• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’m not aware of any of those coming from fatigue/burnout. it could well be - maybe I’m just not aware of it.
It has been alleged that Mafi’s injury was preventable - I’ve heard he raised neck soreness issues with medical staff that week and didn’t train much leading up the game. Ended up playing as was ‘cleared’ by the staff. Sounds like surgery was going to be on the cards regardless though.

It was the same game that Taniela travelled with the team but didn’t end up playing. Again, allegedly Taniela ruled himself out during the week, but was asked to travel and warmup anyway. His official status was ruled out in the warmup but in actuality he was never really any chance of playing. The fact that medical staff still wanted to evaluate him on game day caused some friction, apparently.

There have been a few stories about certain players unhappy at the Reds, Tupou obviously came out specifically and denied it. But I think there is a bit of fire with the smoke. Not as dire as some reports suggested, but enough that players are weighing up options for next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah, it can be. But it can be a lot of things. The comment above indicate we’ve had a lot of injuries from overuse/fatigue. I’m not really sure that’s true.

Petaia & Vunivalu are guys who’ve certainly been treated very carefully. But you certainly couldn’t say they’ve been overused. Any sign of trouble and they’ve been taken from the field.

Off the top of my head our other injuries have been Mafi, Nasser, Nonggorr (I think) Salakao-Loti, Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), McDermott, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Henry, Campbell, Paisami. Any I’ve missed?

I’m not aware of any of those coming from fatigue/burnout. it could well be - maybe I’m just not aware of it.
If anyone was going to get a fatigue related injury it was Tupou.

Good chance for some other players to step up though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I think his workload has been less this year than last though.

He missed a game earlier in the year, started from the bench a few weeks ago and was pulled from games with 20mins to go a couple of times (in games where the Reds nearly gave up substantial leads).

Also gave himself an early shower one game with the tripping yellow card with ten mins to go.

Not ruling out it could be fatigue related but I think he’s actually been managed quite well this year in terms of usage and minutes.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Sure -but my point is that it is speculation. I think we should be clear on these things, that’s all.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Queensland Reds are seeking further medical opinion, however it is expected tighthead prop Taniela Tupou will be sidelined for the remainder of the Super Rugby Pacific season with a calf strain suffered in last Friday's match against the Chiefs.
I hope it is only 8 weeks or so, bloody calf strains can take a long time to clear.
I was wondering if he felt something before games as commentators were talking about him not looking that flash during warm up.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

I hope it is only 8 weeks or so, bloody calf strains can take a long time to clear.
I was wondering if he felt something before games as commentators were talking about him not looking that flash during warm up.
Yeah, he didn't appear to run smoothly while he was on

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well Tom’s training.

405472F1-270A-4515-8E39-C172B7943FEA.jpeg

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting enough, Tupou's calf went during the scrum at the 42 minute. Or what everyone knows it as, the scrum where the chiefs loose head was at a 90 degree angle.

The 5 minutes or so leading up to it was pretty stop start rugby. Knowing Tupou has gone the full 80 before, I wouldn't say it's entirely a muscle fatigue thing.

Could just as easily been, the extra strain on him to deal with the LH prop was the final straw.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah occurred in the scrum, which collapsed. Chiefs LHP was literally driving across the field.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So if it weren't for a top 8 finals (seems crazy) the Reds would be a decent chance of dropping out of contention.

This weekend against the Highlanders is a key game to see if they can nab a win without two (or more) key players.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

They are not even rushing him to play premier grade.

The mail is Tom is going to be turning out for UQ Premier Colts. I think we are a little way off seeing Lynagh being a contributing reds member.
hope so because UQ Colts backline is in need of something to spark it up a bit.