• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

We might be seeing the GPS Rugby League comp by then:(
That will leave the purists to move their kids to AIC and other schools I guess.
Will only strengthen those outfits (and I don't mean only with Rugby)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
We might be seeing the GPS Rugby League comp by then:(
Even if it happens, I can't see it being offered in the same term as union - too many old boys with influence - and I imagine schools would want a strong program across both codes, rather than two drawing from the same pool at the same time. Similar to what happened to let boys play both soccer and rugby a few years ago.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Even if it happens, I can't see it being offered in the same term as union - too many old boys with influence - and I imagine schools would want a strong program across both codes, rather than two drawing from the same pool at the same time. Similar to what happened to let boys play both soccer and rugby a few years ago.

The difference is though, the old boys with influence are being phased out, yes it’s not happening overnight. But those rugby elite who also hold Tattersall memberships etc are hitting their 60s and 70s. The roles and influence they hold is being diminished.

Whilst the ties that bind are still strong in the next crop, the old boys of the next generation have a more cynical view of our great game because they’ve been exposed to more of the cons than the pros.

Lo and behold I know of a brisbane law firm made up of mostly GPS old boys who recently handed back their Suncorp box for Reds games inleiu of picking one up for Broncos games. It was a business decision, their clients and employees would rather go to the NRL.

GPS schools seem to be making business decisions in the same space with this recent announcement.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The difference is though, the old boys with influence are being phased out, yes it’s not happening overnight. But those rugby elite who also hold Tattersall memberships etc are hitting their 60s and 70s. The roles and influence they hold is being diminished.

Whilst the ties that bind are still strong in the next crop, the old boys of the next generation have a more cynical view of our great game because they’ve been exposed to more of the cons than the pros.

Lo and behold I know of a brisbane law firm made up of mostly GPS old boys who recently handed back their Suncorp box for Reds games inleiu of picking one up for Broncos games. It was a business decision, their clients and employees would rather go to the NRL.

GPS schools seem to be making business decisions in the same space with this recent announcement.
Yeah, unfortunately the influence is already there and in a number of ways.

I’m aware of an AIC school where a couple of the teachers come from a league background. They couldn’t care less about the rugby history/tradition of the school. They are very active in promoting league in the school and push league at every chance.

Last edited:
D

DELETE ACCOUNT

The worst thing about these "business decisions " is the lack of opportunity league offers to the players / coaches who don't make the top 0.5%.
I mean the ones who traditionally "had boots will travel" to see the world.
RL is played in maybe 15-20 countries where as RU is in well over 60.
RU offers a unique cameraderie I have not seen in RL. Take for example the Golden Oldies "tournaments" (Perth looks inviting). the Hong Kong Sevens /10s carnival, Commonwealth and Olympic Games opportunities. Not to forget country rugby all over Oz.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Absolutely agree that it's business-led decision making, but I would hesitate to say the influence of old boys is diminishing just yet, in some schools anyway. In only the last couple of years there have been some sporting personnel changes brought about directly as a result of disgruntled old boys. Obviously internal decisions and the directions/operations of the broader GPS are apples and oranges, but I wouldn't count it out.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Absolutely agree that it's business-led decision making, but I would hesitate to say the influence of old boys is diminishing just yet, in some schools anyway. In only the last couple of years there have been some sporting personnel changes brought about directly as a result of disgruntled old boys. Obviously internal decisions and the directions/operations of the broader GPS are apples and oranges, but I wouldn't count it out.

Agree mate it isn’t happening at a large scale yet, but like any hostile takeover, the water seems calm until the dam breaks.

Rugby League just seems to be one step ahead of us. It wasn’t long ago that posters on the QPR thread were talking about pushing rugby into Redcliffe again and trying to bring some of that talent across. Then suddenly boom, NRL allocate a team there and that team decide to go straight to the jugular and partner with one of the best rugby nursery’s in QLD. Hard to play at that game.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Don't get your tits in a tangle over league penetrating Nudgee or other GPS schools.
It wasn't long ago that the AFL had an arrangement where there was a GPS competition after their rugby season finished.
I was surprised to hear it had stopped a few years later, and was told by a friend in the know that the GPS headmasters jointly decided it placed too much of a strain on the boy's studies.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
AFL in general doesn’t have the same following as the NRL in QLD. They also don’t target the same type of athlete for the most part. Skills are more easily transferred beteeen league and rugby.

Regerdless, it isn’t even about having a competition being run, giving NRL teams direct access to schoolboy rugby players before even what you’d consider a recruiting stage is the issue.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Don't get your tits in a tangle over league penetrating Nudgee or other GPS schools.
It wasn't long ago that the AFL had an arrangement where there was a GPS competition after their rugby season finished.
I was surprised to hear it had stopped a few years later, and was told by a friend in the know that the GPS headmasters jointly decided it placed too much of a strain on the boy's studies.
Agree
I know one of the GPS schools love the league fraternity because the clubs pay full fee for the kids so that they can get them "down from the bush" early before they get snapped up by another operation.
The parents love it because they get an education the parents would never have been able to sort out and they know the kids are in a disciplined reputable place.

I am sure the concept of a serious takeover lock stock and barrel would find too many hurdles and push back.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Regerdless, it isn’t even about having a competition being run, giving NRL teams direct access to schoolboy rugby players before even what you’d consider a recruiting stage is the issue.
It's even more than just recruiting pathways - it's exposure and familiarity. It happens now to a lesser extent, but things like having players/coaches run workshops and holiday camps, doing school visits, even just association between the two organisations (like the Broncs and UQ) will absolutely sway allegiances.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
That will leave the purists to move their kids to AIC and other schools I guess.
Will only strengthen those outfits (and I don't mean only with Rugby)
AIC already does league. Most the schools play Confra Cup in June/July holidays followed by a AIC comp ( albeit reduced in numbers of teams ) in Term3.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not directly Reds related, but Nemani Nadalo's name has been thrown around a few times here.

Heard earlier today he's likely to announce a contract in Japan sometime soon. 2023 and 2024 for just north of $1M.

Even if it's bs (and I don't believe it is) if that's the money he's looking for I don't think he's in the Reds budget.