• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is a light at the very far end of this tunnel!

I feel so brow beat on this topic that I"ll wait to see it. Carmichael is still there. Did he have nowt to do with it?

BTW

Could someone explain the differences and relationship between the QRU and the Reds? Ive been digging into this issue in Africa and realised I dont really understand here at home.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
BTW

Could someone explain the differences and relationship between the QRU and the Reds? Ive been digging into this issue in Africa and realised I dont really understand here at home.
From the QRU website

Queensland Rugby is the governing body for the Code of Rugby Union in Queensland.

The union has 27 affiliated members and represents the interests of more than 250,000 participants at over 200 clubs and 450 schools which incorporate around 20,000 officials, administrators and volunteers across the state.

Secondly, Queensland Rugby is also responsible for the representative rugby pathways which culminate in the professional Super Rugby team, the St. George Queensland Reds.

Same board etc runs both

Reactions: dru

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
yeah I had mentioned that previously. His term has been constitutionally run. I believe a few others from the Board are due to step down too including Chris White I think?

I like Frawley coming in as Chairman. Seems a good operator. His relationship with the current CEO will be interesting.

Spoke to a friend of mine who is an extremely successful AFL administrator. He thinks the Reds could be very successful both financially and on the field with some minor changes. Piss off the whole Board to get rid of the cronyism. He also said to keep Carmichael - he is a very good administrator, whether it be rugby, AFL or Table Tennis.

It was an interesting conversation.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Spoke to a friend of mine who is an extremely successful AFL administrator. He thinks the Reds could be very successful both financially and on the field with some minor changes. Piss off the whole Board to get rid of the cronyism. He also said to keep Carmichael - he is a very good administrator, whether it be rugby, AFL or Table Tennis.

Very 'minor' changes that just requires the removal of all but one of the board members. Sounds easy, when do we start?

T

TOCC

Privatisation doesn't come without it's risk... Clive Palmer and the Gold Coast United for instance... There's a chance that the person wealthy enough to afford his own professional sporting team sees the club as an extension of his own ego and acts in a manner which isn't always in the best interest of the club.

Conversely I think private consortiums do have appeal and if the Reds were to privatise I would prefer this option. Firstly it shares the risk and liability, so the fortune of the team isn't reliant on one persons wealth(think Tinkler and the Jets/Knights), also shared controlled means less chance of totalitarian decisions from the owners.

But right now, I don't see any immediate need to privatise the Reds, and without knowing the inner workings of the QRU/Reds I think it might be quite difficult, expensive and timely to unwind the amateur and professional parts of the game from each other.

Edit: change thanks to Lindommer

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Timkler and the Newcastle Jets and Knights (he's since lost both of them), the Mariners are based in Gosford and have been community based for most of their existence.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Waratahs were "privatised" from NSW RU. Many will claim that it didn't make/hasn't made too much difference.

The greater improvements in NSW rugby (NSW RU and Tahs Inc) have occurred when swords have been fallen upon (or were they pushed?).

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

FVhyxm3.jpg

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why not have share holders, members can buy shares for a one off income injection to the organisation and if a rich person wants control then they have purchase shares off others.

With safeguards in place it could be quite a good system

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Jesus. A new Reds but with Carmichael. Honest. Who the heck is your mate?

Its time for a brush. Carmichael can simply take off and take the donkeys who held RG with him. God knows I might be missing something, but I honestly hold Carmichael at more responsibility than RG. Big time.

We Reds fans do not deserve this cack. Starting with Carmichael.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Jesus. A new Reds but with Carmichael. Honest. Who the heck is your mate?

Its time for a brush. Carmichael can simply take off and take the donkeys who held RG with him. God knows I might be missing something, but I honestly hold Carmichael at more responsibility than RG. Big time.

We Reds fans do not deserve this cack. Starting with Carmichael.
RG has a few long standing mates on the board who presumably were instrumental in making sure he was appointed and then retained. Carmichael is not one of them.

