• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

RG has been in charge of defence this year, Link has still been the overall head coach in terms of game plans

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
In terms of the lack of tries, it doesn't seem that it is due to lack of trying though. It just seems like the reds have been too eager to score them.

The outside backs appear to overrun their inside teammates whenever a break is made - meaning that the last pass has to be either forwards, or (more often) behind the outside man resulting in a breakdown in momentum. Forcing pop passes, when holding it for one more phase would lead to a better outcome. Perhaps it is a lack of confidence, perhaps it is that they don't specifically train in attack as much as defence, perhaps it is that all the other teams lift against the reds and this is the lot of ex champions for a couple of years.

I still think that last night (and to a lesser extent the last two games) is a bit different and not many conclusions can be drawn from it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds 2013 defence has been generally sound. RG is doing OK if that is his main gig.

Most would agree that attack is built on a foundation of a solid defence.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Gel - My bad if you had commented, I didn't look back through the previous 290 pages! :) I'll be looking at the roar article shortly.

The whole attack is built from defence thought is fair enough, but we're well into the second half of the season and the attack should be shining too. This is why I have waited until now to make a comment. Especially when there is obviously a tactic not to take easy penalties when between 7 - 3 points behind. The match may have been totally different if Ioane's toe hadn't touched the line early on, but if a team stops the reds scoring a try in the first 20, it seems they (the reds) struggle to score afterwards. (Perhaps from trying too hard!)

T

TOCC

Reds 2013 defence has been generally sound. RG is doing OK if that is his main gig.

Most would agree that attack is built on a foundation of a solid defence.

In the two draws the reds have played out this year they have has a glut of possession but were unable to penetrate, the defence of both opposition teams was exceptional but It definitely would appear to be a faltering 'reds attack' issue at the moment.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I'm going out on a limb and pick up what someone else said a week or so ago. SBW will take the marquee spot so he and Quade can finally play together.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn't paying too much attention to the interview.

I thought the big thing behind the interview was that Scott was recently confirmed as Director of Rugby for Scotland.

You think Link is about to be McLink?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It will be a great loss to aus rugby if true.

But I doubt thats what tomorrow is about, I reckon it will be someone re-signing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It lines up, considering he said it's been decided but he couldn't reveal who it was yet.

Confirmation from Scotland twitter:
Breaking news; Mark Dodson, Super Rugby CEO, announces "We have concluded our search for a head coach and will announce that in coming weeks."
Are re-signings 'major announcements'? This is going to be a press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.