• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sure, blame the Reds woes on the 21yr old 5/8 who is only starting his second super rugby match. Reds were shit last year and they are worst this year, they are regressing in skills and structure, yeah players are playing poorly but its ridiculous to blame the Reds woes on any one individual player, there is one person responsible and that is RG.

That was one of the worst games of rugby i have seen the Reds play since the 92-3 loss to the Bulls..
At least after the Bulls game the fans were confidant that there would be changes. Now we just expect the same for the rest of the season.

I believe top 6 is the KPI that will keep RG in work (conveniently too late to make a change)

I think we already cannot make the top 6 this season given how the finals are set up.

If this is the case and RG can't make his KPI then why wait?

It is too late to recruit after the season for a coach, we should be starting to look as soon as it is obvious we will need one.

I think if you can secure a long term job (5 years) with a decent payout if fired early then the Reds is a good job...over the long term.

With the introduction of the NRC there is a tier below Super Rugby, we have two teams in this comp and one of them has not been defeated with a very young team in over a season. If this is part of the nursery then this has to be a bonus. We have an awesome scrum and scrum coach, a pretty good line out. We have a massive amount of juniors who have succeeded coming through QLD schools.

Remember we will be in a situation where we have 27 year olds with 80-100 games under their belt in a couple of years.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
What to do if RG goes is interesting. Next year it has to be an outsider preferably someone established.

Stiles has NRC runs on the board, but other than that a less than impressive record. He is also a Graham guy. If he's not lining up 100% behind RG that raises concerns in itself.

My main concern with Stiles is if he is a coach who can only have success when he has a disproportinate talent advantage. There a plenty of coaches like this and is a huge problem in the pathway (Gilmore being a classic example). Giving Stiles some time at HC might provides a small look at if this applies to him or not.

This is all theoretical until someone at Ballymore grows a pair and either resigns or sacks RG. Reading Tucker's column this morning it felt like a re-print from last year, so there may not be much immediate hope.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I doubt he'd be willing to come to Australia, but I think Stuart Lancaster is worth a call. He copped the flak for the RWC, but a lot of his good work with England was very quickly disregarded. He took a talented group that was in a rabble, got them into a relatively cohesive unit and was unlucky not to have won two Six Nations.

He needs a second chance and would (likely) relish a SH experience to add an ability to throw the ball around to his coaching repertoire.

Reds need a coach willing to develop young guys, instil some discipline and generally start afresh.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I doubt he'd be willing to come to Australia, but I think Stuart Lancaster is worth a call. He copped the flak for the RWC, but a lot of his good work with England was very quickly disregarded. He took a talented group that was in a rabble, got them into a relatively cohesive unit and was unlucky not to have won two Six Nations.

He needs a second chance and would (likely) relish a SH experience to add an ability to throw the ball around to his coaching repertoire.

Reds need a coach willing to develop young guys, instil some discipline and generally start afresh.

Seriously?

With respect, why don't we try having a coach with previous successful experience coaching at the highest provincial/club level.

Lancaster has a record that rivals RG for under achievement and failure - and I'm not just talking about England

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone got some first home crowd stats for the last few years? It was announced as 17,500 but I hear from more reliable sources it was 14,000.

That's got to be back to 2008 days right?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
anyone got some first home crowd stats for the last few years? It was announced as 17,500 but I hear from more reliable sources it was 14,000.

Ahhhhh 2008, where you'd you have an entire bay to yourself. lot of empty chairs around me. of the ones taken, just the same grim members turning up as in previous years. Seriously the Reds have to be in same self obsessed alternate reality the Federal LNP is now. doesn't matter if we turn up or not, THEY JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT US.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wow... good irrelevant segue into politics.

However it is bizarre, Goro. Is clearly a marketing recruit... but one would think winning games is a good marketing ploy too.

Horwill,Genia et al must be smiling to themselves that they decided to get off this train

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Never thought I'd say this, but I'd like to see Stiles develop more overseas. He's done well with good cattle at Brisbane, the Reds have one of the better set pieces in what is otherwise a sinking ship. Wouldn't want to throw him at the current Reds, that requires an experienced coach.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Quick look at wiki - they got 19,000 to Reds v Highlanders in 2008. 16 thousand odd v Cheetahs in 2009, 26 thousand for Reds v Force in 2011.

Back to the bad old days alright

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
None of this is surprising given how unwilling they were to make changes last year. Graham is an incompetent coach but the first blood spilled needs to be the enablers who have kept him there and got him there in the first place. Hope of improvement will only become evident when the whole bloody lot of them are purged. No scapegoats because they have all fucked this up. What delusion gives these self entitled jokers the claim to be worthy of the positions they have held?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Hypothetically speaking, if RG were to be sacked and Stiles appointed HC, what are the thoughts on Phil Mooney being brought back to the Reds as the attacking skills coach? He's had experience as a HC (albeit a losing one but could help Stiles with the transition) and was at the Highlanders at one stage as an assistant.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Nah, I think it will take someone with experience to turn this thing around. Establish a solid culture, give confidence to blokes like Frisby, McIntyre, and Greene. For the sake of Stiles's career and mental health, he should either go elsewhere, or work under another experienced HC before he gets a shot at the title. From the looks of things, he has potential, I'd hate to see it quandered.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Crowds are certainly down but I can't recall as many vacant corporate boxes as there were there last night. Basically, all on the Eastern Stand were empty apart from maybe 5.

I remember even back in the dark days, the huge emphasis on selling boxes due to their financial value meant every box was sold.

If not preventable, the financial downturn was minimisable.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Mooney was a very good attack coach, with a solid head on the head coach he would be a good addition to the Reds right now.

They never had a problem scoring tries while he was coach, it was a bit like the 2010 Wallabies.

Reactions: BDA

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Who was Stiles' attack coach for the NRC?

I'm not sure that saying that Stiles is only good with quality cattle - how many of the Reds forwards playing right now would be considered superior/right up there to others? Holmes and Simmons (debatable I know, but he is a current Wallaby so have to rate him on that), Saia? Gill and Slipper are injured, I don't think Browning, Schatz, Neville, Daley and Tui are considered vastly better than other players around, and we seem to be able to bring on replacement props and hookers who are fairly inexperienced and do reasonably well, so it seems to me that Stiles is doing pretty well with whatever cattle he gets handed.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nah, I think it will take someone with experience to turn this thing around. Establish a solid culture, give confidence to blokes like Frisby, McIntyre, and Greene. For the sake of Stiles's career and mental health, he should either go elsewhere, or work under another experienced HC before he gets a shot at the title. From the looks of things, he has potential, I'd hate to see it quandered.

Sure someone with experience would be ideal. But if RG is to go before end of season, we will need a caretaker. I could be wrong but is that man MOC? Management missed the chance to treat the role of HC with respect at the end of season 2015 (possibly 2014).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know people will struggle to see any positives in last nights performance, but I thought Ready was really good (aside from that one, very dumb penalty - hope he eliminates them.) It is also noticeable to me that Daley appears to be scrummaging well. That was always his Achilles heel, but he is doing a good job at present. I though Hunt was good at 12 too. We never really fired a meaningful shot in the backline, so maybe I am just looking for a ray of hope there, but whenever we did look at all threatening he seemed to be involved.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
"It is also noticeable to me that Daley appears to be scrummaging well."

He has hardly been tested so far. I firmly believe he will get his head shoved up his backside again this season.

Surely the worst Wallaby in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.