• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the issue with having Slipps as Captain is that he works so f'ing hard in the games that he has little breath to talk to the players. But he is turning into a reasonable ref wrangler. I don't mind senior players being responsible for chat to lift the team during the game.

Back to 2016..........

God I hope we can keep Gill, but I get the feeling that there is a "deal breaker" present & no amount of money will make him stay unless that condition is met. I just pray (and I am not the praying kind) that he is not lost to Australian rugby.

As to Curtis......... I feel for him because I do not think he has got much of a chance. I am still at a bit of a loss as to why Thomson was signed considering the number and quality of loose forwards we have on the roster. Personally I see Browning as more of an 8 than a blindside flanker and would like to see him get an extended run there, but......... see previous comment re number of loose forwards.

If it comes down to a choice between Gill & Browning, then you would take Gill every day of the week and twice on Sunday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday. I just hope we don't lose them both.......

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I guess the big, and valid, question is: are these 'new and young' signings 'stars' or, based upon their displayed rugby skills to date, credibly S18 stars of the future?

Of these signees below in your list, for me at least it's only Kuridrani, Talakai, and Frisby that have shone enough so far:

Sef Faagase - 2018
Michael Gunn - 2018
Adam Korczyk - 2018
Andrew Ready - 2018
James Tuttle - 2018
Karmichael Hunt - 2017
*Sam Talakai - 2017
* Nick Frisby - 2017
JJ Taulagi - 2017
Careyrn Neville - 2017
*Chris Kuridrani - 2017
Duncan Paia-aua - 2016

I agree with RH. Only the three highlighted above have shone thus far and are exciting prospects moving forward. Many others are good young prospects coming through e.g. Korzyck, Gunn and Fakaosilia but might take a few seasons to reach their potential.

A lot of unknown at the Reds in 2016;

Coming off contract post 2015 season:
• Browning
• Cooper
• F'Sautia
• Gill
• Hanson
• McDuling
• O'Donoghue
• Quirk
• Robinson
• Tapuai
• Thompson
• Tui

Leaving:
• Horwill
• Genia

That is a large majority of the salary cap gone.

2016 Top Squad roster as it stands (From memory):

• Fakaosilia
• S. Fainga'a
• A. Fainga'a
• Frisby
• Holmes
• Hunt
• Kerevi
• Kuridrani
• Neville
• O'Connor
• Pa'aiaua
• Ready
• Schatz
• Simmons
• Slipper
• Talakai
• Taulagi
• Turner

EPS:
• Fa'agase
• Tuttle
• Korzyck
• Gunn

Development Squad:
• Tongan Thor

B

Bobby Sands

Very interesting times ahead. ^

Some very good players coming off-contract, however some very good young players coming on contract. Who we keep, and who we lose both strategically and otherwise will determine how much new cattle we need to find. Either way the squad will be in good health.

Now we just need a coach, and finally the administration are on the same page (at least with the coach part). Thor will play next season, I'm not sure what his contract status will be - but the big man looks every bit as good as promised.

T

TOCC

Bobby have you been to many of Thor'e games? I watched his match via the YouTube stream on the weekend and whilst he can obviously run and pass, I still think he is learning the technicalities of scrummaging.. His side of the scrum was dominated a few times early on in the match..

Give him a crack in the NRC, but I see no reason to rush him into the Reds for 2016 with some good young props stepping up into the role already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

I think we need to consider that signing players who have never started a Super Rugby game is probably at the lower end of player salaries.

Perhaps locking away roster spots 16-32 on as little as possible is prudent, as then you know exactly what you have left to spend on a starting team.

Potentially this year Graham and Cordingly may have found themselves caught a little short, and want to shore up the back up roster spots early this time around to avoid overpaying for a starting player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bobby have you been to many of Thor'e games? I watched his match via the YouTube stream on the weekend and whilst he can obviously run and pass, I still think he is learning the technicalities of scrummaging.. His side of the scrum was dominated a few times early on in the match..

Give him a crack in the NRC, but I see no reason to rush him into the Reds for 2016 with some good young props stepping up into the role already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen him play a couple of times now and I've never seen him dominated in scrums. In fact I've seen the opposite.

He will definitely play the NRC and whilst I wouldn't be rushing him into Super Rugby by any means, I wouldn't be ruling it out for next year.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
I would not think so. He has played only 10-15 minutes per game so this would be very difficult to judge.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think we definitely need to keep Thomson, Cooper, Gilly and Hanson - they are the stand-out blokes from the not-signed list

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who do we think gets another contract to backup Simmons and Neville?

Kotze, McDuling or EOD? I reckon they will only re-sign one of them and look for a young bloke in the EPS.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm a fan of McDuling but you'd have to think they will think twice about signing him.

Kotze would be likely, together with Tom Murday (I hope).

I think you're right.

I agree McDuling is a good player but this is his 4th season at Ballymore and he's managed only 5 games.

Compare that to Beau Robinson who we all agree has been too frequently injured, he played 53 games in the 4 years prior to this season.

They rightly recruited McDuling as a succession option and stuck by him because they were making a long term investment, but the return just hasn't been there and there's no indication to expect he will play more than 5 games in the next 4 seasons.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
McDuling would probably be looking overseas at this stage anyway one would think. He must realize he won't have a long career due to injury but is still handy when he takes the field. Probably not a bad idea to make a few quid in Japan or similar while he can.

I forgot about Murday, hopefully they get him on the books.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Murday was in a moon boot with crutches on Fri night. I didn't even know he was injured. Anyone know anything more about it? ie how long he'll be unavailable for?

T

Train Without a Station

What young locks are coming through?

With Neville coming up, and Murday and Kotze if they stay around that probably fills our roster for locks for now, but all we need is Simmons or one of these guys to depart and we are left with a big hole.

A 6/lock in the mould of Fardy or Jones would be really handy.

I see Terrin Walls, Sam Fattal and Jack Payne were in the Reds Under 20s last year. I see Fattal was in the Country NRC squad as well as Payne. Payne's dimensions concern me. At 195cm he's more likely to be a 6/lock than out and out lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.