1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. sunnyboys Ted Thorn (20)

To be fair, I wasn’t impressed with the progress over the past 2 and half seasons.

But the past 3 months have shown some true green shoots.

More than happy for him to get the gig next year. I like Thorn.

But I was wondering when we might see some improvement coming into his third season in charge. Was nothing against him.

Additionally I have loved that Jim’s influence is really starting to show through in our attack.

The defence once the video analyst stepped up has been a revelation.

I feel the team now has the game - they just need to get the mental side right.

The loss last night looked like a very pre-covid performance. I thought we had left those behind when SRA started. Hopefully throughout next season we see less and less of those types of performances.
  2. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

and I'm saying we saw it this year. In spades
    Penguin, wamberal and Ignoto like this.
  3. sunnyboys Ted Thorn (20)

I agree it looked like there was improvement. I saw that too. However I’m always cautious when teams look like they’ve improved yet the results don’t seem to follow.

Maybe it just a year early for this team - kind of like the 2010 team.
  4. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

Be mad not to hang on to him. Im sure its as mucha learning experiencefor him as it is his young team. He can only get better.

Besides, are there people waiting in the wings to takeover? Strayan Rugby isnt exactly popular at the moment.
    Penguin likes this.
  5. sunnyboys Ted Thorn (20)

Quite true.

I have a kiwi mate who winds me up by saying Thorn is just building up his CV so he can get a “real” coaching job in NZ.
  6. liquor box Ken Catchpole (46)

There is nothing that stops improvement faster than being satisfied with what you have achieved.

It has turned out to be a good season for the Reds, but there are a lot of issues that need to be sorted out, especially if we end up with a competitions that has NZ teams in it.

We cannot be complacent and have to learn from every game we played.

The future looks bright and I think this loss will actually help in the long run as next time there will not be the nerves for our young team.
  7. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

I mean this could be true. It was true for Jake White, Simon Cron and maybe Daryl Gibson.
  8. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Eh, there's a time and place to deconstruct the season they had, the coaching team and players have a full off-season to work out how to improve from here. But we should also take a moment to enjoy what they have done well on.

I've had enough of the doom and gloom that not only have we had to endure supporting the Reds, but also what 2020 has brought. Celebrate the minor wins in life.
  9. JeepsTragic Chris McKivat (8)

10. PhilClinton Jim Clark (26)

Yeh it was a really great season from the Reds. I don't feel too disheartened as the Brumbies were the most settled team coming into Super Rugby AU, they had a solid team of veterans balanced out with some good young talent and deserved to win the final and be considered the best team in OZ.

The Reds for mine, assuming they keep 90% of the team together, should go into 2021 as the favored Aussie team, I imagine they'll get a decent contingent in the 23 for the Wallabies this year which will aid development as well.

I do have worries about Petaia and his longevity. He seems to constantly get injuries all over his body which is more concerning that just a dodgy knee or shoulder, those things can become problems over time but with proper rehab and maintenance usually hold up for a few years at least. Its a lot harder to maintain injuries from head to toe.
  11. Tex Peter Johnson (47)

What's the verdict on Petaia's new injury? The kid is worryingly fragile
  12. Zero_Cool Trevor Allan (34)

Nah, I think the Reds have been very good this year, they had the toughest start of the Super Rugby season and were just coming into there own. They are on average 3-4 points away from the Brumbies in Canberra from 3 games. Both would have been in contention for Super Rugby Finals. Are either better than the Crusaders -- no but no one in New Zealand is too; but they are both on par with any of the Kiwi teams not from Christchurch.
    Jimmy_Crouch likes this.
  13. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

It’s been an interesting 2020 on and off the field but at least we had some rugby to watch in Australia and the Reds got to trial their young team in a domestic comp rather than throwing them on the big stage. Losing Rodda, Hockings, Lucas and Gordon was disappointing and hopefully a huge wake up call for Reds top knobs. A few critical injuries really put the pressure on and we sometimes saw a starting team that looked like a Colts 1st team. We got one more win than last year but imagine what we could have done without the departures and injuries. The stats are better so that’s what counts, isn’t it? Next year will be the making or the breaking of us over the next 3 year cycle.
    My players for 2020:
    MVP - Tupou
    Best forward - Wright
    Best back - Petaia
    Best Rookie - Wilson

One more thing, great to have the Force back in the mix.
    liquor box, The Nomad and dru like this.
  14. Purce Alfred Walker (16)

As in Gordon the young 10? What has happened to him? There were big expectations on that fella
  15. The Nomad Vay Wilson (31)

Spent a fair chunk of the last 12 months injured.

Has now signed with the Rebels , guess chasing a starting spot , would have maybe felt road blocked behind JOC at the Reds.
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  16. liquor box Ken Catchpole (46)

For me I would have Tupou as MVP
    Best Player - Tupou
    Best forward - 3 - LSL (Tupou not counted due to previous award), 2 Wilson, 1 Wright

Best Back - 3 - McDermott, 2 Daugunu, 1 Stewart
    MVP - 3 Wright (should captain Wallabies A team)

In trying to select the best players I have realised that I could justify a lot of combinations which demonstrates how good as a team we played.

I think we are building a champion team, as opposed to a team of champions (with a few champions included).
    Roberts Rugby and The Nomad like this.
  17. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

Yep.
    SouthernX likes this.
  18. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

All stellar players.
    liquor box likes this.
  19. Gervais_rugbylives Bob McCowan (2)

I'd like to take it back to what I know as a Brisbane person. I know how it has worked in the last few years. Carter, Hunter and Isaac were a brilliant young back line. Carter felt he wasn't valued here, Isaac took up an opportunity to train with the brumbies to better himself even though his mother was suffering breast cancer at the same time and Hunter was lucky to be selected after a long time trying his heart out. I know the shit these boys have gone through. We need to respect the shit these kids under the age of 21 go through. I am bias but I am also not stupid. Hamish Stewart is great in defence but in the NRL people would feel that they actually had a chance. The case of Hunter is amazing, because we never thought that was possible.
  20. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

can you extrapolate on that? How did he feel he was undervalued???
    Adam84, The Nomad and Jimmy_Crouch like this.