• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry to sound anal guys but if you're replying to someone whos written a long block of text, can you please try to include only the parts you deem relevant? A bit annoying scrolling through half a page of repeated text from replies. My time is precious!!

Dog, whilst most people agree with you I would suggest that none of us read it a second third or fourth time.

You do ???????

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Albert didn't go overseas, Chris ate him.

Based on nothing but my own speculations/observations and with an abhorrent lack of empirical evidence to back up most of these choices, I would like to see this side given a go:

This post should have been labelled as NSFW (not safe for work). As generally anything that gets me that aroused can't be safe for the office. I was going to head over to the local library to watch the cricket on my lunch break but I'm going to have to wait a few minutes now!

Oh and I also heard that Holmes would miss the first couple of rounds due to his NRC knee injury. Would love an update!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I notice people keep listing Holmes as starting THP, last I heard is that he would miss the first few games of the season.. Has this changed?

From reports earlier in the pre-season Holmes is scheduled to return sometime between rounds 4-5. Fa'agase and Talakai will share the THP duties with Slipper staying in his preferred position at LHP. Thor will start the season in Colts with Brothers.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I tend to think Kuridrani is not really ready for Super Rugby. I think he'd be strong in attack but his defence would be found out.

I think JOC (James O'Connor) and CFS will be the first choice wingers for the Reds. Hunt at fullback and Tapuai at 12.

I'm not expecting to see that team - just my own selections if I had to do it tomorrow morning.

Kuridrani got sold up river by the players inside of him too many times during the NRC for me to figure out if he's just a poor defender or was stuck trying to operate in a poor defensive system. I hope this doesn't continue with the Reds.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think any of our wingers would ever be picked in a side due to their defensive stability (I'm not including JOC (James O'Connor) and CFS in that statement as I see them better utilized in other positions) so it will really come down to how their offensive skills gel with the team IMO.

T

TOCC

Sorry to sound anal guys but if you're replying to someone whos written a long block of text, can you please try to include only the parts you deem relevant? A bit annoying scrolling through half a page of repeated text from replies. My time is precious!!

Just to contribute to your anal-ness, i don't think its necessary to quote the post which directly preceded yours, it would seem obvious as to who the post is directed at.

From reports earlier in the pre-season Holmes is scheduled to return sometime between rounds 4-5. Fa'agase and Talakai will share the THP duties with Slipper staying in his preferred position at LHP. Thor will start the season in Colts with Brothers.
Can't say I'm thrilled by either Talakai or Fa'agase been relied upon as the starting THP's, incredibly inexperienced and still considered pup's in the front row fraternity.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I love reading about the potential Reds backline. Some might find it tedious, I certainly don't.

For me.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. CFS
12. Tapuai
13. Kerevi
14. O'Connor
15. Hunt

One thing that should be taken into consideration is that the Reds backline will change throughout the season. However, this primarily isn't dangerous but an implicit benefit for the Reds, due to the plethora of talent possessed in the backline and squad. I mean, you can fit Kuridrani, Anthony Fiangaa, Turner into each respective position easily.

Regarding Thor, Matheson from Brothers is also an experienced scrum coach, whom has done wonders for the club with scrummaging. When Thor comes and plays club rugby, I personally think his development won't hinder but improve with assistance of a former Queensland front-rower.

My biggest hope is that each players get's through pre-season fit and not injured, other than that, all shall be swell.

T

TOCC

I just watched the Reds vs Hurricanes game from 2014, and a few things i notices.. CFS seems pretty poor in defence, he regularly made shoulder contact on a player but then his arms fell off and the player kept running through.. He also tends to be indecisive about coming off the wing and a slow in getting back and during kick chases.. Yes he is great in contact when he has the ball, but he can also be lazy in defence.

The other thing was, in the first half Slipper played THP and Daley played LHP, the Reds scrum was getting dominated. In the second half they replaced Daley with Holmes, Holmes went to THP and Slipper to LHP and the scrum was immediately stronger and forced a few penalties.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
With you there, TBD. Brumby Runner and Peter Toohey, could you two have a good look at Rule 5. Thanks. And please, delete ALL the quoted bit in your posts.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'm pretty sure Paraka is only a loosehead, Faagase and Talakai are the other tightheads. If Holmes is fit I'd like to see Faagase alongside Paraka on the bench to start the season.

Well I am only a back so while I'd like to think I know a thing or two about the scrum I'm largely just pissing upwind until I see the ball about to come out ;)

Nice spot though.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
the reds with the starting uninjured front row, has arguably the stongest Auusie scrum.

Most definitely and IMO it's a great move to introduce each one of them early into the fray. It's not like the whole front row is inexperienced Slipper, Fainga'a alongside a rookie prop is not a bad ploy. Daley, Hanson and the other would be under a little more pressure however more than capable of holding their own.

T

TOCC

After watching a few highlights from this year I don't doubt that Tapuai or Fainga'a will start at inside-centre.. Taps was playing some good footy this year, he is a hard worker on the field, he covers a lot of ground and backs up continually, I think he will be one to shine in 2015 by having the likes of Hunt, JOC (James O'Connor) and Kerevi outside him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
KEY signing James O’Connor will now not link with the Queensland Reds until next month after being granted a brief extension to help his injury-hit French club Toulon.
The former Wallaby back was expected in Brisbane this week until Toulon requested he stay on in France because of an injury to Australian teammate Matt Giteau.
O’Connor, potentially up for a frontline role this weekend against English heavyweights Leicester, will now join the Reds in Brisbane early next month.
“We’ve been working with James for some time, who has been in the process of tying up his personal affairs before returning home,” Queensland Rugby Union chief executive Jim Carmichael said.

James O'Connor won’t join the Reds until next month.
“Due to injuries at Toulon, we’re happy for him to stay there for a couple more weeks.
“We believe these extra games in Europe will assist James to prepare for the Super Rugby season.
“James will be back training with the Reds at Ballymore in early January in preparation for our pre-season games.”
O’Connor and Karmichael Hunt will get their first taste of playing in a Reds jersey in the January 31 trial against the Melbourne Rebels in Cairns.
O’Connor has been used as a utility for Toulon with periods at wing, fullback and flyhalf plus time goalkicking.
Reds coach Richard Graham has assessed the best fit for O’Connor at the Reds is on the wing.
His ability to roam off the wing to work off flyhalf Quade Cooper is a major potential plus his handling adds to the Reds potency in a key area.

Status
Not open for further replies.