• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The pathway needs to be clear. Each QPR club should create an alliance to a QLD region. Form strong relationships so when a kid does decide to move to the city they already have a network at a particular club (doesn't mean they have to go there but it is a start). NRC should be based on North v South of the River clubs. This then makes it easier for a supporter to follow. Currently my club has players on both teams so who am I to support?
This idea I agree with - although I’d point out that there is nothing stopping country areas already reaching out to QPR clubs. There are already some of these relationships in place and some wins are being had.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
This idea I agree with - although I’d point out that there is nothing stopping country areas already reaching out to QPR clubs. There are already some of these relationships in place and some wins are being had.
Form the relationship it doesn't matter who reaches out first.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree. Don’t get me wrong, I think some QPR clubs would do themselves enormous favours to reach out to regional areas. I know some already have as well.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Over the past 20 years the prestige of QLD Country team has been diluted. Do you agree?
If not mistaken the QLD Country organisation (selectors) have been taken over by the Reds coaches and now field the players in both the City and Country teams based on players in Brisbane, and more so the players around the Reds, and their subsequent origins.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Over the past 20 years the prestige of QLD Country team has been diluted. Do you agree?
If not mistaken the QLD Country organisation (selectors) have been taken over by the Reds coaches and now field the players in both the City and Country teams based on players in Brisbane, and more so the players around the Reds, and their subsequent origins.
I think there needs to be a differentiation between the Qld Country NRC and the Qld Country representative team which is still chooses from country based players and plays/tours as a genuine representative side made up of players from regional areas.

The QRU supports both programs.

I do have some concerns around aspects of the Qld Country rep team program - but I feel I am not across enough of the detail of that to make public comment.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think there needs to be a differentiation between the Qld Country NRC and the Qld Country representative team which is still chooses from country based players and plays/tours as a genuine representative side made up of players from regional areas.

The QRU supports both programs.

I do have some concerns around aspects of the Qld Country rep team program - but I feel I am not across enough of the detail of that to make public comment.
Yeah I’m unsure how it works but it would be great to see the regional players get a chance to put on that Country jersey.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I’m unsure how it works but it would be great to see the regional players get a chance to put on that Country jersey.
They still do.

I do agree it seems to have slipped a bit in relevance. But I think that is a reflection of sport itself. It has become more centralised and streamlined. Regrettably some of the old customs have gone are been diminished.

I don’t know if it will ever really turn around - but over the last couple of years i have noted professional sport seems to be trending back towards taking teams to regional areas (so long as it is on commercial terms). Hopefully more of that will happen - but commercial reality is always going to create constraints.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The pathway needs to be clear. Each QPR club should create an alliance to a QLD region. Form strong relationships so when a kid does decide to move to the city they already have a network at a particular club (doesn't mean they have to go there but it is a start). NRC should be based on North v South of the River clubs. This then makes it easier for a supporter to follow. Currently my club has players on both teams so who am I to support?

Do you consider yourself a city person or a country person?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I should clarify on the above points I agree about the alignment between QPR clubs and regional areas.

I’d like to see the NRC teams stay as City & Country, not North & South.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
In the early 1980's there was a comp called the XXXX Cup. Each country region would have an internal competition (between cities) to then be selected in either the North Qld, Central Qld, or Southern Qld rep teams. The three teams would then come to Brisbane and play a Brisbane team in a four way comp in front of QLD selectors. The QLD Country team would be selected from the three regional teams and anyone good enough could also be identified by the Reds selectors. It seemed to work reasonably well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think you’ll find initiatives like that stayed in place until at least the 2000s. I played in some of those feeder competitions in the 90s and early 2000s — although never above regional selection. I played a couple of games against Brisbane opposition (even then some of the scores were a blow out, and that was at a time when CQ was strong, winning the country champs in 2000).

I just think there have been some very significant changes over the last 10 years.

