• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would normally tend to agree but I have seen in the URC that both the Smiths are playing regularly for the lions & the stormers got Brok Harris back & playing well at 38. Any of the aus franchise could do worse than have a prop with the experience of sam if they dont just break down 3 times a season. Most of them up & go in their late 20's to japan or france so we never see it down here.

Talakai is 31? Barely getting into his stride as a prop, surely. Life does not end at 30 guys.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Talakai is 31? Barely getting into his stride as a prop, surely. Life does not end at 30 guys.

I agree, but in the same way a prop doesn't reach 'vintage' until later in their career, the idea that they are 'peaking' later is also a bit misleading in the modern era.

Lots of good props are being blooded far younger than they were before, as well as playing lots of junior rep games etc. Means more miles in the legs. Look at some of the best props going around here at the moment, Tupou, Bell and Pone are already dealing with significant injuries.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree, but in the same way a prop doesn't reach 'vintage' until later in their career, the idea that they are 'peaking' later is also a bit misleading in the modern era.

Lots of good props are being blooded far younger than they were before, as well as playing lots of junior rep games etc. Means more miles in the legs. Look at some of the best props going around here at the moment, Tupou, Bell and Pone are already dealing with significant injuries.

Mate, I hear you. But this started from a post where Talakai was being written off due to age. At 31. For a prop.

I'm not going to dive into Bell and Pone here, but Tupou? Have a look at his playing roster over the last two seasons. There is a reason that world rugby requires a back up entire front row on the bench. Hint, it's not about their career longevity.

Sam, Sam, just fucking go for it, youngster.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ryan Smith to host the official Reds podcast:

It’s very good. One for Reds fans for sure but other supporters might appreciate the insight. Some good stuff on the new coaches and structures. Smith is very good as a host and the co-host (Peter Fairbairn) is a great support host and doesn’t try to make it a pure PR machine like the guy on Eddie.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It’s very good. One for Reds fans for sure but other supporters might appreciate the insight. Some good stuff on the new coaches and structures. Smith is very good as a host and the co-host (Peter Fairbairn) is a great support host and doesn’t try to make it a pure PR machine like the guy on Eddie.
Yep, ep 1's a pretty strong start. Excited to see where it goes.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Sam Talakai must be nearly ready to hang up the boots.
Cant see Pone moving as he is a local developed player, I thought. The back room seem to want to promote that along with Leota and Hosea.
Eloff is connected to Wests in Brisbane which might interest him on a more permanent move to the reds.

The big question is where are the Reds going to find a group of tough fit second rowers?
Talakai is 31. Prop prime. Great bench man for any team.

Eloff and Talakai are under contract through 2024. Pone is available after 2023. They might have just forced him out, going from potential first choice THP and Wallaby hopefuly, to guarenteed 2nd fiddle, even if Eloff switches sides.

I dont hugely rate Thorn, but think he'd do well with Pone from a work ethic and play style perspective.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Isn’t Pete on these forums too?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
AE6B4B00-F14C-47BF-8092-8EF8CC1A5F21.jpeg

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Apparently Michael Wood - played a couple at he waratahs - was meant to be starting however is injured

Wood is actually a late call up, was taken from Brothers training on Tuesday night I've heard.

He is injury cover the last I heard as there are some clouds over the two starters. Your info might be more current than mine but that's what I heard yesterday.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a Super Rugby crack this year. Brothers had been transitioning him to prop last season, but he cracked up big time after getting minced by a few grades props. He's still a massive lump of a bloke, not sure if he has the legs to play Super Rugby, but wait and see.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
At lock, backrow or prop? I know he was moved around a bit, probably to his detriment. Was great in the under 20s though, I'd love to see him find his feet again.
Not entirely sure to be honest but it was somewhere in the back 5 - likewise, loved his physicality