• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some Rebels due back on Monday I believe (some already back in the gym), so I presume Reds will be the same.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds still haven't announce a new major sponsor for 2021 after St George moved to a minor sponsor, however with the broadcast agreement handing the Reds 6 FTA games in 2021(8 including finals), it's certainly going to give them a boost as the negotiating table.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
For me the fullback spot is still up for grabs, I’m still not convinced Campbell has it locked down. Again if we look at form outside the Reds, he didn’t dominate when returning to clubland like I would have expected a starting Reds player to do especially in such a pivotal position.

I’d like to see both Stewart and Petaia have a crack there in preseason next year. I think Hegarty will be resolved to a bench spot, he’s got got utility value.
The main question for me in the Reds backs is whether Thorn goes with Paisami at 12 and Petaia at 13 or only starts one of them with Stewart at 12. The fringe defence in Super isn’t anywhere near test level and there’s great value in getting ball to your wingers ASAP and letting them do their thing (the Waratahs 2018 campaign was basically built off the back of Taqele running over average defenders out wide). With Daugunu and Vunivalu on the wings the Reds might really benefit from having Stewart distributing from 12. Of course, Paisami slicing through defences is also very tantalising.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Reds still haven't announce a new major sponsor for 2021 after St George moved to a minor sponsor, however with the broadcast agreement handing the Reds 6 FTA games in 2021(8 including finals), it's certainly going to give them a boost as the negotiating table.

It will be an interesting negotiation that's for sure. The FTA games are a big positive, but any potential sponsor will be quick to point out that being on Stan Sports is currently a bit of an island and unknown. May not be as much exposure in the first year or so compared to what they got with Fox Sports.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It will be an interesting negotiation that's for sure. The FTA games are a big positive, but any potential sponsor will be quick to point out that being on Stan Sports is currently a bit of an island and unknown. May not be as much exposure in the first year or so compared to what they got with Fox Sports.
giphy.gif

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I think with 6 regular season FTA games, the exposure for the Reds next year is going to be greater then any previous year, regardless of some matches going to Stan. Add in Stan and a potential FTA finals series and the exposure is significantly greater.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think with 6 regular season FTA games, the exposure for the Reds next year is going to be greater then any previous year, regardless of some matches going to Stan. Add in Stan and a potential FTA finals series and the exposure is significantly greater.

I don't disagree, but convincing a new sponsor of all the benefits of this new format isn't going to be a cakewalk until there are some runs on the board and the 9/Stan pathway has some actual viewership figures to back it up. It's a very different negotiating landscape than say the last 25 years with Fox.

If the QRU are smart, they'll sign a shorter term (but fair) agreement with whomever is keen, with the hope that more games hit FTA over the coming years, more Stan Sports subscribers jump on board as hopefully Stan gets more high profile sports etc. and then the following deal will be worth the big bucks.

The point I'm trying to make is that I definitely think there is more value to be had with this new broadcast deal when it comes to sponsors, but we shouldn't get into bed with the first suitor. The value will come in a few years when there are hard numbers to backup what that jersey is worth.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Spoke with a squad player today and deals have been signed this week already, lots were drafted and just waiting for the final broadcast deal, that’s not really anything new but good to know the ball is rolling.
So of the players whose contracts finished up this year, who’s at training?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I don't disagree, but convincing a new sponsor of all the benefits of this new format isn't going to be a cakewalk until there are some runs on the board and the 9/Stan pathway has some actual viewership figures to back it up. It's a very different negotiating landscape than say the last 25 years with Fox.

If the QRU are smart, they'll sign a shorter term (but fair) agreement with whomever is keen, with the hope that more games hit FTA over the coming years, more Stan Sports subscribers jump on board as hopefully Stan gets more high profile sports etc. and then the following deal will be worth the big bucks.

The point I'm trying to make is that I definitely think there is more value to be had with this new broadcast deal when it comes to sponsors, but we shouldn't get into bed with the first suitor. The value will come in a few years when there are hard numbers to backup what that jersey is worth.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ts-as-full-draw-revealed-20201111-p56dkx.html
But the Herald can reveal a six-week competition – in which the five Australian teams will play each New Zealand franchise once – is set to be approved in the coming days.
The two teams that finish at the top of the 10-team ladder will then square off in a trans-Tasman Super Rugby final.

This is exciting, it also opens more opportunity to either have a sponsor that is in NZ and Australia as they will get even more exposure.

I wonder if the reds have thought of more smaller sponsors, other teams around the world have prominent sponsorship on their shorts, are we missing out or is there a rule against this in Australia?

I think a company like Virgin Australia would be a good sponsor, they operate across both sides of the ditch and can cash in on post covid tourism.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ts-as-full-draw-revealed-20201111-p56dkx.html

This is exciting, it also opens more opportunity to either have a sponsor that is in NZ and Australia as they will get even more exposure.

I wonder if the reds have thought of more smaller sponsors, other teams around the world have prominent sponsorship on their shorts, are we missing out or is there a rule against this in Australia?

I think a company like Virgin Australia would be a good sponsor, they operate across both sides of the ditch and can cash in on post covid tourism.

The Super Rugby teams this year had sleeve, front of short, back of short, back of jersey and front of jersey sponsors sponsors.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds had Virgin in the past, doubt they would be wanting to spend money on sponsorship when they are struggling to survive.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reds had Virgin in the past, doubt they would be wanting to spend money on sponsorship when they are struggling to survive.

it might prove tough for them to justify, but if Virgin are setting up base in Brisbane and the Reds possibly likely to be one of the more successful pro teams in Brisbane - well there is obvious synergy.

Chasing sponsors will be tough in the current environment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
can't imagine any airlines with too much money to throw around just yet. International flights, at least, aren't expected to get back to normal until 2024.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Reds have a very nice start to the season with home games against the 'Tahs & Rebels. Run home is tough though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well, at least they don’t disappear to South Africa for a few weeks, travel load will at worst be a 3 hr flight to Perth