• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - RD10 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, but luckily the supporters of all the other sides are balanced and objective.
We're talking about the front page piece - read the comments, there are some pretty silly ones there. It's entertaining reading though.
The cross-section on the forum and front page can be quite different at times.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was quite a game of footie wasn't it?

It was unfortunate that there had to be so many comments about the decisions not to go for penalty kicks or about the referee, because there was a lot else in the game to admire.

Perhaps Horwill should have switched his attitude during the game and maybe somebody more experienced should have been appointed; but they have to develop referees in games like that, I suppose.

Not that he ever would have been appointed, but an experienced chap like Nigel Owens, who is the form ref in European rugby in my opinion, would have made it a different game of rugby altogether.

He knows rugby like that and how to deal with hard-minded men; he certainly wouldn't have put up with the chirping of both teams last night. He would have had some sitting in the bin and it would have stopped.

But I digress - I loved the game and the physicality of the two sets of forwards. I was quite a proud old Aussie rugby tragic watching both teams in NZ last week and last night, and the performance and technique of the players in the collisions.

I have no doubt that a majority of their forwards could be transplanted into a national team and perform in a different structure and with different teammates. That is more important than their names or what Super team they play for.

And, bugger me if I didn't see the Waratahs' forwards playing in the same admirable way on Friday night. They should jot down the names of all those new guys in the pack and give them another run at Loftus next weekend.

Deans must be grinning from ear to ear and I bet there is mention on some of the rugby shows in Europe about how the Aussie teams and their soft forwards are playing at the minute.

I see that nothing is settled on the openside flanker position except that it is likely that George Smith is available to play now. I have been looking for signs of a slackening of endurance and in the frequency of contact that I have seen from famous 30 plus year-old forwards in the past, but I see none of that from George.

He would be my pick for the Lions series because he has proved himself in huge test matches including the Lions series in 2001 during which he was man-of-the-match on his 21st birthday.

With George you know that he can take Super Rugby form not only to test rugby, but also to a higher tier, that of the biggest games of test rugby. We knew Pocock could do that too, but we don't know that about Hooper or Gill if we put our hands on our hearts.

But what do I know? - I would have picked an in-form and fit Pocock too had Smith not been around.

As for who will be better - not for Super Rugby but for a super test series - between Hooper and Gill, I am not that that wise.

I note only that I agree with Cheika's frank comment that Hooper has been carrying some of the Tahs' forwards around on the park - and that sometimes the Wallabies need such a service.

Jeez, I write a lot of crap on Sunday afternoons.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We're talking about the front page piece - read the comments, there are some pretty silly ones there. It's entertaining reading though.
The cross-section on the forum and front page can be quite different at times.
Yeah, I did get that - but that's not really how Richo's post came across (to me anyway). But I'll live - I'm not that precious. And Richo was gracious enough to lump in the supporters of most of the other Australian teams in a later post. Although he apparently finds all of the waratahs supporters both objective and alluring. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, I did get that - but that's not really how Richo's post came across (to me anyway). But I'll live - I'm not that precious. And Richo was gracious enough to lump in the supporters of most of the other Australian teams in a later post. Although he apparently finds all of the waratahs supporters both objective and alluring. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sorry mate, poorly expressed. I wasn't trying to single out Reds fans in general or compared to any other fan base. They were just the ones complaining in the comments. It was meant more as a compliment to the posters here.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry mate, poorly expressed. I wasn't trying to single out Reds fans in general or compared to any other fan base. They were just the ones complaining in the comments. It was meant more as a compliment to the posters here.
No probs. I've had my little dummy spit. All good now.

rookie

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with much of what's been written about the ref setting a firmer standard at the breakdown early on - with possibly an earlier card.

But alongside this, the Red's refusal to take the easy three points meant that the Brumbies had no scoreboard incentive to back off at the breakdown. If the Brums had leaked nine soft points and given up their lead, I reckon the Reds would have seen much cleaner ball throughout the second half. There might have been a recognition by Mowen et al that penalties were costing them the game. Also, the tighter scoreboard might have made both teams more cautious about giving up a decisive penalty.

Outside of that, my view is that giving up easy point when there's time on the clock and not that much in it is very close to hubris. Confidence is a must, but gee wiz how about confidence in your team's ability to get back in those scoring areas again and take points away each time.

I guess there's sometimes a case for taking the lineout in an attempt to throw the knockout punch or blow the game right open. But what the Red's did last night looked more headless than calculating.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both he and Horwill have had their whinge........... the dig at Mogg was rather unnecessary.........

It's time to pack up the toys and move on.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Easily the best game I've seen in a long time, great stuff from both teams. Reds definitely took it to the Brumbies and looked awesome on attack, thankfully they dropped it a few times and some brilliant defence kept the Brumbies in it. If the Reds keep this form going they will be hard to beat. Brumbies very clinical as usual, need to sort out the discipline though as there was far too many penalties. They need to go back to how they played against the Stormers as that was easily the best game the Brumbies have played this season.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We're you happy with your teams tactics, Slim? Or would you rather see both teams allow the game to flow and thus use their attack?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
"That was a fantastic break that Mogg made, normally he just kicks it," McKenzie said. "We put pressure on the kick and he dummied and went, and showed how good a runner he is.
"Maybe we'll see more of that, that would be fantastic for the game."

Yeah what a prick of a thing to say.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No need to act so coy, the subtext is pretty clear in the context of Link's rant.........

"......... normally he just kicks it," McKenzie said.

"Maybe we'll see more of that, that would be fantastic for the game."

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We're you happy with your teams tactics, Slim? Or would you rather see both teams allow the game to flow and thus use their attack?

I'm quite happy that the Brumbies' defence held so strong against the Reds' attacking onslaught.........

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great game, pretty much all a spectator could ask for with intensity, tries, big hits and real emotion. a draw was probably a fair result, although either team would have been a deserving winner in my view. Alot of talk about the differing styles, but that's the beauty of rugby and no one keeps count of moral victories. Both teams probably would have benefited from more variation in the second half.

I was surprised the reds didn't try to stretch the brumbies more during the quarter of the game when the brumbies were a player short.

Status
Not open for further replies.