• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I usually like a lot of Phil Lutton's article's but not so much this one today basically advocating for Quade to depart the Reds.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...n-off-with-2011-comrades-20150414-1mkuo6.html

The last thing the Reds and their fans need is for Quade to leave. He's just turned 27. Giteau is 33 this year and it's been shown that Oz Rugby pissed him off 4 years too early. Fair enough if Quade left after the 2019 World Cup for a couple years as the Reds all-time most capped player (though Holmes might still be playing) but I don't think we should be saying it's ok to bugger off now. If he thinks he needs the cash, surely the ARU could help stitch up a Japan stint for him.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
I usually like a lot of Phil Lutton's article's but not so much this one today basically advocating for Quade to depart the Reds.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...n-off-with-2011-comrades-20150414-1mkuo6.html

The last thing the Reds and their fans need is for Quade to leave. He's just turned 27. Giteau is 33 this year and it's been shown that Oz Rugby pissed him off 4 years too early. Fair enough if Quade left after the 2019 World Cup for a couple years as the Reds all-time most capped player (though Holmes might still be playing) but I don't think we should be saying it's ok to bugger off now. If he thinks he needs the cash, surely the ARU could help stitch up a Japan stint for him.
I agree. Quade must stay.

B

Bobby Sands

Encouraging match review from the weekend. Article attached.

"Manly broke through in the 14th minute with a masterful break from Sam Lane, bamboozling Sydney University with outstanding footwork and skill."

"Manly’s Lane was again instrumental in scoring, setting up Harry Bergelin’s pass to Chris Yarrington in a perfectly executed run."

"Hooper was in play again just minutes later, after a perfectly weighted kick from Sam Lane saw him flying towards to try line."

http://sportsaustralia.com/2015/04/11/shute-shield-round-four-review

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Tangawizi, my take on that piece is that Lutton was more saying how understandable it is that QC (Quade Cooper) may want to leave and sort of good luck to a wonderful player who's achieved so much for QLD rugby, vs 'advocating' his departure as such.

And surely, Lutton's right, at least in broad terms. The Reds spiralling to this appalling low and all that it's entailed and no sign of the QRU acting to properly fix the coaching mess that's responsible for it all, well, all of this is going to promote a willingness to depart, or at least consider such, by our best players.

They can see serious damage coming to their own playing reputations - and thus their economic value - coming from the whole rolling debacle.

This is but another major risk consequence of the QRU's passivity.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
'

And surely, Lutton's right, at least in broad terms. The Reds spiralling to this appalling low and all that it's entailed and no sign of the QRU acting to properly fix the coaching mess that's responsible for it all, well, all of this is going to promote a willingness to depart, or at least consider such, by our best players.

They can see serious damage coming to their own playing reputations - and thus their economic value - coming from the whole rolling debacle.

This is but another major risk consequence of the QRU's passivity.

The hiring of Graham was not an inspired choice, and many of us were scratching our heads over this one. I doubt that sacking him for an interim coach mid-season is going to help matters, we'd be just as well off seeing what happens with the coaching situation with RWC.

What I dread is the return to the bad old days with Slack, Miller, and Jones at the helm - awful appointments and awful squad selection, whilst the QRU were also running the grassroots game into the ground.

I'll wait and see whom they replace Graham with, and see what plan we have to usher in fresh talent. We managed to unearth the 2011 team from lean pickings (I still have to resist the urge to weep at the thought of Barnes and Johansson in our backline), let's hope that the likes of Frisby and Tuttle step up in the next few seasons.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)

With Foley likely leaving it'd be an absolute disaster for the Wallabies to see Quade leave, but I can see him leaving. It'd be a shame considering I don't think we've ever seen his true potential unearthed due to injury and various other factors

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The Reds need to drag Graham out the back and shoot him, as soon as is physically possible.

He's just not up to this standard of rugby, and it's going to destroy all the good work the Reds have done since 2009.

The squad is great, all the talent and skill a new coach could possibly wish for, with the added benefit that he's replacing a poor and unpopular coach, so almost anything he does or says will be given a lash.

Never step into a great coach's shoes, but do everything you can to replace a shitty coach, especially if the squad is good.

Get a better coach, and find two big angry bastards to play in the backrow. Shatz, Quirk and Browning are never going to dominate anyone at this level, but they are good backups.

Throw the sink at Cooper too, if he goes you're fucked.

Edit: Someone teach Frisby how to tackle as well, he was astoundingly shit against the Bulls in defence. Made Ronan O'Gara look like Benson Stanley.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Does it matter how much the reds want cooper to stay?

If the ARU top up isn't enough this time, the reds can't actually pay him more than the super max contract can they?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
An article today about Wayne Bennett buying lithe, light hookers and halves for the Broncos as he knows the interchange rule in league will be dropped from 10 to 6. This means more tired forwards and ample opportunity for steppy, fleet-footed players who can read and exploit this. He might very well be interested in a shot at Cooper based on that, as I can't really think of many better at it.

Of all the criticism Quade copped during the various contract sagas, he's always stayed in the end - not the mercenary people made him out to be. I've had a strong feeling he would stay all season but now I truly believe it'll come down to whether or not Graham leaves, and at this stage that means we can assume Quade will be gone. A shame, but I can't blame him. He's here for QLD as long as we stop fucking about.

T

TOCC

Does it matter how much the reds want cooper to stay?

If the ARU top up isn't enough this time, the reds can't actually pay him more than the super max contract can they?

Not exactly limited but for players like Quade to remain in Australia they need sizeable ARU top-ups to compete with international offers.

Right now blokes like Foley and Beale who are playing in a form team and working with the Wallaby coach will be higher priorities for re-signing.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's unfortunate that Cooper, Genia and Horwill will finish there Reds Careers on such a low note.

Even though Quade is still to decide, I have always felt that these 3 would leave end of 2015.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Cheika is working to keep Cooper in Australia.

Perhaps he can coach the Wallabies and the Reds next year ;)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Cheika is working to keep Cooper in Australia.

Perhaps he can coach the Wallabies and the Reds next year ;)

Yes, it's remarkable that it's Chek alone that has to lead the way in publicly praising and recognising QC (Quade Cooper)'s talents and high value to Aus rugby! Well said, that man! This is the single most important player to deliver a recent S15 title to Australian rugby when, at that time, a big positive was desperately needed for the health of the code here. This is a player who drew huge crowds, attracted families and kids to rugby, and brought attention to the code.

Where is QLD rugby in all this?

And I note that in today's The Australian QC (Quade Cooper) is quoted as saying (along the lines of) 'money's not the be all and end all in terms of new offers, it's also about respect....' Note that he's now saying these sorts of things publicly, and he further noted that there's no clarity re the Reds future coaching situation.

What greater clue could he give as to the emotions he's likely feeling re his recent treatment at the Reds, or some of the issues he's concerned over.

Status
Not open for further replies.