• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Pretty surprised that there are some people moaning about this signing.

It's true that TT could be anything from a star to a dud, but instincts and intelligence says he's more likely to be the former than the latter. It is unprecedented for there to be so much interest in a school boy player and that says a lot about how much he is standing out at that level. In terms of his raw skills / physical attributes, we haven't seen anything like him. He is going to take a lot of work to make him a good scrummager technically, but physically he fits the mold of a powerful scrummager.

The things I like most about this signing are:-
1) NZRU fought very hard to sign him but we got him;
2) His long term plans are to be a Wallaby;
3) He has the x-factor that will bring fans to games.
4) I cant remember the last time there was a marquee, or even noteworthy, prop signing in Australia.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The other prop options for the Reds are:
- Feao (LHP)
- Paraka (LHP)
- Faagase (LHP I thought, but can play THP)
- Kite (THP)
- Talaki (THP)

All currently involved with City, and most haven't exactly covered themselves in glory so far against some other admittedly strong scrums.

Anywhere from 2 - 4 (at the very least 1 LHP and 1 THP) of these guys will be in the Reds squad / WTS somewhere, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regarding outside backs, there's also the following bit of scuttlebutt floating around.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...come-an-olympian/story-e6frf3pc-1227054270677

Rugby clubs have been wowed with Barba’s speed and the Reds are understood to be interested in signing the winger/fullback.

The ARU’s Sevens program also views him as a star in the making. If he switched now, he would have 18 months to learn the game for the 2016 Olympics.

Barba’s manager Chris Orr said the Reds or Australian Sevens were the most likely options.

Younger brother of Ben Barba.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Signing any schoolboy player is a risk. It's a calculated risk though. The guy is much more likely to be a test player than a guy a few years older who never excelled to anywhere near that level as a younger player.

You obviously can't sign every schoolboy star but you can't expect them to hang around waiting for an opportunity until you are ready to sign them. Someone else will snap them up in the meantime.

Every squad needs to maintain a mix between having young players who are being developed into hopefully being future stars and players who have some experience and are ready to go straight away.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I look forward to seeing what Tupou can do. Particularly if he comes on fresh around the 70 minute mark and gets to have a run a few tiring defenders.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think he will be seen in Reds colours next year, he needs to be exposed to real non-school first grade scrum first.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If he's a foreign development player he HAS to be on a 2 year full time contract Reg. Can't be a training contract for a foreign dev player.

He'd be on minimum full time contract around 60K (inc super)

I just hope we aren't setting him up to fail. Imagine 5 props injured next year, of course you play the kid on a full time contract, he fails dismally (because he's never been in a full time pro system before and has had less than 6 months elite training) and these forums call him the worst signing since..

Just spoke to the media guys at the Reds and they confirmed a few things.

Thor won't be on a Reds full time contract next year. He won't be in their 30. Think of it as a development contract with Queensland Rugby, rather than Reds specific. Obviously he will within the system and get access to the benefits (coaching and facilities) that come with that.

Obviously it is hoped he comes through the system and stays long term and we benefit from the ground work put in. Slipps played for QLD at 20, so you can suggest he's probably at least a year away from being legitimately considered for Super Rugby. There's no expectation he will be delivering on the professional stage next year and everyone knows he has a hell of a lot of work to do before he gets that opportunity.

The QRU have just sent out some more clips from RG about so I will have a listen to those later and let you know more.

But that should clarify some questions. A little?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks Reg. I really want to see him do well on and off the paddock. The reds have always had a good family culture. I am hoping it really suits him.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I know everyone is talking about tupou, but i'm still concerned about the backrow. Can anyone tell me if Leroy Houston is under contract next year? i think hes playing with bath but could he be a good signing? i didn't see much of him as i wasn't such a big rugby fan as i am now but hes certainly big enough to give us the impact we need at 117kgs, its just a question of whether he is in the Sitaleki Timani mold and is a big pussy for his size.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks at @rugbyreg

Its no Bledisole Cup and were equal world cup wins but its still a good feeling that we managed to steal him from NZ rugby that change there own rules to keep him. And to top it off Quade Cooper called him to help seal the deal.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks Reg. So he was announced as a signing, but he's not actually signed as a player, rather as a general employee of the QRU (which all players are anyway) whose duties will involve weight lifting etc.?

This isn't intended as facetious btw

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
My issue with Leroy Houston is how inconstant he was in his first stint with the Reds. A player isn't expected to be an outstanding world beater every game of the season but the difference in his good and bad games was significant. One week, line bending runs and plenty of work and the next he would have struggled to make an impact playing 3rd grade club rugby.

It seemed to be built into his 'mentality' for lack of a better term so I'm not sure if he'd be the best signing.

EDIT: In saying all that though, if there is no one else around and he's available then I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
My issue with Leroy Houston is how inconstant he was in his first stint with the Reds. A player isn't expected to be an outstanding world beater every game of the season but the difference in his good and bad games was significant. One week, line bending runs and plenty of work and the next he would have struggled to make an impact playing 3rd grade club rugby.

It seemed to be built into his 'mentality' for lack of a better term so I'm not sure if he'd be the best signing.

EDIT: In saying all that though, if there is no one else around and he's available then I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks Mate, I hadnt seen him play for the reds so that was exactly what i was wondering, if thats the case and if that hasnt changed than he definitely isnt the best choice to sign, however im sruggling to think of anyone else?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know everyone is talking about tupou, but i'm still concerned about the backrow. Can anyone tell me if Leroy Houston is under contract next year? i think hes playing with bath but could he be a good signing? i didn't see much of him as i wasn't such a big rugby fan as i am now but hes certainly big enough to give us the impact we need at 117kgs, its just a question of whether he is in the Sitaleki Timani mold and is a big pussy for his size.

Leroy got voted Player's Player at Bath last season and started @ #8 for the season opener last week. While I don't know his contract status you'd think with that accolade they'd offer him a decent contract and he'd be pretty happy there.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Leroy got voted Player's Player at Bath last season and started @ #8 for the season opener last week. While I don't know his contract status you'd think with that accolade they'd offer him a decent contract and he'd be pretty happy there.

Well if hes improved from what he apparently was here than perhaps we could do alot worse? hes only 27 and hes 13kgs bigger than shatz and looks to at his best, be a capable of big tackles,godd offloading game, and good at getting over the gain line.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If Burgess makes a fist of rugby he may push Leeroy out of the 8 jersey. Far from convinced this will happen, though.

Pretty sure Bath has Houston under contract for at least the next year and I've also heard he's happy there. He's been playing well too, exactly the type of player we could use right now. Almost identical to Vito in style.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thanks to some poor miguided soul on the Australia v Argentina thread, I have dug up some old Reds highlights.

PS For those from the other thread, look for Eales around the ground. Apparently that play is "useless".

Enjoy!

Sharks v Reds, 1996:

Canes v Reds, 1998:

The last has been posted here before, 1996 flogging of the Blues (I hope Dismal doesn't see this):

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks to some poor miguided soul on the Australia v Argentina thread, I have dug up some old Reds highlights.

PS For those from the other thread, look for Eales around the ground. Apparently that play is "useless".

Enjoy!

Sharks v Reds, 1996:

Interesting that they had Horan playing at 15 and Little at 12 in that game. Who was at 13? Dan Herbert?

Status
Not open for further replies.