• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the comments about varying styles of player only matters to a certain degree. I think most coaches will pick the player they believe is in the best form on a consistent basis rather than opting for a certain style of player that they think will suit their gameplan best.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the comments about varying styles of player only matters to a certain degree. I think most coaches will pick the player they believe is in the best form on a consistent basis rather than opting for a certain style of player that they think will suit their gameplan best.

BH - this could be the critical question that governs the Wallabies' selections later in the year. With the emphasis that Michael Cheika apparently puts on his game plan, there could well be some interesting contests for spots in the national team, eg, Speight v Horne; Honey Badger v JOC (James O'Connor); Kuridrani v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper); To'omua v Beale; Quade v Foley; Phipps v Genia; Palu v McCalman v Higgers; Hooper v Gill v Hodgson v Pocock; TPN v Squeaky etc where it could be seen that in most cases, one of the contestants fits the game plan whereas others could conceivably be in better form at the time. We'll have to see how it pans out I think.

Off topic, sorry!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH - this could be the critical question that governs the Wallabies' selections later in the year. With the emphasis that Michael Cheika apparently puts on his game plan, there could well be some interesting contests for spots in the national team, eg, Speight v Horne; Honey Badger v JOC (James O'Connor); Kuridrani v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper); To'omua v Beale; Quade v Foley; Phipps v Genia; Palu v McCalman v Higgers; Hooper v Gill v Hodgson v Pocock; TPN v Squeaky etc where it could be seen that in most cases, one of the contestants fits the game plan whereas others could conceivably be in better form at the time. We'll have to see how it pans out I think.

Off topic, sorry!

I agree that Cheika isn't going to change his gameplan based on who he selects but I also think he'll back the best players to play to the gameplan he wants. Based on the various news reports he's visited each franchise (or is still in the process of visiting them) and has made it crystal clear what he is looking for.

I don't see any of those players not being able to fit in with the gameplan he wants nor being unable to demonstrate that they are extremely fit, hard working and physical throughout the Super Rugby season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hooper played in a dominant team, and pack for that matter and had no injury interruptions. Other than running, I can't think of a part of his game that is better. But Gilly needs to prove this, not me, and it's done on the pitch not on a forum.

Hooper's kicking game is better than Gilly's.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
BH I am not really trying to disagree with you entirely. I think our lack of depth means there are times when we will have to try and pick the best players and adapt, but I also think some of our selections (such as front row, and to a lesser degree half back) are consistent with the approach of picking players to suit a game plan.

There is a quite interesting post somewhere on this site which talks about the ABs specifically excluding some players from the selection process due to their perceived lack of ability to suit the game plan.

I do see a number of players who will have to change/adapt their game to meet Cheika's requirements. Number one is Genia who, even in best form, does not tend to pass straight from the deck but rather run at defenders to play others into space. Despite the criticism he has received, it is very effective when done well (unfortunately Genia hasn't been doing it well for a while), but it is at odds with Cheika's plan.

I also think there will be implications to the selection of our back row.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I do see a number of players who will have to change/adapt their game to meet Cheika's requirements. Number one is Genia who, even in best form, does not tend to pass straight from the deck but rather run at defenders to play others into space. Despite the criticism he has received, it is very effective when done well (unfortunately Genia hasn't been doing it well for a while), but it is at odds with Cheika's plan.

In Genia's case, I think the biggest thing that contributed to his poor form was that his steps with ball in hand went from being forwards and putting defenders in doubt and creating space for those outside him to being backwards which just put everyone else under pressure.

I think if Genia started playing like he did in 2011 he does bring speed to his game and starts to look like an irresistable option at halfback. If he achieved that I think he'd put a lot of pressure on Cheika to select him even if he isn't trying to pass from the ground.

I think it is less down to style and more in terms of how his play is influencing the players outside him and the team's overall performance. Even with a difference in style, the result when Genia is in form is fast attacking play which creates opportunities for his backline to attack.

I think there can be more than one way to skin a cat and I'd be surprised if Cheika didn't also see that.

T

TOCC

Hmm I agree and disagree, I tend to think "style" of play is a reflection of the player attributes and flaws.. Simplifying it down you can look at someone like Simmons who gets a massive leg up at the selection table because of his line out attributes.

Same could be said about a number of player in other positions, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a better Super Rugby season then Kuridrani but there would be few who would argue against Tevita starting outside centre because of the lines he runs and his ability to break tackles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
BH, but that would actually mean a change in game plan, rather than just a change in personnel. Part of the problem was the direction of Genia's run, but the forwards will also have to align differently to run work off a running half compared to running off a pass from the back of the ruck, so it mean a complete change in style.

I don't see any reason Cheika would change a game plan to accommodate one player. I think it is more likely that Genia will need to adapt his play. On the EOYT Genia was already noticeably trying to work on his speed of clearance. His running game can then come into play in broken play.

Anyway, I guess this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

T

TOCC

Not surprising, and it his has been a weakness for a few seasons now with so much of the game built around the halves.. Karmichael at fullback and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing are both playmakers who will fit the description of below.

"The way we want to play is a little bit different to the way we've played the last four or five years, it gives more responsibility to everyone else as opposed to myself and Quade," he said.

"In the past, opposition teams have shut down the nine and 10 and more often than that you shut down the game, so now that we have more threats across the park and guys who attract attention it'll only be good things for the guys."

"That takes pressure off in the sense that we can just do our thing and sit back and play how we normally play rather than trying to control everything."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...l-be-better-for-the-reds-20150120-12u2sp.html

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting/tough start to the season for the Reds. 5 games before the bye and I think we would be wanting to win at least 3 of them. The opening round against the brumbies will be particularly tough.

I'd like to think we'll beat the Force and the Highlanders. If we could beat the Tahs and the Brumbies at home, that will set us up for a great season. If we go into the bye with only 2 wins I don't hold out much hope for the season.

B

brumbies20years

I'd suggest he won't start at 15. Reds will struggle this year to win many games.

T

TOCC

Thanks for the quality input as usual Brumbie20year..

Karmichael will be starting fullback for the Reds in 2015, both he and the coach have spoken of him playing this position. It makes sense given it was a weakness of the Reds between 2012-2014. Reds need a fullback who can kick effectively but also second as a playmaker maker to alleviate the oppositions focus on Cooper..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not to mention it is most likely his best position. He has all the attributes to be a very good 15. The other option is 12, but personally I think he is better suited at 15 where he can operate wider.

Status
Not open for further replies.