• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Hey does anyone know what hours of operation the Reds shop has at Ballymore, I am driving to CQ tomorrow and a mate has asked if I can swing past and pick him up some supporter stuff.

There's this shop at Suncorp - http://www.suncorpstadium.com.au/The_Stadium/Store.aspx

It's open during the week 9am - 2pm and you can park near Wally's statue and walk on over.

Hope that helps, otherwise Rebel and Amart stock Reds gear.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
From my understanding re Liam

Liam and RG were at serious odds.
Reds retained RG and Liam was filthy.
He stayed in 2016 for only one reason (that being loyalty to some of the senior playing group)
He started to look around at other options - he did not want to play for another Australian franchise.
The money on offer from overseas was good, very good.
The door had closed on him being chosen for the Wallabies (with Pocock and Hooper ahead of him).

I doubt whether we will see Liam playing Super rugby in Australia again because firstly the door is shut at Wallaby level for several years and secondly because he will earn substantially more overseas (than what a Super franchise is prepared to pay him without assistance from the ARU)

I hate seeing blokes like this man leave the State but fully support him in the difficult decision he has had to make.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Or you know, like most young blokes, the dude wants to live and travel the world. He just happens to be in a position where he can get paid handsomely for it and not worry about visa issues.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sometimes when a player leaves to go OS it perplexes us all- eg. Alo-Emile, Pyle, Ben Mowen.

But then there are times when it makes complete sense. Liam Gill is one of those. The only thing that kept him in the country for this long was loyalty to the Reds, and really that can only last for so long.

It was a no-brainer, for so many reasons.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Sometimes when a player leaves to go OS it perplexes us all- eg. Alo-Emile, Pyle, Ben Mowen.

Can't say I was surprised by Mowen. When one is appointed captain of the national team but not deemed valuable enough for an ARU top-up contract, it's time to take one's wares overseas while they're still in good condition.

Dead right about Gill. Having said that though, he may well wish he'd kept his powder dry a little longer, given Pocock's impending sabbatical and Hooper's current form.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From my understanding re Liam

Liam and RG were at serious odds.
Reds retained RG and Liam was filthy.
He stayed in 2016 for only one reason (that being loyalty to some of the senior playing group)
He started to look around at other options - he did not want to play for another Australian franchise.
The money on offer from overseas was good, very good.
The door had closed on him being chosen for the Wallabies (with Pocock and Hooper ahead of him).

I doubt whether we will see Liam playing Super rugby in Australia again because firstly the door is shut at Wallaby level for several years and secondly because he will earn substantially more overseas (than what a Super franchise is prepared to pay him without assistance from the ARU)

I hate seeing blokes like this man leave the State but fully support him in the difficult decision he has had to make.

What you are failing to take into account is the love the ARU have for players who play overseas. Every chance Liam can do a Rocky and come back to QLD and be made Wallaby captain.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

But then there are times when it makes complete sense. Liam Gill is one of those. The only thing that kept him in the country for this long was loyalty to the Reds, and really that can only last for so long.

It was a no-brainer, for so many reasons.

Yes and no. Whilst it was probably inevitable, if you believe the rumours, he wasn't ready to go O/S just yet.

It (allegedly) wasn't about the money and he didn't want to leave (yet). He was given assurances that RG wouldn't be the coach in 2016 so Liam signed for one year on that basis. 2016 rolls around and RG is still there so Liam looks elsewhere. As luck would have it, after he signs with Toulon, RG is sacked and Pocock negotiates a sabbatical.

What has most Reds fans upset is that it wasn't that the Reds didn't offer him enough $$$ to stay, it's that they told him one thing and did the other. It sounds as though there wasn't a sum of money they could've offered that would've tempted him to stay under RG. Once the decision was made that he couldn't stay there under those circumstances was made, why the fuck wouldn't he try and get the most $$$ he could.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What you are failing to take into account is the love the ARU have for players who play overseas. Every chance Liam can do a Rocky and come back to QLD and be made Wallaby captain.

He'll be probably 30 - 34 by then, if that happens. There are young guns always popping up every couple of years. Hooper is about 24 and will be around for several years, as will Pocock.

He has only 15 test caps so doesn't have the required test caps (60) to be recalled for test duties. Even if the rules are changed down to 30, he is a long way off.

It is a shame !

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
He'll be probably 30 - 34 by then, if that happens. There are young guns always popping up every couple of years. Hooper is about 24 and will be around for several years, as will Pocock.

He has only 15 test caps so doesn't have the required test caps (60) to be recalled for test duties. Even if the rules are changed down to 30, he is a long way off.

It is a shame !

Mate. He's signed for two years, not ten.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mate. He's signed for two years, not ten.

Yep I understand that. But he Will be O/S for a lot longer than 2.The biggest carrot for Liam was playing for his country.

That has even evaporated and will remain so for most of the balance of his playing career (simply because of Pocock and Hooper and even McMahon )

I hope, for selfish reasons, he comes back to the Reds but IMO it is highly unlikely

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
You're talking through your rear. He could well be back in time for the next RWC. If you have inside info, I'd love to hear it, but you need to wind back the catastrophic predictions. There's nothing to indicate that a) he intends to stay there any longer than his contract; and b), that if he comes back he'd go anywhere other than Ballymore.

T

TOCC

He has already said he intends to come back to try and make the wallabies for the next RWX.

However, there's no point arguing about hypotheticals, 2 years is a bloody long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
He also said before the second Tahs game that he might never play them again. Only he knows so conjecture regarding players movements is all talking out of the rear like Sauron said, it makes for pretty boring reading.

What we know for sure is that he won't be here for much longer. Pocock is contracted, McMahon signed until end of 2017 with the Rebels I believe, Hodgson too old, Hooper clearly not an option as he is the 12th best 7 in super rugby at BEST o_O.

Within the Reds: Browning not a 7 at this level, Gunn physically underveloped IMO (though looks a future prospect), Setu perhaps not quite at the required level of play currently to be the starting 7.

What is Jarrad Butler's contract situation?

Time for a Reds 2017 thread?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You're talking through your rear. He could well be back in time for the next RWC. If you have inside info, I'd love to hear it, but you need to wind back the catastrophic predictions. There's nothing to indicate that a) he intends to stay there any longer than his contract; and b), that if he comes back he'd go anywhere other than Ballymore.

Mate - you are the one that has no idea. If I had insider info this is the last place I would identify sources etc etc etc.

Live in Fairyland, no problem to me

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep I understand that. But he Will be O/S for a lot longer than 2.The biggest carrot for Liam was playing for his country.

That has even evaporated and will remain so for most of the balance of his playing career (simply because of Pocock and Hooper and even McMahon )

I hope, for selfish reasons, he comes back to the Reds but IMO it is highly unlikely
He has already played for Australia, does more games make a real difference

The only bigger carrot would be the captaincy.

50 tests and $350000 per year with Super Rugby travel
or 15 tests and $700000 per year with no long distance travel
(total guesses on payments)

I don't think more Wallabies games would make that big of a difference unless it is something special like a Lions series or World Cup. I think he would be letting himself down by not taking the money.

God forbid he could have some underlying condition that forces immediate retirement and would regret not having the extra money while he can get it.

I love the romantic idea of playing fro your country as being the goal in life, but these guys are pros and the rules are different in real life that they are behind a keyboard on a computer forum.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Regardless of if or when he comes back, hes an unbelievable talent who will be irreplaceable, but im glad that he will at least get the recognition he deserves overseas. I think hes gonna pull a rocky and dominate club rugby up north and im gonna be supporting any team he plays for.

Status
Not open for further replies.