• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - RD10 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko, there is no comparison - the difference with the Reds v Waratahs match was that in a 20 minute period (51st min to 71st min) the play went in and out of the Reds 22 numerous times and the Reds had possession numerous times.

There was one 5 minute period where the Tahs had the ball continuously and in that time the Reds conceded two scrum penalties, then got a warning. There were plenty of scrum resets but the Reds didn't concede another penalty after the warning until some 10 minutes later for a ruck infringement. There was no yellow card issued that would have required a follow up red.

I wasn't suggesting a similarity with respect to players getting red carded or not and I don't want to revisit two years ago, I am trying to forget it. I was referring to the overall vibe of one team defending grimly for long periods inside their 22, one team hard on attack, lots of controversial rulings and a weak and relatively novice referee although Jackson has had much more experience than Smith.

That day it was absolutely great to be a Reds fan and really awful to be a Tahs fan. Saturday it sucked to be a Reds fan though at least it was a draw and not a loss. My last paragraph was trying to subtly suggest that we need to accept that it can't change and fans need to look forward to next week. Trust me though, I know you will still wake up at 4am in two years time reliving the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty, what you propose requires a change to the laws - if they are changed, fine, implement the new laws.

But whilst there is an upgrade clause for the team card after a yellow to be a red, just as there is for an individual, then they should implement the laws and the guidelines that exists today.

Just read your article. Feel vindicated.

Wouldn't rugby be a better game if these laws were actually enforced? The only provisor would be that the referee would need to be certain of the infringement before pulling that red.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rassie - Good post albeit I don't understand all of the points you're trying to make.

In terms of your last point about Cooper kicking alot and his teammates making lots of tackles (at least Ed Quirk) and none of the Reds featuring on the lineout list, I'd probably say that they've had Horwill out for the first part of the season and AWH fell out of favour so they've used four locks all quite a lot. They also use Liam Gill as a lineout target which is unusual so I'd say that they haven't really had a go-to lineout guy this season.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. BTW, I think that the words 'cynical play' have been done to death both on the forum and on the blogs. Desperate play yes, cynical..not so much.

Cynical = breaking the law on purpose.

There was a bit of that going on. George Smith was a prime example.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
St George and Sir Richie could play a game of invisible rugby against each other. :rolleyes:
I only just realised this. No wonder George Smith didn't get penalised as much as he should've on Sat night. It was subliminal messages that the Reds were sending the ref all night. Saint George. St George. Right there in the middle of our bloody jerseys! ;)
Reds_Jersey_4ff3c530ca214.jpg

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Laurie Fisher says the Reds #MaulPickMaulPick and he enjoyed Mckenzie's presentation to the IRFU, but doesn't comment on the ball movement outwide and the botched tries in the corner, the actual tries in the corner and general passing game of the Reds.

Laurie was unavailable for further comment due to his commitments to the NZRU in running a special training camp ahead of this years Bledisloe Cup (apparently around goal line defense) with Richie McCaw, Kieran Read and the rest of the All Blacks forward pack...

Interesting, I wonder what Laurie could be teaching them.

Perhaps he could be the next All Blacks coach when they choke in 2015

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I second that Lindo. Once again not all of them but the times I have watched the Reds in Canberra there have been some total arseholes in the crowd. I was lucky in that we won and not unexpected they went into a cowardly silence.

I have seen some dickhead Reds fans at Suncorp also. The bloke behind us on Saturday night who couldn't let a sentence out with the F word despite women and children present. In 2011 some dirty bastard threw food at my brother who is a Brumbies fan at full time after Giteau slotted that penalty on full time. I don't consider myself a violent man but I wanted to knock his block off for that.

I have seen some unpleasant behaviour from fans at Allianz/Stadium Australia/whateveritiscalledthismonth (once Tah fans on Tah fans, what the hell guys!) and Suncorp. Thankfully, it's been in the minority of times I have been to games. I hope it stays that way.

I think that you get the dickhead element everywhere and I feel bad for those who get subjected to it on their first visit (or any visit really). I think it's unfair to label fans of any team by the behaviour of the few, and hopefully no fans in Aus have a reputation for unbecoming behaviour.

Only been to Bruce stadium once, and had no issues. I think everyone was too cold to get fired up at anyone!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To me the ref performance, sure, wasn't great, but it's more of a subplot to the game than the defining story. The game itself was one of the best games this year, and what's more, it was an Australian derby that is usually known for it being a dour, boring, horrible affair with little skill on show. I think that's the biggest story, as opposed to the ref.

