• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Strong contributions from the wider squad are essential. How many times really do you see your best XV available? Plus, contributions from the bench are critical.

Regardless of who the ‘best’ XV actually is, the contributions of the likes of Stewart, CFS, Campbell, Malolau, Fotuaika, Hockings, Blythe, McReight, Wilson et al will be vital.

I am still a bit lost on why the Reds would give Ruan Smith the okay to look elsewhere unless they have a key signing that hasn’t been revealed. I don’t see another THP domestically available that would be a clearly better option.

Edit: it was nice to list out those players and hold a reasonable degree of confidence that the players are up to performing at super rugby level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I agree about Ruan Smith, unless he really wanted to leave in search of game time, it seems like a strange decision.

QRU Long Lunch is this Friday, so will be interested to see if there are any announcements which come out of that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t agree with it - but I can kind of see the logic. Or at least I like Stewart enough that I would like to see him nail down a starting role.

Unfortunately I think that is unlikely unless there is an option injury or some change to the configuration- such as JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 instead of in the centres.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well, i didn't think it an overly out there suggestion, especially since JOC (James O'Connor) will be coming into Rd 1 with a 3 week pre-season behind him to meet and develop combinations with those players around him. But, we will wait and see..maybe Petaia and JOC (James O'Connor) will get on the field together this RWC

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Why would you not keep Stewart at 15 as that's where he played his best rugby this year. Gives him more time to be involved as much/as little as required in directing the game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Why would you not keep Stewart at 15 as that's where he played his best rugby this year. Gives him more time to be involved as much/as little as required in directing the game.

Based on where they’re playing in the NRC, the writing is on the wall that they prefer Hegarty at 15 and Stewart at 12.
Also, I think Stewart has shown more at 12 this NRC then did at fullback.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Based on where they’re playing in the NRC, the writing is on the wall that they prefer Hegarty at 15 and Stewart at 12.

Understood, but at the same time, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) plays 6 for the Wallabies but I doubt he'll be playing with that number at the Reds. Additionally, the quality of the NRC is a step down from Super Rugby so its hard to say if the lower quality of shift in position is causing the uptick in performance.

I would imagine that looking at the NRC starting spots that, Hegarty will cover/play 10/15, Stewart 15/12 and Lucas 15/10. As good as Lucas has/is, he still didn't play a full campaign of Super Rugby and needs time to develop. No point overburdening the kid!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I'm liking Stewart at 12. He takes it hard to the line, has a good running game. He looked great popping off Wilson in the NRC. I think this is his best position.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree, as others have said it takes full advantage of his physicality and playmaking and running skills without him being solely responsible for playmaking.

I can't see him playing instead of JOC (James O'Connor) though, although if Lucas is 10 (I'd have Hegarty personally, but he may be 15) then Stewart at 12 just seems to fit better than JOC (James O'Connor) from a combination perspective. IMHO.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Absolutely 100%. More gas, better boot, strong defence, doesn't crab sideways.

Mate I'm not a staunch JOC (James O'Connor) supporter but if you honestly believe you could start Hamish Stewart at the RWC today against Wales/England/NZ/SA and him do a better job that JOC (James O'Connor), I fear your red coloured glasses are glued on harder than mine.

I like Stewart, but I'm keen to see what JOC (James O'Connor) will offer back playing Super Rugby, cause I think he's doing a pretty decent job in Japan at the moment, whilst Stewart makes himself look good playing against part-timers.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
One thing I like about Stewart is that he signed on for 3 more years. If I recall correctly, he did this after JOC (James O'Connor) was signed.

He has been moved around a bit and I sometimes felt he should have got more opportunities than he has. I wouldn’t have been surprised if he either looked for an opportunity at another Australian team or decided to cash his chips here and take an OS contract for the brass.

Signing on for a couple of years tells me he backs himself to fight for a starting role.

I don’t think he is a better option than JOC (James O'Connor) right now, but plenty of things can and do change and, if his attitude is right, I don’t see any reason he can’t put himself in the frame in the not to distant future.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mate I'm not a staunch JOC (James O'Connor) supporter but if you honestly believe you could start Hamish Stewart at the RWC today against Wales/England/NZ/SA and him do a better job that JOC (James O'Connor), I fear your red coloured glasses are glued on harder than mine.

I like Stewart, but I'm keen to see what JOC (James O'Connor) will offer back playing Super Rugby, cause I think he's doing a pretty decent job in Japan at the moment, whilst Stewart makes himself look good playing against part-timers.

I don’t think this analogy is quite reflective of the scenario though. Wallabies backline has completely different strengths/weaknesses and combinations to consider(however Cheika’s selections may suggest otherwise).

JOC (James O'Connor) will come into pre-season after Christmas and have 3 weeks with his new teammates to develop combinations, Stewart has trained and played alongside these same guys for the past couple of years.

Teams will need to hit the ground running next year with the shortened pre-season and lack of trial games, Wallaby or not, its a massive task to expect JOC (James O'Connor) to come in and develop combos with the player in only a matter of weeks for such a key position. This is where Stewart will have an advantage over JOC (James O'Connor) i think.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Though JOC (James O'Connor) ran on with 12 more oft than not for Sale Sharks, he did also play in a number of other positions, 10, 15, bench.. and I believe wing mainly at Toulon, so between him Hegarty, Stewart and Lucas I guess there are a number of permutations for how you can fit those players into a team depending how you want to play or even use the bench for impact.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
JOC (James O'Connor) will come into pre-season after Christmas and have 3 weeks with his new teammates to develop combinations....
Fair point. May well open the door for Hamish to at least start the initial games.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agree building combinations is important, but let’s not forgot the focal point of the entire team attack from last year , Samu Kerevi is now gone. So really all the players in the backline are coming into a new scenario and game plan, it levels the playing field a bit re combinations for the new guys coming into the side.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He has been moved around a bit and I sometimes felt he should have got more opportunities than he has.

Really?

For me he has had plenty of time at 10, which (To'omua-esque) he isn't, and 15 which I also think he isn't. 12 may suit. For now though, he is proving to be a fabulous rugby player but a square trying to find a hole in the back line. He needs to work on avoiding the Hodge syndrome - and he is not as big or physical as Hodge.

Sometimes I wonder if he could have made a Hooper style 7 but it would have been a big ask.

Stewart is a conundrum, a good one to have, it will be interesting to see how Thorn handles it. JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 though. Stewart to the bench as a key "finisher".

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really?

For me he has had plenty of time at 10, which (To'omua-esque) he isn't, and 15 which I also think he isn't. 12 may suit. For now though, he is proving to be a fabulous rugby player but a square trying to find a hole in the back line. He needs to work on avoiding the Hodge syndrome - and he is not as big or physical as Hodge.

Sometimes I wonder if he could have made a Hooper style 7 but it would have been a big ask.

Stewart is a conundrum, a good one to have, it will be interesting to see how Thorn handles it. JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 though. Stewart to the bench as a key "finisher".

you know that's where he played at school right? At least before his final years.