• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
does the average 21 year old have people talking about him on the internet.

sorry i don’t understand how he should ‘back off’ on his expectations ?

I’m just glad he is staying for 3 more years, he is a player who can be a point of difference and at 21 still has a lot of development to go

I hear you Adam. I still feel he is fighting for a slot in the starting 15. From me he does not get a nod :
Over Jock at 15 (clearly Thorne disagrees)
Over Paisami at 13.
And wing he only gets there as we aren’t necessarily strong with Daugunu and Vunivalu.

three more years is good, subject to cost and the role he is paid for matching the role he actually plays. The bloke has talent but so do others around him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hopefully this means the Reds are confident in the Hooker stocks for next year.

I mean they can't be too confident at the moment - they don't have any signed! I think hooker stocks in general in Queensland are healthy - in QPR we have guys like Matt Mafi, Sean Farrell and Tonga Ma'afu who could step up to Super Rugby level if needed. The issue is whether they'd be able to stay at that level.

I'd like to see them grab someone with plenty of Super Rugby/equivalent competition caps under their belt. Nasser is doing better than most expected, but is still young, he could use an older head in the ranks.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Gonna throw it out there, but the Reds would be better off using that cash and foreign marquee spot on a Hooker than another Fijian winger.

I'd imagine the Tahs are in a similar boat, they don't need to spend the cash on Nadolo?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I haven’t been overly critical of Cordingly in the past but if he genuinely goes after Nadolo, he’s an idiot.

The bloke will be 35 next year and judging by his social media, spends a fair chunk of the season nursing injuries and missing games. I think he’s a good bloke, I’ve met him a number of times and he’s trained down at my club a bit in the off-season. But if he wants to return to Australia it should be at club level and earn a contract if good enough.

The Reds also have no shortage of good outside backs coming through the ranks - Aubrey and Grealy to name a few who will likely feature more possibly even this season.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think it all comes down to what Nadolo is willing to do for X $. If he is happy to come back to Brisbane cheap then yay.

In response to another post above - if the Reds should be putting money towards a decent hooker - then they shouldn't be letting Fainga'a walk away or should be trying to work with RA to get a targeted hooker back (Amosa or Latu).

If Fainga'a isn't getting a top up then the only one who should be of national interest for the WC should be Kaituu - and we need more then 1 decent hooker avialable for Wallabys success and we can't afford to give up one of the '3 foreign spots' to a hooker when we know we'll probably need Kerevi, Koroibete and Arnold.

There is a chance solid players are in conversations to sign up for 2023 or 2024 onwards (thus making them available for WC) - or potentially could be if there is positive progress on private equity and a kick up on the next tv deal based on the success stan has had on the cheap. BUT thats more of a hope then a plan.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Think it all comes down to what Nadolo is willing to do for X $. If he is happy to come back to Brisbane cheap then yay.
Even then - is he worth a roster spot considering the depth in the backs, who are much much younger? What's the go with internationally capped players these days in Super Rugby? Is it still only one per team? As the poster mentioned earlier, I would prefer they go hunting for a foreign marquee hooker or if JOC (James O'Connor) moves on and Lynagh still isn't blooded, a marquee flyhalf to play for a year or two.

IF Nadolo were to come to the Reds you would have to think it would be on the cheap cheap. If he wanted to keep earning decent bucks, I'm sure a Japanese side would pick him up and he would be significantly closer to his family in Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even then - is he worth a roster spot considering the depth in the backs, who are much much younger? What's the go with internationally capped players these days in Super Rugby? Is it still only one per team? As the poster mentioned earlier, I would prefer they go hunting for a foreign marquee hooker or if JOC (James O'Connor) moves on and Lynagh still isn't blooded, a marquee flyhalf to play for a year or two.

IF Nadolo were to come to the Reds you would have to think it would be on the cheap cheap. If he wanted to keep earning decent bucks, I'm sure a Japanese side would pick him up and he would be significantly closer to his family in Australia.

I think they are always aware of leadership in the squad. Kerevi was a god among the Pac players, and it seems LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) holds a similar mantle (did you see Uru speak about him post match last week?).

Nadolo would definitely fill that role for the likes of Petaia, Thomas, Uru, etc etc.

But it would be low on my priorities.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think they are always aware of leadership in the squad. Kerevi was a god among the Pac players, and it seems LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) holds a similar mantle (did you see Uru speak about him post match last week?).

Nadolo would definitely fill that role for the likes of Petaia, Thomas, Uru, etc etc.

But it would be low on my priorities.
Nella seems to be taking on a little of that role now too.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

I question all aus Super Rugby depth - players on full contracts who should really be development. Teenagers with potential. Potential doesnt win, performance does. Need a balance.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I haven’t been overly critical of Cordingly in the past but if he genuinely goes after Nadolo, he’s an idiot.

The bloke will be 35 next year and judging by his social media, spends a fair chunk of the season nursing injuries and missing games. I think he’s a good bloke, I’ve met him a number of times and he’s trained down at my club a bit in the off-season. But if he wants to return to Australia it should be at club level and earn a contract if good enough.

The Reds also have no shortage of good outside backs coming through the ranks - Aubrey and Grealy to name a few who will likely feature more possibly even this season.
I Disagree. Nadalo on the right money would be a great addition. His current form demonstrates he is still more then good enough without needing him to earn it through club rugby. Wouldn’t sign him for more then a 12month contract though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I Disagree. Nadalo on the right money would be a great addition. His current form demonstrates he is still more then good enough without needing him to earn it through club rugby. Wouldn’t sign him for more then a 12month contract though.

Where would he fit? We seem to have a surfeit of wingers. Ditto in the centres. Can he do hooker? Or lock?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Marquee player, can replace Droasese

So wing. Barring a number of simultaneous injuries, I don't see him starting. Isn't that a waste of a marquee? Have to admit his physical stats are impressive.

Droaese is what, 23? Nadolo is 35? Do I have that right? Seems an odd exchange on any number of levels. What am I missing?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
In response to another post above - if the Reds should be putting money towards a decent hooker - then they shouldn't be letting Fainga'a walk away or should be trying to work with RA to get a targeted hooker back (Amosa or Latu).

The current young?/in-experienced Reds hookers need someone to develop off rather than FF (Folau Fainga'a). I cannot see Latu being brought into the squad after his numerous alcohol related car incidents. BPA is chasing the cash and has already committed for a few years to Europe?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I imagine they only get serious about Nadolo if Vunivalu isn't re-signed. At that point he probably comes onto the bench at least sometimes. Would likely give Aubrey and Annan a bit more time to develop. Not a bad option but not an amazing one either. But If the need is specifically for an experienced head in the backline then he fits the bill better than most and won't get in the way of any of the young talent long term.

That said I'd rather see them sign Kye Oates first as an outside back option. He's not in the same league as Nadolo but there's a lot to like about him and I think he'd make an excellent replacement for Droasese.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Speaking as a Tigers fan who has seen every game Tigers have played with Nadolo the past 2 seasons.

He's like a Cargo ship unstoppable running at you but damn is he slow to turn in defence especially on the outside and this is at Premiership
A good example of this recently is here

Now the player who skinned him isn't slow but he's not even the quickest centre.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So wing. Barring a number of simultaneous injuries, I don't see him starting. Isn't that a waste of a marquee? Have to admit his physical stats are impressive.

Droaese is what, 23? Nadolo is 35? Do I have that right? Seems an odd exchange on any number of levels. What am I missing?
Nadalo is an outside back yes, when you said "hooker" i assumed you were taking the piss and didn't respond to that query.

You're missing Droasese... he isn't at the club anymore