• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems Carmichael has now permanently hitched his wagon to Richard Graham.

If Graham fails in 2016 surely they both have to leave the joint.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'm not taking any moral high ground.
I'm just as pissed off as all of you.
I just don't see how making the reds bankrupt on top of being poorly coached cellar dwellers will help.
Besides - you'll renew your membership when the blood rage settles.
You know you will...

Reactions: daz

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
such a bizarre decision and I don't think there's any way it could be rationally explained. Carmichael's comments are equally bizarre -

"They would think 'why don't you just move the coach' without understanding all of the complexities"
Most rugby fans are astute enough to understand RG's appointment has not worked

"What we will be measured on next year is winning football games"
While 2014 and 2015 were about...

"..we've made a decision that will be seen by some as unpopular. We need them to feel we've made the right decision and that won't happen overnight"
In fact it will take one more season just to be sure -
"The one-year . the frank truth is . we need to be sure we've got it right"

The bit I find most weird is this infantilising of Graham and an almost willful ignorance of his record and the support structures that have been in place including coming on board to team that made the finals in the previous two seasons, with Australia's most innovative coach at the time and a plethora of Wallabies on hand.

"That requires him to build relationships and the leadership and maturity of his list."
"Previously, he had far too many responsibilities."

"We interviewed players, we interviewed coaches, administration, to get a personal sense of how people saw it. There were clearly some conflicts of personality along the way that we genuinely believed were circumstantial"

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
[Carmichael also said he believed Graham had a sound working relationship with the playing group despite constant rumours of unease during the season. He admitted there were some issues on the way but has backed him moving forward.
[/quote]

I remember getting sounds as school they were C's if I remember correctly. If the conversations I have had with players is anything to go by I also remember the scores under sound and they were Limited and Very Limited they are far closer to Graham's relationship with players than "sound" does in my textbook!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Awesome.
By the time all you fair weather supporters slink off I'm gonna be left with the best seats in the house and no queue for my beers.
It's not the players fault - I'll still support them.

I sincerely hope that is typed with your tongue firmly engaged in your cheek.

The clever folk at Monty Python’s Flying Circus predicted this 40 years ago:

King of Swamp Castle: When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Son, the strongest castle in all of England.

Jim Carmichael: When he first came here, he had a bad record. Everyone said I was daft to appoint a coach with a bad record, but I appointed him all the same, just to show them. Ewen coached instead of him at first. So I got rid of Ewen in the second year. And that year we forgave him ‘cause he was new. So we kept him on. Attendances fell, injuries mounted, players left, and there was till no improvement in results. In fact they got worse. But this time, we’ve given him even less to do. And that’s what you’re going to get, Queensland, the strongest Coach in all of the world.

Secret footage obtained from Ballymore Boardroom and CEO's office.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
I won't be renewing my Reds membership, and I have had it a long time. I urge anyone not renewing to also email the Reds (redsmembership@qru.com.au) and tell them why you aren't renewing.

For all of you who are going to renew and don't want to stop supporting the team just because of RG then consider this. Membership is the only voice we have when it comes to the QRU, it's possibly the only thing they will take notice of. If many don't renew, the QRU might even start to panic come the end of the year and change their decision.

Remember you can always renew the week before the 2016 season starts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A refined version of this would work well on the front page..
I'm not sure how 'refined' I can be at the moment. I'll see what I can come up with.
Mate I don't think any of us Qld writers are calm enough to write anything.
Just paste the Reds Presser followed by the word "Comment". Make the Headline - "Reds Cunning Plan to improve results for 2016 revealed" or something far more witty than that effort and sit back and watch the comment counter melt down.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
"We interviewed players, we interviewed coaches, administration, to get a personal sense of how people saw it. There were clearly some conflicts of personality along the way that we genuinely believed were circumstantial," Carmichael said.

I'd be interested to know how many players/staff gave honest assessments, bearing in mind that they might have had suspicions that this would be the result, so any negative feedback might be held against them by the retained coach.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So how does Carmichael come out today and say that Graham previously had too many responsibilities while at the same stage appointing him as both Head and Defensive coaches?

And I'm pretty sure they were spinning the same lines about "making sure we get things right" 12 months ago when the "recognising our responsibility" worst tag line in history was unveiled.

Actually, the CEO's message in the 2015 season guide says "In 2015, we are single minded in ensuring that we are again regarded as a Championship-winning organisation in every possible measure".

Well the only measures they can currently be regarded as champions at are spinning bullshit and pissing off their fan base.

And here we are set to do it all again in 2016.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not sure what to say about this decision.
As a Tahs fan I'm not really bothered by this.
But as looking at it from the point of how it will effect the overall standing of rugby here in Australia. If the Reds have another season like the last 2.
I wonder how the back room boys in St Leonard's are taking this decision.
Lastly I have a question for the QRU board do they really think RG will be able to attract quality players. (Who are they going to get to play 10 ).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
From Wayne Smith in The Australian a few minutes ago:

Laugh, or cry?
That just confirmation that the whole 'process ' was a sham.
Any board member that doesn't resign in protest,is there for their benefit not the stakeholders.
I feel really sorry for all Reds supporters,the Board couldn't destroy the joint in a more efficient manner if they tried.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Is a stadium full of grog you have to drain yourself enough to rose tint the game? Or are you just going to power through to catatonia?

Nah - I'll probably just get the sh#ts half way through the season and miss half the games despite paying for my membership. Just like 08/09.
But don't tell Scoey or TWAS or I'll lose the moral high ground.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It has just been announced that the "about to be published" book "Richard Graham's Coaching Achievements" has been shortlisted to join a very elite list of published works.

Click here to see the the other titles on that elite list.

Reds HQ must be mighty pissed at Cheika for not winning the Bledisloe Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.