T

TOCC

Im not so quick to dismiss Carmichael, he has turned the Reds around financially since he came on board, he was appointed CEO in November 2009 which was the year the Reds posted a $3million operating loss and $7million in liabilities, If it weren't for the ARU providing them with a loan they would have been effectively insolvent for the 2010 season. Since 2010 the QRU have posted around $6million in collective profits and i believe the 2015 annual report will indicate they have paid off their existing debt.

Carmichael is a man with an AFL background and taking up the Reds CEO role was his first foray into rugby union, so it makes me wonder, if Carmichael was individually responsible for reappointing RG, under what allegiance did he do it? Carmichael had never worked with RG, he had never played alongside RG and he didn't go to school with RG, heck apart from the other board members at the QRU he didn't even have the same friends as RG. So it makes me wonder, who was the person pushing for RG because i don't for a second believe that it was Carmichael.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Im not so quick to dismiss Carmichael, he has turned the Reds around financially since he came on board, he was appointed CEO in November 2009 which was the year the Reds posted a $3million operating loss and $7million in liabilities, If it weren't for the ARU providing them with a loan they would have been effectively insolvent for the 2010 season. Since 2010 the QRU have posted around $6million in collective profits and i believe the 2015 annual report will indicate they have paid off their existing debt.

Carmichael is a man with an AFL background and taking up the Reds CEO role was his first foray into rugby union, so it makes me wonder, if Carmichael was individually responsible for reappointing RG, under what allegiance did he do it? Carmichael had never worked with RG, he had never played alongside RG and he didn't go to school with RG, heck apart from the other board members at the QRU he didn't even have the same friends as RG. So it makes me wonder, who was the person pushing for RG because i don't for a second believe that it was Carmichael.

OK. Wow. We are starting to see a line of thinking. Unfortunately anyone who thinks this bloke is not complicit is just kidding themselves. Sorry TOCC, "I do Aussie Rules" doesnt work.

Now OK. I've tried to be vocal about the Reds strengths. And these are multiple. Show me Carmichael's leadership through this and I will personnally spruik his wares.

But he is still involved in the RG utter debacle. Solving this scenario requires cutting from the top. Carmichael, the very best you can manage is "on your watch". Or tell me otherwise. Explain it. Tip: the BS reports around international search etc etc is not likely to be the right answer.

If our thinking here on Gr&G is germain, it suggests trickies time is done. Dear Reds, can we just do it? Honest stop mucking around and do it. I'm quite sincere. Now is very very late. Next week would be rubbish. In a month, well the longer it goes the poorer the response.

Move boys, in the musical chairs of Reds Rugby, the music has stopped.

T

TOCC

Yeah listen, I've had this conversation before.
I'm here to focus on the Reds of 2016

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah listen I've had this conversation before.. I'm here to focus on the Reds 201

Frustration is not meant to be to other deep Red fans. Must be tough when the great unwashed finally catch up. Sorry.

[Neck winding in]

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
This latest social media stunt to has proven to me that Reds are in strife and fans have spoken.
A 'sweet as kiwi membership
E35E31F2-26C1-41F2-B741-2B0F28E98618_zps1mc0qhmr.png

The past years at home games show the amount Kiwis that call Brisbane home. If you have ever been to a kiwi v reds game they don't need a special membership to come and watch. They will turn up spite what part of NZL that are from and what NZL team is on the field.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
This latest social media stunt to has proven to me that Reds are in strife and fans have spoken.
A 'sweet as kiwi membership

The past years at home games show the amount Kiwis that call Brisbane home. If you have ever been to a kiwi v reds game they don't need a special membership to come and watch. They will turn up spite what part of NZL that are from and what NZL team is on the field.

I'm pretty sure they had a similar bundle last year around the NZ teams - it's just a way to get people who don't want to commit to a whole season to definitely come along. I think it's a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom