• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thoughts on the trial?

A couple of randoms from me -
- Lynagh & Henry both very good. I thought Creighton was solid when he came on too
- Liam Wright looks bigger.
- Set piece needs work, but it was good to see us compete and win some line out turnovers
- Backrow & Uru were excellent
- I thought Zander was solid
- Both hookers still have work to do
- Ravai could be the get of the season
- Looks like we’ve thrown the shackles off

Both teams ran a lot of line outs without defensive jumpers. Sure, a lot of that was close to the line preparing maul/maul defense - but not all of it.

On the other hand, we used our loose forwards in the defensive line outs quite a lot. I love having options outside of the row.

Lynagh was interesting and clearly it would be silly to downplay things at this very early stage. At the same time he reminds me of Lolesio and I'll want to see more output in gameplay. Individual skills were ahead of his experience so let's see where it takes us.

The offload game was a real change, especially in the forwards. Strangely they seemed to stick more than sometimes in the backs.

We have work to do in the exit from our 25 and in play kicking. Aubrey kick receipt will need work for sure.

A lot of positives, and all of the rust can be put down to exactly that - rust being knocked off in a trial. I'm feeling hopeful leading in to Round 1!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Vunivalu's performance was okay but not standout. Needs to really step it up and go looking for work - and I'm still not sure he's adjusted to the 15 man game. There were a few occasions where he got caught in centre field and looked a deer in headlights, with other players (notably Wilson) directing him around.

In saying that, based on last night, I reckon I'd still have him over Daugunu.
Daugunu's descent seems to continue.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Forgetting whos injured and hoping Smith isn’t, my team for Rnd 1

15 Campbell
14 Flook
13 Paisami
12 Henry
11 Petaia
10 Creighton
9 McDermott
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Wright (c)
5 Smith
4 Uru
3 Nonggorr
2 Faessler
1 Ravai

16 Asiata
17 Zander
18 Fa’agase
19 Jones
20 Anderson
21 Thomas
22 O’Connor
23 Vunivalu.

Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) and Lawson swap to provide more versatility on the bench but just wary of JOC (James O'Connor)’s fitness.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just listened to Brad's post match interview. All fairly standard. Happy that hey had improved on last week. Happy with defensive lineout (agree - and I thought Wright was a great lineout option). Wants to work on mauls (both defense and attack). Only player he named all interview, of his own volition, was Lynagh who he said impressed.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

15 Campbell
14 Flook
13 Paisami
12 Henry
11 Petaia
10 Creighton
9 McDermott
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Wright (c)
5 Smith
4 Uru
3 Nonggorr
2 Faessler
1 Ravai

16 Asiata
17 Zander
18 Fa’agase
19 Jones
20 Anderson
21 Thomas
22 O’Connor
23 Vunivalu.

Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lawson swap to provide more versatility on the bench but just wary of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)’s fitness.
I don't want to get too excited, but this feels like a bloody mega team

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The key position is going to be flyhalf (I know that’s a cliche). Creighton is what I would call a handy player who played above his level last year. And Lynagh who looks good, but obviously unproven at this level.

We need those two to really establish themselves as Super Rugby players of note, the kinda guys that other franchises see and wish they played for them. Neither of those guys are there yet.

Obviously there is JOC (James O'Connor), but he’s clearly not going to be 100% and is likely on the way out after this year so I imagine Creighton will do a lot of the heavy lifting this season.

The rest of the team is very strong, good depth in a number of positions and a fair few Wallaby caps.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

15 Campbell
14 Flook
13 Paisami
12 Henry
11 Petaia
10 Creighton
9 McDermott
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Wright (c)
5 Smith
4 Uru
3 Nonggorr
2 Faessler
1 Ravai

16 Asiata
17 Zander
18 Fa’agase
19 Jones
20 Anderson
21 Thomas
22 O’Connor
23 Vunivalu.

Maybe JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lawson swap to provide more versatility on the bench but just wary of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)’s fitness.
My only changes would be dropping Vunivalu, seems like a waste on the bench as he only seems to be a winger at this stage.

I would either have Daugunu or Vunivalu start at 14 and move Flook into 13 with Paisami on the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My only changes would be dropping Vunivalu, seems like a waste on the bench as he only seems to be a winger at this stage.

I would either have Daugunu or Vunivalu start at 14 and move Flook into 13 with Paisami on the bench.

yep, very valid about Vunivalu. I just can't support Daugunu at the moment, and I've been a long term fan. He's just making too many mistakes and if we are crying out to be more disciplined, I don't think we can pick him.

Would not be against benching Paisami for Flook at 13 either.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Do you start Jock Rd1 without any trial time?
I wouldn't, I am not overly confident that we will have a truly successful season so I think we should look at playing JOC (James O'Connor) from the bench and letting Creighton and Lynagh get some decent minutes on the field. If it is not working then JOC (James O'Connor) can come on early but I think issues arise when backups don't get a chance to play (especially without an NRC or club rugby).
As much as I enjoy seeing Thor playing 80 minutes it did not let Nongorr to get many minutes on the field, hopefully this wont end up being an issue. The same problem could come with our back up 10's if we are reliant on JOC (James O'Connor).

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wouldn't, I am not overly confident that we will have a truly successful season so I think we should look at playing JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) from the bench and letting Creighton and Lynagh get some decent minutes on the field. If it is not working then JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) can come on early but I think issues arise when backups don't get a chance to play (especially without an NRC or club rugby).
As much as I enjoy seeing Thor playing 80 minutes it did not let Nongorr to get many minutes on the field, hopefully this wont end up being an issue. The same problem could come with our back up 10's if we are reliant on JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor).
Just to clarify, I cant see us in the top 6, I am thinking 8-10th spot at season end

Reactions: dru

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn't, I am not overly confident that we will have a truly successful season so I think we should look at playing JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) from the bench and letting Creighton and Lynagh get some decent minutes on the field. If it is not working then JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) can come on early but I think issues arise when backups don't get a chance to play (especially without an NRC or club rugby).
As much as I enjoy seeing Thor playing 80 minutes it did not let Nongorr to get many minutes on the field, hopefully this wont end up being an issue. The same problem could come with our back up 10's if we are reliant on JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor).
Pretty sure he was asking about Jock Campbell, not O'Connor

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t see why we shouldn’t have an expectation to be successful. Or, if people prefer, I don’t see why we have any excuses if we aren’t.

My biggest issue was at 3. Nonngorr will be under pressure, but the acquisition of Ravai is an important one.

Everywhere else we are comparable or arguably stronger than last year.

Salakai-Loto missed a lot of last year and Jones is a good addition.

Liam Wright being fit is a big bonus.

Henry looks a very good replacement for Stewart.

Guys like Thomas, Uru, Asiata, Faessler & Flook all should be better for the extra year. Creighton has definitely come on.

If/when we get a run if injuries we will be tested and I think the bottom 5-6 guys in our squad are a decent way short of where we need them. If we have a bad injury run we’ll struggle. But if we get some luck with injuries we should expect this squad to compete.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t see why we shouldn’t have an expectation to be successful. Or, if people prefer, I don’t see why we have any excuses if we aren’t.

My biggest issue was at 3. Nonngorr will be under pressure, but the acquisition of Ravai is an important one.

Everywhere else we are comparable or arguably stronger than last year.
Front row in general is our biggest risk in general imo - it's where we have the least experience, least depth, and fewest international-standard (or thereabouts) players

Reactions: TSR