• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just saw James O'Connor on Chapel Street in Melbourne. Looked like he was getting good exercise from carrying a solid dozen of his girlfriend's shopping bags.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Saw the Lions get into Brisbane airport earlier. Tried to talk a few of the players into throwing the game because we need the win more than they do. None of them appear to have a sense of humour so I got out of there before they decided to hold an impromptu training session with me as the tackle bag.

B

Bobby Sands

Story of CFS from when is was 15

Fabulous talent but lacks motivation or mindset to use that talent on a consistent basis. Bloke is certainly nearly always suspect injury wise as well

C'mon.

I know we expected Chris to be scoring 5 tries a [URL='http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/#']game
arrow-10x10.png
[/URL] by now, and dislodging the ball in every tackle he made. But he is after all on 22 this year, and has missed alot of footy through injury.

Let's be a little more balanced in our critiquing shall we?

Perhaps he appears to be "lacking motivation" but is actually just low on confidence. Both on his bodies ability to stay healthy, and learning to transition from Schoolboy rugby to Pro rugby without pretty much ever playing Prems or NRC.

Very few people could have made that run against the Brumbies. It was a rare combination of footwork, power and balance. Great to see.

T

TOCC

I agree BS, it's easy to criticise CFS because he came into the squad with lofty expectations, but how much of that were the media and fans getting overexcited about a player based off his schoolboy hype. He looks to be low on confidence, I think this flows into hesitation and unwillingness to back himself which to the armchair critic could appear to be laziness.

He could very well be lazy, but I'd love to see him get a full season at NRC just to ease some of expectations and pressure and see how he performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would just love to see the man reach his unbelievable potential.

He is now 22 , been out of school for several years and there are few excuses anymore. And he is a back

Take Curtis - fabulous schoolboy and being a forward will become better and better. Still hasn't got there yet but is very dedicated young man

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Please forgive me for barging into this intimate Reds conversation as a Tahs supporter (those Reds lot who know me are quite aware how Tah'd fer life I am). BUT, we've been hearing for years how talented this lot of wow backs these youngsters are. I had an indepth conversation with Knuckles Connolly before last year's Tahs' match in Brisbane on this exact point; he opined Oz rugby as a whole needed much better coaching. This may've been due to his then-recent return from a series or rugby seminars from the Land-of-the-Long-White-Cloud. Was his suggestion a pointed observation about the Reds' coaching setup?

B

Bobby Sands

^ Probably. But that is hardly surprising?

I would guess however, that he is referring to the professionalism of the European academies set-ups that we are just not even in the same ball-park with.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Please forgive me for barging into this intimate Reds conversation as a Tahs supporter (those Reds lot who know me are quite aware how Tah'd fer life I am). BUT, we've been hearing for years how talented this lot of wow backs these youngsters are. I had an indepth conversation with Knuckles Connolly before last year's Tahs' match in Brisbane on this exact point; he opined Oz rugby as a whole needed much better coaching. This may've been due to his then-recent return from a series or rugby seminars from the Land-of-the-Long-White-Cloud. Was his suggestion a pointed observation about the Reds' coaching setup?

Lindommer I think the Reds backs get thrown jerseys too young. We seem to be missing that late 20 something generation at the peak of their powers forcing the younger ones to work harder to break through.

T

TOCC

Yeah i think John Connolly is indeed correct, other countries have better coaches then Australia. New Zealand for instance, not only has a greater player depth but it also has a greater coaching depth. From schoolboys through to Super Rugby they have more professional/semi-professional coaching position, but i think the biggest gap or skill deficiency is in the post-schoolboys time frame where players are yet to make super rugby.

I think the NRC will help out in a large way, in essence they have now opened 8 new positions for professional head coaches in Australia through the NRC. This should see a flow on of coaching knowledge and expertise, to highlight the Brisbane City/QLD Country teams they had Nick Stiles and Steve Meehan as the head coaches but more importantly they had Premier Rugby coaches as the assistant coaches, this experience will no doubt help those coaches and its something they can pass onto their Premier Grade clubs..

end rant

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Lots of good points above.

There is also the strength of mind, of dedication that is inherent in all true champions. The hard thing is to keep pushing yourself mentally.

We all have seen many schoolboys with great talent who have failed to reach their potential. Some like Aiden Toua have a terrible run of injuries but most fail because they have not had the mental strength to go all the way and for a long period of time. We also know those sorts of players. - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) springs to mind

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I would just love to see the man reach his unbelievable potential.

I'd just like to see him stop fucking jogging every time he isn't literally holding the ball. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I just don't see how his lackadaisical nature, particularly on defense, can be anything other than laziness at this point.

If he's so nervous about his body holding up that he's afraid to even break out into a tepid run when he's needed to close a gap in the defensive line.. he shouldn't be on the pitch, or anywhere near it. (I don't think this is the case)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd just like to see him stop fucking jogging every time he isn't literally holding the ball. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I just don't see how his lackadaisical nature, particularly on defense, can be anything other than laziness at this point.

If he's so nervous about his body holding up that he's afraid to even break out into a tepid run when he's needed to close a gap in the defensive line.. he shouldn't be on the pitch, or anywhere near it. (I don't think this is the case)

This in itself is surely the responsibility of the coach(es) to address this problem of CFS's play. Some meaningful one-on-one discussion, like "Chris, mate, some good plays in that last game, but mate, you looked like a three legged wombat without a burrow for the rest of it. Mate, keep that up and you'll be lining up for the next premiers club game"

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree with @USRugger on CFS . And IMO should not be in the team at the moment. Just a waist of talent on the field until he finds his groove again.

Reactions: gel

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Can only keep so many I suppose.

Maybe we should really be TRYING to identify not only players with ability but also those that have the necessary mental toughness

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
There's always the wacky notion of building a culture and an environment that blokes want to stay a part of;although you'd struggle to find a more dysfunctional setup than the Tahs for most of the years since professionalism started, and they've hardly had difficulty retaining players, so what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.