Really though, Qld Country is a massive area and I know some regions are making a better fist of if then others. If there are others in other sub unions who think differently it may well be that their sub unions could put something together. I am not across all the areas. Certainly the closer to the SE corner the better chance of it working IMO. My point here was that a QPR with teams across all of regional Qld is neither doable nor necessarily as desirable as it may appear. But some individual participants may do fine.

I wouldn’t personally place any faith around things that were done or that worked 40 yrs ago or even 15 years ago though. The landscape has fundamentally changed since then.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
From an outsider looking in - rugby fan with no ties anymore to a club or to Darling Downs Rugby - I am really liking what is happening on the Downs. We have TGS and Downlands of course, but Downs Rugby also run a comp for non-traditional rugby schools which involves a number of State High Schools, Catholic Schools and other independent schools from Toowoomba, Warwick, Dalby and Plainland. There is a 15-a-side boys comp played on Friday nights in different age groups and later in the year a 7s comp for boys and girls. Smaller schools combine to form teams and the most promising sign was that Rugby League powerhouse St Mary's also played this year.
When you consider the Downs rugby products of recent years - the Smith brothers, Mack Mason, Harry Hoopert, Hamish Stewart, Mac Grealy, Jonah Placid to name just a few - I think it would be great to see a Downs team in the QPR. You wonder just how much hidden talent there is up here. I'm sure there are a lot of top players who don't want to leave the bush but would be able to cope playing at a higher level.
Not sure how it would affect the local Risdon Cup though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I feel like I’ve been a bit of a kill joy this morning.

I’d like to say it is great to read comments from many of you wanting to have better engagement with regional areas regardless of my own reservations.

And i do think we were seeing a definite increase in effort from the Reds/QRU/RA to engage the regions.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
From an outsider looking in - rugby fan with no ties anymore to a club or to Darling Downs Rugby - I am really liking what is happening on the Downs. We have TGS and Downlands of course, but Downs Rugby also run a comp for non-traditional rugby schools which involves a number of State High Schools, Catholic Schools and other independent schools from Toowoomba, Warwick, Dalby and Plainland. There is a 15-a-side boys comp played on Friday nights in different age groups and later in the year a 7s comp for boys and girls. Smaller schools combine to form teams and the most promising sign was that Rugby League powerhouse St Mary's also played this year.
When you consider the Downs rugby products of recent years - the Smith brothers, Mack Mason, Harry Hoopert, Hamish Stewart, Mac Grealy, Jonah Placid to name just a few - I think it would be great to see a Downs team in the QPR. You wonder just how much hidden talent there is up here. I'm sure there are a lot of top players who don't want to leave the bush but would be able to cope playing at a higher level.
Not sure how it would affect the local Risdon Cup though.

It would be great if a large company like Wagner Corporation could sponsor a Toowoomba/Downs team to help make it affordable and look at helping with employment for country kids wanting to move to the south east for Rugby.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
OK, I said Jordy might be a good 15, but maybe we should consider wing? Some guys just don't have the rugby IQ. Nobody can deny his talent, but I think most of us agree his running game is what got us all interested in the first place. If that is what he does best, maybe he should focus on that. Further readings from tonight's game... Hunter might be our reds long term 13 and I think he will be a bloody good one. Side note: I know we have Vuni coming from Melbourne, but maybe Filipo could be a bench option, given his tendency to make large errors in judgement but massive impact.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I remain confident of Jordy at 13.

In the first NRC I watched him play one of the things that impressed me was how he positioned his winger consistently.

He did have an unhappy test series and lasts nights game was a bit of a shocker, but I think he’ll be fine in time.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For Petaia it’s a matter of how he will adapt himself whilst still being the standout player in that position.

He doesn’t have the benefit of playing several years of senior footy at club level to hone his craft and really nail down his strengths and weaknesses. He’s even missed a big chunk of his junior professional development due to injury.

He will be expected to make an impact each game at Super level as he is the incumbent Wallabies 13, but he is still growing into how to play that role effectively.