• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves

Let me qualify then, he is the best ball playing 13 we have had in memory.

He also always holds the ball in two hands, so even if he doesn't ballplay - his ability to do so is one of the reasons he creates such indecision.

Samu as a comparison almost never goes into contact with two hands on the ball. He brute power is awe-inspiring - but it creates less opportunities for those around him, and is in theory easier to defend as less options are available to the backline.

Most of his ball-playing happens a long way from the line, but it is ability to get through the defence and then offload which creates most opportunities (usually for Sautia).

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
All quality 13s are ball players. Look at all backs over the years. When Australia were world champs the only common thing in those teams was s ball playing 13. He is s great player who’s last option is to pass. Common with the current crop of aussie 13s

B

Bobby Sands

Clearly no one here watches nrc.

Yes I know it’s a lower standard.

Why don’t you all save these comments for posterity & bring them back up when I’m wrong?

Seems fair.

B

Bobby Sands

All quality 13s are ball players. Look at all backs over the years. When Australia were world champs the only common thing in those teams was s ball playing 13. He is s great player who’s last option is to pass. Common with the current crop of aussie 13s

Who?
Mortlock?
Kurindrani?
Ashley Cooper?

Herbert was ok.
Probably Jason Little.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

And a good 9. And good defence. And a bloody good 12. In fact, a few things in common!

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Agree and quality defence starts with 13. The most crucial in D. All good attack can be ignited by it as well. Hence the ball playing attribute being crucial.

All blacks and even now NH teams put a great emphasis on this for there 13s

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wouldn’t have called him a ball player as such, but maybe that is just semantics. Certainly he has good catch pass skills and seems to have time and positions his outside player. Importantly he looks to position his outside player too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He he. I was wondering when someone would drop that grenade in here. Saw it a few hours ago.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
We need a great 12 - and noone who is australian (and available) comes close.

9. Mcdermott 10. Stewart 11. Daugunu 12. JOC (James O'Connor) 13. Petaia 14. Speight 15. Hegarty

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't want JO'C. We've tried him before and it didn't work. If he can reclaim some of his talent and keep his head down then he'll be a great get. That's an impossibly large if though and I don't expect it to happen. But he's one of the most naturally gifted athletes the Wallabies have seen in the past decade, so we'll see.