• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
CFS was excellent before the injuries and is a capped Wallaby. Really don't know what to make of all this Kerevi talk. I have suggested CFS for 12 before so maybe that will work. Imagine the go forward in that backline.

Taps & Fainga'a have a long way to come back before being in my XV.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
CFS is talented blah blah and blah. Right thru schools and beyond..
BUT he gets injured, one way or another regularly. It just happens to some players. Best example was Aiden Toua.

Would love the bloke to have an injury free season - IMO thats very important for the Reds in 2015

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
CFS was excellent before the injuries and is a capped Wallaby. Really don't know what to make of all this Kerevi talk. I have suggested CFS for 12 before so maybe that will work. Imagine the go forward in that backline.

I think all the talk is based on the fact that during the last 3 months Kerevi has been one of the most dominant ball running backs in Australian rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

CFS has scored a number of opportunistic tries yes. You're kidding yourself if you think he has shown to be a more attacking threat than Kerevi has in every game he plays. He runs around liked he's fucking covered in spiders for fucks sake. Seriously, Kuridrani for the wallabies on the weekend, that's what Kerevi has actually done, every single game I have watched (admittedly only Reds vs Force, Reds vs Waratahs, BC vs Stars and BC vs Rising though).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd have them both there.

15 Hunt
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kerevi
12 Taps
11 CFS
10 Quade
9 Genia.

That's obviously best case scenario with regards injuries etc. It's also a long season with no breaks (other than byes) so I don't expect to see it too often.

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
I would be starting CFS at #13 for the start of the season and bringing Kerevi on as impact player until he can prove himself consistently at a super rugby level. Then possibly starting Kerevi at #13 and moving CFS to the wing and moving Turner to the bench.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Kerevi did more in 2 games of Super Rugby last year than CFS managed in the previous 2 years of Super Rugby.

Kerevi all the way, full-stop, absolutely no question.

Yes he was good in those 2 games. Very good even. Think you are going a bit over the top though with your analysis of CFS.

CFS has scored a number of opportunistic tries yes.
You're kidding yourself if you think he has shown to be a more attacking threat than Kerevi has in every game he plays. He runs around liked he's fucking covered in spiders for fucks sake. Seriously, Kuridrani for the wallabies on the weekend, that's what Kerevi has actually done, every single game I have watched (admittedly only Reds vs Force, Reds vs Waratahs, BC vs Stars and BC vs Rising though).

Not kidding anyone, you are putting words in my mouth. Just don't think CFS should be forgotten so quickly. Anyway, let's see if Kerevi can maintain this for an extended period of Super Rugby. I hope so and am not having a dig but it's obviously a lot easier said than done.

Chill out guys, I am not saying Kerevi has been bad. Seems he is the new sacred goat. I really hope he can be the answer to the Reds 13 needs. I'm just not forgetting about his competition for the spot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As a starting Super Rugby player Kerevi had one great game and one poor one.

CFS was injured even at school—he missed all the Oz Schools games in his last year because of his hamstring problems—and his pro career has been littered with fragile moments.

The jury is still out on both these fellows; let's hope they both come right.

T

Train Without a Station

He was still close to our best attacking threat against the Waratahs Lee. Not sure you could say it was poor. His distribution at times was average.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kerevi tried to do too much vs the Waratahs and ended up hurting more than helping. The Reds backline was all at sea in that game, which is a shame as the Reds forwards put in a great effort.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't think anyone advocating starting kerevi is suggesting CFS be discarded, just used on the wing in a manner that will get the most out of his, and turner's, dodgy legs. As it stands CFS looks like a perfect impact option, injected at 13 or on the wing 50 to 60 minutes in. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember his best performances being off the bench.

T

Tip

I'd have them both there.

15 Hunt
14 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Kerevi
12 Taps
11 CFS
10 Quade
9 Genia.

This. Perhaps sub A'Fai in for Taps as you don't necessarily need his left boot with JOC (James O'Connor) & Hunt on the field. The Reds just seem to go better with A'Fai leading the d-line.

B

Bobby Sands

You always need a left boot, if all your other kickers are right-footed. Especially in center-field.

Taps has be played, and left at 12 for mine.

T

Train Without a Station

I know this is an unpopular view but I have found CFS defensively suspect. Not in tackling but actual defensive decision making.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I know this is an unpopular view but I have found CFS defensively suspect. Not in tackling but actual defensive decision making.
I've seen this too, but oddly he appeared to have more issues on the wing then at 13 where as it's the other way for most. He's not unwilling though and I imagine it's something that more then anything needs some consistent time fit practising either in game or training. The sort of thing the nrc would have been perfect for.

T

Train Without a Station

That being said CFS has played most under Graham's regressing defense hasn't he? Anybody who didn't have a lot of appearances in the stronger defensive years is going to leave a poor impression in that regard.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Link thinks enough of CFS to throw him in for the Wallabies when not many others thought it would happen. I find it very unlikely he will be used as an impact player and is definitely good enough to be in the XV. His defence may have been suspect but a lot of people suggest Kerevi's is as well.

With Hunt and JOC (James O'Connor) the Reds have a lot more impact running in the backs so it may come down to who provides the best balance at 13. What is Kerevi's passing game like? With JOC (James O'Connor) and Turner/CFS on the wings we are going to want to use them.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Kerevi doesn't need to be a great distributor if we are looking at playing Taps/Hunt at 12. He's alright as it is but I don't think CFS is much better in that department.

If we're going the second-five route I'm more concerned about the ability of the 13 to dominate contact on the second or third phase and then allowing us to bring the outside backs into the fold hitting the gaps at pace.

We may well see Kerevi at 12 and Taps at 13 though based on Richard's selections last season. I'm a bigger fan of the punch being at 13 but he's coaching the Reds, not me.

That gap between what seems to be the best positions for certain guys in the back line and where Richard is actually going to play them concerns me.

Status
Not open for further replies.