• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’ve always thought Heenan was a qpr overachiever but a NRC underachiever

there’s no denying he’s a good third tier coach but when he stepped up to the next level at NRC there was a few question mark selections where I thought he might not be ready for next level.

I actually think Heenan might be in the mixer for the next rebels gig (along with Tim Sampson) all dependent on how the incumbent Kevin Foote goes.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Heenan would be better off in a role that allows him to grow rather than setting himself up for failure by being thrown in the deep end as the Reds HC. It's not like Brisbane City was a stand out in the 2018 NRC competition .....
never said HC straight up

I believe he would benefit as an assistant role for a year or two then take the HC role.

I am backing a dark horse to join the reds. Mick Heenan

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
With the departure of Stewart and O'Connor falling from favour with Rennie I wonder if we'll see a bit of 10 Creighton, 12 O'Connor next year, particularily early in the season.

We really need to be more proactive in bringing depth on in a few key positions (10 and 3 the main ones right now) and giving Creighton the chance to build into the season with O'Connor there to support could be an ideal way to do that.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
With the departure of Stewart and O'Connor falling from favour with Rennie I wonder if we'll see a bit of 10 Creighton, 12 O'Connor next year, particularily early in the season.

We really need to be more proactive in bringing depth on in a few key positions (10 and 3 the main ones right now) and giving Creighton the chance to build into the season with O'Connor there to support could be an ideal way to do that.

Interestingly enough, Creighton is due back from injury this weekend for Brothers and during the finals. I wonder if they will run him at 10, Stewart 12 and possibly JOC (James O'Connor) fullback.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Interestingly enough, Creighton is due back from injury this weekend for Brothers and during the finals. I wonder if they will run him at 10, Stewart 12 and possibly JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) fullback.
I would've thought Creighton comes on for JOC (James O'Connor) in the 2nd. Would be interesting to get a taste of JOC (James O'Connor) at 15 though, after the commentary around it earlier in the year. Not sure if his pace is up to it, even at club level.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
gees. Harsh on Tayler Adams but a good chance of happening regardless. With Paddy James off the bench.

Yeh mate I agree, Adams has been there all year and pretty much won them some games with his goal kicking (after spraying a few early in the year).

I'm just not sure what other options they have... can't fit them all in.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would've thought Creighton comes on for JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) in the 2nd. Would be interesting to get a taste of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 15 though, after the commentary around it earlier in the year. Not sure if his pace is up to it, even at club level.

If they were going to give him a run at 15, this weekend is probably the one to do it.

Playing Sunnybank who got demolished last week. Might be a good chance to see if he's still got the legs for 15 before they play in a knockout semi the following week.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeh mate I agree, Adams has been there all year and pretty much won them some games with his goal kicking (after spraying a few early in the year).

I'm just not sure what other options they have... can't fit them all in.
They could go 10 Creighton, 12 Stewart, 13 O'Connor, though that seems unlikely.

Pretty sure there's an open wing spot too after Billy Bully was injured, I wonder if they'll use that somehow to squeeze in all the regulars and wallabies/super talent.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting little tidbit in that announcement:
In an innovative two-year deal, the contract will see the backrower available to play overseas during the Super Rugby Pacific off-season should he not be selected for the Wallabies.

I imagine we'll be seeing more and more of this for established super rugby players outside the Wallaby squads, at least until there is some sort of legitimate NRC successor in place.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I imagine we'll be seeing more and more of this for established super rugby players outside the Wallaby squads, at least until there is some sort of legitimate NRC successor in place.

Even an NRC type competition likely wouldn't be able to pay some of these guys as much as they'd make with a quick stint overseas.

An MLR type tournament would be perfect for these contracts, but those actual dates won't work with SRP (Super Rugby Pacific).

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Even an NRC type competition likely wouldn't be able to pay some of these guys as much as they'd make with a quick stint overseas.

An MLR type tournament would be perfect for these contracts, but those actual dates won't work with (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific).
I think the main one many of them will look at is the NPC in Un Zud

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I think the main one many of them will look at is the NPC in Un Zud
Yeah the only issues is competitions running in parallel to the super rugby season. NPC is probably the most likely option, not sure what the pay is like though? I'm sure the playing seeking these contracts would be keen on a pretty solid $$ injection.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Yeah the only issues is competitions running in parallel to the super rugby season. NPC is probably the most likely option, not sure what the pay is like though? I'm sure the playing seeking these contracts would be keen on a pretty solid $$ injection.
I think some will go to NPC for a couple of reasons-:
- have it on the resume to add dollars for a Japan or Europe deal later
- hone up their skillset (apparently NZ rugby is better for this)
- it is only top up money, their main annual wage is earnt at super rugby level.
- experience a different place and style of coaching etc. sometimes a change is a refreshing injection.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Someone going to play NPC stops being paid by their Super Rugby team don't they?

I don't think it is a way for full time Super Rugby players to earn additional money.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Someone going to play NPC stops being paid by their Super Rugby team don't they?

I don't think it is a way for full time Super Rugby players to earn additional money.
I think that has been correct in the past (or the NPC salary covers a portion of their super salary), but they way the announcement was phrased I'm not sure that would be the case here.

Still I doubt the focus of this sort of deal would be NPC for the simple reason that contracted players going to the NPC is already happening at the Reds and has been going on for years. I think the aim here will be medical joker contracts in Europe. With all the major European competitions having cross over with the world cup (at least they always have in the past) there will likely be a lot of interest in short term contracts for players who want be called up for test rugby.