For what it's worth, I rate Glen Jackson, and hope he learns from his mistakes in this game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty sure Drew Mitchell got Red carded a little while back in a Bledisloe I think it was, for something like this.
Remember Nonu getting red carded for ABs a few years back for same kind of thing, had been YC for a tackle,then YC forrepeat infringment or something that turned into a red.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree with fan thing, I think you tend at times to notice fans having a go at your own team a lot more than ones booing opposition. Also you can have a few loud ones around yourself that can make it seem whole crowd are a bit rough. I did notice where I sat at Suncorp there was a hell of a lot of (to me) uninformed screaming at players and ref on Saturday, and I was sitting down in the more expensive members seats very close to sideline on halfway. Thought the booing of refs at fulltime had a quite threatening sound to it. Though I did think Steve Walsh laughing at the booers a good response.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Laurie Fisher says the Reds #MaulPickMaulPick and he enjoyed Mckenzie's presentation to the IRFU, but doesn't comment on the ball movement outwide and the botched tries in the corner, the actual tries in the corner and general passing game of the Reds.

Laurie was unavailable for further comment due to his commitments to the NZRU in running a special training camp ahead of this years Bledisloe Cup (apparently around goal line defense) with Richie McCaw, Kieran Read and the rest of the All Blacks forward pack.

Interesting, I wonder what Laurie could be teaching them.

Perhaps he could be the next All Blacks coach when they choke in 2015
I thought I was going to laugh but then I realised what you said wasn't funny.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

That article is a shocker! :confused: Talk about horrible journalism!

Smith being held onto: This is something that happens in every game and George himself did it a few times that I noticed to Gill. This went unpenalised.

Palmer getting stomped: Utter rubbish. Anyone that puts themselves (emphasis on the word 'put') under a driving maul, does so knowing what will likely happen. To even infer that Horwill intended to make contact with his head is ludicrous!

Mowen's offside: So you got a still from a skewed angle and drew a line on it and this is conclusive proof that he was not offside? Wow. Just wow.

Inconsistencies with Failing to roll away penalties: This is part and parcel of the game. Sometimes they get blown up, sometimes they don't. I'm sure I can find examples of Brumbies not rolling away without being penalised as I could for the Reds.

Man - I expect that sort of stuff from the Courier Mail - I didn't know they had a sister paper in Canberra!!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That article is a shocker! :confused: Talk about horrible journalism!

Smith being held onto: This is something that happens in every game and George himself did it a few times that I noticed to Gill. This went unpenalised.

Palmer getting stomped: Utter rubbish. Anyone that puts themselves (emphasis on the word 'put') under a driving maul, does so knowing what will likely happen. To even infer that Horwill intended to make contact with his head is ludicrous!

Mowen's offside: So you got a still from a skewed angle and drew a line on it and this is conclusive proof that he was not offside? Wow. Just wow.

Inconsistencies with Failing to roll away penalties: This is part and parcel of the game. Sometimes they get blown up, sometimes they don't. I'm sure I can find examples of Brumbies not rolling away without being penalised as I could for the Reds.

Man - I expect that sort of stuff from the Courier Mail - I didn't know they had a sister paper in Canberra!!!

I thought is was a nice piece of satire

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I rewatched the game last night (I was bored).

Goerge Smith is gotta be the luckiest player on planet earth not to get sent off. at the 65th minute mark. Smith's ability to avoid the wrath of the referee (ala McCaw) is something that we want for the Lions tour.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I thought I was going to laugh but then I realised what you said wasn't funny.

Ball not man please

Goerge Smith is gotta be the luckiest player on planet earth not to get sent off. at the 65th minute mark. Smith's ability to avoid the wrath of the referee (ala McCaw) is something that we want for the Lions tour.

Thought this too, Smith played the referee very well. All that experience at pushing the boundaries as hard as you can without breaking them is brilliant.

To me the ref performance, sure, wasn't great, but it's more of a subplot to the game than the defining story. The game itself was one of the best games this year, and what's more, it was an Australian derby that is usually known for it being a dour, boring, horrible affair with little skill on show. I think that's the biggest story, as opposed to the ref.

For what it's worth, I rate Glen Jackson, and hope he learns from his mistakes in this game.

Absolutely, I think Jackson is fantastic and he was brilliant at his control of the FLOW of the game. The flow of the game was fantastic and that was to his credit.

I think its a great place to get experience for the big stage and perhaps in hindsight he will be more trigger happy with yellow cards. Other than that he got nothing wrong. More of that kind of reffing please. His non pedantic approach is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.