• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Its says a lot when 7 of Queensland Reds Senior Squad were playing in the U20's in 2015.

At 23years old Nick Frisby is the 'senior' halves player, the remaining 4 halves players only have 6 Super Rugby caps between them.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Who are the extended squad players outside that new Senior 37 man squad?

Curious to know what forwards will actually will get the influence of Brad Thorn?

ATM I think its the two Mafi brothers (Hooker), T.Tupou (Prop), I Rodda (Lock)..........annnnnd thats it.....

What about extended squad backs? Think there is Mack Mason / and hopefully Henry Taefu, the ex Churchie players.

I imagine Thorn will also be involved in the QLD un20.

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
I can see the Starting 15 for round 1 being;

1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrick Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Scatz
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kurindrani
15. Ayumu Goromanu

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I believe that the Top League is finishing earlier to accommodate Super Rugby, so Hendrik Tui will be available, as the Aussies on flexible contracts in Japan.

Ah interesting, well in that case, would only Slipper, Douglas and JJT would be unavailable for round 1?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I can see the Starting 15 for round 1 being;

1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrick Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Scatz
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kurindrani
15. Ayumu Goromanu

Yes nice. Not great but nice. My concern is "is any one of that 15 slightly nervous of his starting position when you look at the 23'? In particular you need two front rows. But generally, how will leadership, starting from the coaching team, go. When they are all entitled to their slots?

Add one injury. Two. Three.

We look a lot better when the surgeries return, but even then, well looks like a slow season.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Who are the extended squad players outside that new Senior 37 man squad?

Curious to know what forwards will actually will get the influence of Brad Thorn?

ATM I think its the two Mafi brothers (Hooker), T.Tupou (Prop), I Rodda (Lock)....annnnnd thats it...

What about extended squad backs? Think there is Mack Mason / and hopefully Henry Taefu, the ex Churchie players.

I imagine Thorn will also be involved in the QLD un20.

Yes Henry is part of the extended squad.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
2016 St.George Queensland Reds Senior Squad

Outside backs
Chris Feauai-Sautia (re-signed)
Ayumu Goromaru (new signing)
Chris Kuridrani (re-signed)
Junior Laloifi (new signing)
Campbell Magnay
Eto Nabuli (new signing)
Izaia Perese (new signing)
Jamie-Jerry Taulagi (re-signed)

ENDS

So Reg, does this mean that Perese is in the full squad, not EPS? He looked really good in the NRC before injury but I hadn't realised that he was in the official playing squad vs wider training.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not sure. The wording is all very general. I reckon there are guys in that (including Perese) who are part of the EPS (including the Thor, Scott Gale, Mafi etc).

It's also not the full squad I reckon with the flyhalf and a lock surely being chased.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
There has been word that there is a potential Australian returning to fill the Super Rugby role. International still being chased at 10. Goromaru and Tui should return to the fold late Janurary with the Japanese League finals to end during that potentially earlier if their team doesn't proceed through.

A key factor of the Reds is that 80% of their squad is currently at preseason training with Goromaru, Tui, Holmes and Simmons to return in January. Slipper and Douglas are injured but the majority of the squad is available. IMO with the two late arrivals in January potentially three, line up could look a little different;

1. Daley
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. CFS
12. Hunt
13. Kerevi
14. Nabuli
15. Goromaru

16. Ready
17. Faagase
18. Talakai
19. L. Tui
20. H. Tui
21. Tuttle
22. A. Fainga'a
23. Kuridrani

Note; Hunt & Kerevi switch, early tip for 2016

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Intruder, each and everyone of your posts gives my a slightly bigger spring in my step.

Let's see how this goes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee I hope that Fakaosilea steps up.

Last decent game I saw him play I reckon was off the bench for the Australian Schoolboys. Plenty of promise for sure, and the type of player we need. Just need to see it in action.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What does everyone think of the new Reds slogan? "When you play for QLD nothing else matters." It's a good play by the marketing team to appeal to the extremely tribal part of most of us supporters.

For many though, I'm sure that rotten feeling that was the hangover from the 2015 season will be enduring until they see something on the field that shows them that we have turned a corner.
After this year but more specifically the high performance review, it has been really hard to allow myself to emotionally invest in the team like I used to; I want to but it's just not happening like it normally does.

I like what the slogan represents but a part of me is worried that to some fans it may come across as a bit disingenuous. I don't know what they could've done better but perhaps this is a time for fewer big statements and just allow the Rugby to do the talking?

I guess it's just a slogan. Anyway, I was interested to see what you all thought.

Reds Banner.JPG

Red-L

Frank Nicholson (4)
Has anyone got any ideas on potential 10's? The only ones I can think of that would be a good fit for the reds would be a few from top league such as Tusi Pisi, Elton Jantjies and Berick... Any others?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bryce Hegarty (33 Super Rugby caps) may be an affordable option after his Japan season.

- Brisbane boy. (Marist)
- Broncos un20 (can tackle)
- Offers depth at Fullback (games there with Rebels) with real speed, good size
- 1st choice no.10 at Rebels with 14 starts in 2014 but over taken by Debrazcini this year

BTW. Very keen to see Mack Mason get the 10 jersey for Qld u20!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What does everyone think of the new Reds slogan? "When you play for QLD nothing else matters." It's a good play by the marketing team to appeal to the extremely tribal part of most of us supporters.

For many though, I'm sure that rotten feeling that was the hangover from the 2015 season will be enduring until they see something on the field that shows them that we have turned a corner.
After this year but more specifically the high performance review, it has been really hard to allow myself to emotionally invest in the team like I used to; I want to but it's just not happening like it normally does.

I like what the slogan represents but a part of me is worried that to some fans it may come across as a bit disingenuous. I don't know what they could've done better but perhaps this is a time for fewer big statements and just allow the Rugby to do the talking?

I guess it's just a slogan. Anyway, I was interested to see what you all thought.

View attachment 7278

yep, probably the best for a while. Interesting they are playing the "Queensland" brand, not the "Reds". Obviously positioning to dismiss the off-field distractions "its all about playing for Queensland". I like it.

Perhaps may also point to a more 'basic' (Matt O'Connor-led) game plan. But in the end, you know, a win's a win and of course "Nothing Else Matters"

Status
Not open for further replies.