham wasn't actually allowed into the Reds organisation until after the 2012 Super Rugby season concluded. I'd say he would have been chilling in Brisbane, watching some club rugby and has only just started to intergrate himself into the Reds system in the last couple of weeks.

In other Reds related news I heard on the rumour mill thats Louis Frisby won't be getting offered an EPS contract this year and will most likely be taking up an offer to play with an NRL team. However, another Bronco's u/20 player, Bryce Hegarty who took over Frisby's position in the side after he was asked to leave has been told by Bronco's management that he won't be receiving a full contract next year (he's in his last year of u/20s). He has since flown to Melbourne for a trial with the Rebels and also had a few runs with the Reds so keep an eye out to see what happens there.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Bryce is another Marist Ashgrove boy if my memory serves correct. It was in the news a few years back about the college not letting him play first 15 footy because of his league commitments. He was a pretty good player the times I played against him, but really didn't see anything outstanding, in comparison to the Frisby boys (playing 9 and 10).

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeh well considering he wasn't even playing u/20s at the Bronc's until Frisby got the flick makes me wonder why they'd be considering him and apparently letting Frisby walk away. Maybe Frisby's dicisipline problems are playing a role in that.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Has Frisby been playing any club rugby this year? As I haven't seen/heard much about him since it was alleged he would be playing premier. I am glad he isn't getting an EPS contract though I feel there are some people who are more deserving. Dion Taumata anyone? Probably not the best player right now but has shown enough potential over the last few years at a high level rugby to show that maybe he can grow into something more (but I dont think he will ever be a Super Rugby regular).

Personally when I saw Louis Frisby play I thought the kid was good but he wasn't one of those kids who make you say 'wow this kid has what it takes' unlike his cousin Nick who wowed me since U15's.

In regards to Bryce Heggarty I have the same opinion, he is good but never saw what the big fuss in the paper was about (and I have been lucky enough to see a few games of him during that particular league season). But that's the problem with Union at the moment has highlighted by one of the websites articles its easier to grab a kid out of Toyota cup who has already been through the professional programs than pull a kid from club rugby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Dion Taumata has got my vote on this one. Been in outstanding form for Sunnybank this season, best 10 in the competition, which is no easy feat when Dallan Murphy and Matt Brandon are running around.

W

What2040

Dion Taumata has got my vote on this one. Been in outstanding form for Sunnybank this season, best 10 in the competition, which is no easy feat when Dallan Murphy and Matt Brandon are running around.
Tiger,
remember him as a kid in 15's, - pretty good - thought he went back to NZ - used to make the odd poor decision as a kid - he obviously has improved as got older - what are his strengths and weknessess ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.