1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

It was a private conversation from a very good source. So I am not repeating it here. Just saying, I heard differently.
  2. Sully John Eales (66)

Me too.
  3. Bobby Sands Colin Windon (37)

4. Adam84 Ron Walden (29)

There was a wallaby coaching staff overhaul between the drinking incident in Dublin, and when Gill eventually left, Cheika replaces Ewen and has demonstrated he is willing to accept past misdemeanours if he rates the player enough.

Maybe Gill felt he was overlooked because of that reason, but even as a massive Liam Gill fan I feel the more likely story is that he was stuck behind 2 x once in a generation type players, and there isn’t room for 3 open sides in a squad.
    Silverado and Penguin like this.
  5. Penguin Nev Cottrell (35)

David Croft suffered the same fate, but thankfully stuck it out.
  6. Bobby Sands Colin Windon (37)

Liam Gill took his matter to the players association. I’m not sure if this was reported or not at the time, but he did, and it put him offside with some people in the Wallabies setup.
  7. SouthernX Arch Winning (36)

Wow. so he had a sook about not being selected for wallabies he lodged a complaint against the selecters?
  8. Bobby Sands Colin Windon (37)

I dont think the selectors, but he did challenge his game suspension with RUPA. I cant remember if it was after the fact. I think he might have been the only person suspended who took the matter to RUPA.
  9. SouthernX Arch Winning (36)

Oh sorry got my wires mixed.

Thought we were talking about why he left (wallabies selection) but I do recall him being suspended for other matters
  10. Bobby Sands Colin Windon (37)

He was one of about 9 blokes who missed a test for drinking beers in Dublin I think.
  11. Brumby Runner Phil Kearns (64)

I've never seen a player shed as much blood over a career as Croft did. Was a standout star in the ARC 2007 (?).
    Penguin and liquor box like this.
  12. The torpedo Chilla Wilson (44)

Wasn't Gill's departure because the reds told him Graham was gone after 2015, only to suddenly turn around and rehire him for '16?
    Sully, Penguin and Getwithme like this.
  13. Bobby Sands Colin Windon (37)

Liam Gill is a beer drinking, fishing bloke who happens to be very good at playing rugby.

He got stuck behind a few pretty good players & im sure his departure was for a myriad of reasons but ultimately he left because why wouldn’t he?
  14. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

We’ve just signed McReight and McDermott for 4 more years.
  15. dillyboy Bob Loudon (25)

Last few announcements have all been for 4 years - I like us locking in key young players!
  16. Adam84 Ron Walden (29)

Always risky locking in young players to long term contracts, but you can’t argue with the players they have signed up for long term. Petaia, Tupou, McReight and McDermott all on 4 year contracts. That’s solid little core of starting players for 2021-2023.
    Dusky W, Getwithme and RugbyReg like this.
  17. Dctarget Peter Fenwicke (45)

How exciting is McReight for four years. Eyes on the prize, France 2023. Good on him & the Reds for committing to each other.
    Getwithme and Hound like this.
  18. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Have we had an Alec Evans Medalist play test rugby yet?
  19. Adam84 Ron Walden (29)

Interesting point.. Alec Evans winners n recent years: Michael Gunn, Tai Ford, Joe Fuimaino, Matt Brandon, Matt Blain, Isaac Fines-Leliwasa, Brett Gillespie

Not exactly a strong indicator of a players going on for higher honours.
    Getwithme and RugbyReg like this.
  20. Eyes and Ears Nev Cottrell (35)

However these awards do and should be won more often than not by a club player who plays the whole competition and excels at this level but is not necessarily destined for higher honours.