• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Think Nasser needs time playing Prem grade regardless of whether he plays prop or hooker.

The idea of playing a position like hooker for the first time in Super Rugby having never played it in senior footy seems a bit nuts , even in the crazy times we find ourselves in .

Packing scrums at training is not quite the same as getting worked over in actual games, same with throwing lineouts .

It would lack the intensity of a must win scrum in a tight game, but surely packing scrums at training against a good scrum has to improve your skills.

Thorn does not seem like to type of coach who would let his forwards pack half strength scrums.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
But at the end of the day, you need 3 full time professional Hookers in a squad.

With Nasser just starting to learn the trade, that only just gets us to 3 at a stretch. Saia Fainga'a has said he wants to come back to Reds or Brumbies. I'd take him (at the right price)- even at 33 (which is not that old). He would be better off the bench then Nasser or Mafi atm, plus they could all learn a thing or 2 off him

this post has made my day:)

Maybe the Reds could do with a player/hooker coach

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It would lack the intensity of a must win scrum in a tight game, but surely packing scrums at training against a good scrum has to improve your skills.

Thorn does not seem like to type of coach who would let his forwards pack half strength scrums.

Yeah I tend to think scrums are one area where you can actually really improve through training, its the other areas of the game which may suffer. The only time a prop may suffer through building scrummaging experience at training is lack of variety or competition in the teammates they're scrummaging against.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

Yes, but you are practicing under controlled conditions.

You haven’t just busted your gut to make a clean out/ tackle / support play .

On top of that you don’t have another team opposing you that genuinely want to make you eat dirt . That’s before you bring in the mental aspect of a must win scrum when it really matters . Some stuff you can’t replicate on the training paddock .

Do the Reds have a full scrum to oppose at the moment?

They are in a bubble, in different times would at least get a chance to pack against something that wasn’t just more of their own if needed.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
No, a bit earlier than that. I started playing late 70s and was the thrower because I was Hooker. I do remember seeing wingers throw in in the early 70s

You are probably right but I know that school games I played in the early 80s still had the winger throwing in.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah I tend to think scrums are one area where you can actually really improve through training, its the other areas of the game which may suffer. The only time a prop may suffer through building scrummaging experience at training is lack of variety or competition in the teammates they're scrummaging against.
It’s the variety of how you might get worked over that you have to experience.

Have to qualify that my comments are regarding young and up coming front row candidates, not seasoned veterans.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yes, but you are practicing under controlled conditions.

You haven’t just busted your gut to make a clean out/ tackle / support play .

On top of that you don’t have another team opposing you that genuinely want to make you eat dirt . That’s before you bring in the mental aspect of a must win scrum when it really matters . Some stuff you can’t replicate on the training paddock .

Do the Reds have a full scrum to oppose at the moment?

They are in a bubble, in different times would at least get a chance to pack against something that wasn’t just more of their own if needed.

Support the point you're making, but just on what I have highlighted.

I'd be surprised if Thorn hasn't had the guys doing everything under some sort of heavy fatigue, especially considering his background is in strength and conditioning.

It's not rocket science but when I was still playing the coach would make all the forwards essentially run suicides, burpees, you name it for 15mins before starting any type of skills based drill, lineout work, scrums etc, then go back and do another block of 15mins before moving onto the next drill.

The Reds have looked very good around the park this season late in games and I would think Thorn would be employing some of the above methodology.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It's not rocket science but when I was still playing the coach would make all the forwards essentially run suicides, burpees, you name it for 15mins before starting any type of skills based drill, lineout work, scrums etc, then go back and do another block of 15mins before moving onto the next drill.

I was genuinely thinking about getting back into rugby but bugger that, you have persuaded me my couch is way better.

B

Bobby Sands

If we know one thing about Thorn he will he making the boys train hard.

And out training them all in the gym.

Great to see him get the tackle suit on early in the year and do some light contact stuff.

Cheik used to do close to full contact in some of the drills with the Wobs.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I've been really really impressed with Sorovi -- I was expecting him to be playing Left, Right, Out unless we suffered an injury to McDermott/Malolua but he's obviously really trained well and a few weeks of being in the wilderness has really forced him to step up -- he looked like a starting Super Rugby halfback the last few weeks and bringing McDermott off is actually justified (or moving him to the wing). Plus Tate being able to cover the wing is going to be a good thing for the rest of the season, until we get our hands on Suliasi Vunivalu (and/or a few injuries heal up).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I've been really really impressed with Sorovi -- I was expecting him to be playing Left, Right, Out unless we suffered an injury to McDermott/Malolua but he's obviously really trained well and a few weeks of being in the wilderness has really forced him to step up -- he looked like a starting Super Rugby halfback the last few weeks and bringing McDermott off is actually justified (or moving him to the wing). Plus Tate being able to cover the wing is going to be a good thing for the rest of the season, until we get our hands on Suliasi Vunivalu (and/or a few injuries heal up).

Thought he had an absolutely cracking game on Saturday. Was really impressed with the energy and effort he bought when he came on the field

B

Bobby Sands

Thought he had an absolutely cracking game on Saturday. Was really impressed with the energy and effort he bought when he came on the field

He was good against the Force as well. Seems to be in a purple patch.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

@Tom Hanks
What really impressed me was his physicality, and his quick adjustment -- he'd seen the Brumbies were blitzing the rucks so he stepped up and got down and dirty and tangled with the ruck while staying out enough to at least put the Brumbies under the question mark of if he's a part of the ruck or not. Maybe the adjustment was coaching, maybe it was him, but the ability to adjust like that isn't an easy one, especially for someone like Mo who's use to playing behind the normally dominate Reds pack who have zero trouble securing quick ball.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Twice tonight have read that JP Smith will be departing the Reds, one source said maybe to another Aus team the other doesn’t mention. His brother had already indicated he’s searching for different pastures once his short term deal is done