• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies - RD10 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What do the neutrals think about the refereeing? Brumbies fans think the were hard done by, Reds fans (including me) point to all the times they were penalised or advantage was played within 10m of their goal line and wonder how they didn't receive another yellow in the last 15.

Was it fair reffing? We're some of the Brumbies indiscretions as blatant as the seemed at the ground and deserved further sanction?

The Brumbies were very lucky to not have players in the bin earlier and ehould have had two in the bin during that period of assualt on their line.

Other than that the ref was poor but did not favour one team over the other in particular. Got some scrum penalties against the Brums wrong, and got some breakdown pans wrong both ways.

Reds fans should just cop it that poor decision making cost them this game. Not the ref.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nonewithstanding my thoughts on the incredible latitude given the Brumbies when they were racking up penalty after penalty on their try line, I think this game firmly decided one thing: choose Jake White as Wallabies coach over McKenzie and prepare for plenty of casual rugby fans to walk away.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds could only blame themselves for not taking the points that was on offer. If they did they would have won.

12 man rolling maul is part of rugby and its one of the great sights in it. Especially watching it steamroll all before it. I don't see how it can be negative as its better than to go run into a brick wall or play it wide going sideways

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Nonewithstanding my thoughts on the incredible latitude given the Brumbies when they were racking up penalty after penalty on their try line, I think this game firmly decided one thing: choose Jake White as Wallabies coach over McKenzie and prepare for plenty of casual rugby fans to walk away.
Why would they choose White considering he is very good at introducing new talent for Australia to choose from. Why take that away.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ref was terrible IMO
Davies good, Genia OK - 2 big mistakes were costly (dropped ball and kicking out on full)
Reds had the moral victory but points equally shared - 3 tries to 1
Gilly v George - the Master won - shit he is composed
Slipper, Moore and Alexander were great, high workloads etc etc, Holmes and Palmer were both off the pace.
fatal error for Reds was Horwill not taking penalty in front. Wondered if that was Links gameplan to keep pressure on
or Kevie just making a "on-the-spot" decision.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What do the neutrals think about the refereeing? Brumbies fans think the were hard done by, Reds fans (including me) point to all the times they were penalised or advantage was played within 10m of their goal line and wonder how they didn't receive another yellow in the last 15.

Was it fair reffing? We're some of the Brumbies indiscretions as blatant as the seemed at the ground and deserved further sanction?

I thought the Reds were just dumb, probably the most dumb they have been in years.

They had the opportunity to chip away at the scoreboard and continually went for the hero option, I even now have concerns about Horwill's captaincy.

They reminded me of the Tahs vs Reds when the Tahs tried to scrummage them into the ground, and didn't and lost.

More yellows, maybe, but take the points lads, accumulate and win the game. Playing for yellows rarely wins games, scoring points generally does.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I really despise the 12 man rolling maul. If that is not negative rugby, I do not know what is. Pot. Kettle. Black, Link.

You must have been a back.

Nothing wrong with doing it if it's a strength & scores tries. Not good if it's the only trick in the bag but a worthy trick for any teams books.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
At one of those mauls I thought the centres should not have been allowed to join as the last foot had not left the line of touch

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think the Reds made the mistake of thinking they could manage the ref into doing what hey wanted. First link wrote that article saying the Brumbies give lots of penalties, then Horwill turned down kick able points close to the line.

By the 70 minute mark it had become abundantly clear that Jackson was not going to yellow card the Brumbies off the park but it was too late to start kicking the penalties by then.

I wonder if Jackson was less inclined to get tough on the Brumbies because it woul look like he was caving into links pressure. Either way, I think they picked the wrong ref to try and influence as Scott's article shows he gives the least amount of penalties, which is precisely why Horwill should have kicked the points at every opportunity.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Age doesn't equal experience. How many Reds players have Wallabies caps and have won a S15 final?

True, but lack of experience won't be the determining factor in the Brumbies season. They have plenty with the likes of Mowen, Smith, Alexander and Moore.

Experience got them that draw, despite being generally outplayed and mostly under pressure. Experience in their forwards repelled the Reds on the line, although it is easily argued that some of those experienced players should have been having a rest.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Spot the sour fan - the Reds get away with just as much and got some seriously lucky breaks. A couple of years back the Brumbies score 4 tries to 1 (or was it 2) and lost a game due to plenty of transgressions by the Reds. I believe the Reds won the comp that year.

That isn't the way I remember that game, and what you say doesn't make any sense. The reds had so many opportunities to kick for goal in that game because every time they got inside the brumbies half the brumbies gave a penalty away. Reds would have scored more tries had the brumbies not been so cynical.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Nothing wrong with doing it if it's a strength & scores tries. Not good if it's the only trick in the bag but a worthy trick for any teams books.

true, but if it hasn't worked 8 times, why do it for the 9th?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I really despise the 12 man rolling maul. If that is not negative rugby, I do not know what is. Pot. Kettle. Black, Link.

Is that cause you can score a negative try ie 5 points gets taken off? The all in rolling maul is part of the Reds identity. Whilst this year we are seeing it prominent again, I can remember going to Ballymore and watching the Reds roll over many a try in the late 80's and 90's.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Imagine the referee did not award any penalties to the Reds for Brumbies transgressions close to the try line. If you can do that then you just placed yourself in the Shoes of the average South African rugby fan during the 2011 World cup quarter final game....

slydare

Frank Nicholson (4)
I see Paul Cully has come out on twitter saying that it's not fair to call the Brums play cynical, with Laurie Fisher quick to chime in as well. If only there were a legal way to defend against the rolling maul...

I wonder how it will be handled if the Wallabies try to pull that stunt against the Lions?

That being said, I enjoyed the game and it is great to see Australian sides playing so well, looking dangerous in attack and some hard edged forward play. The ref was poor but it was definitely dumb to not take the points on offer, at least some of the time. It was pretty clear early on that the ref wasn't going to do enough to stop the Brum's cynical infringements.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

You don't think there is a difference between cynical infringements and doing something within the laws of the game? :confused:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Nup. I was a forward, and my wife and I are Reds supporters - amongst other rugby affliliations.

However, my point stands. Link criticises White for negative play. Does he think a rolling maul is particularly positive? To me, it looks like the game must have looked in the early days, before rules were developed. You know, our village against yours, hundreds on each side.

Australian rugby is known for open, running, enterprising play. That is what we are better at than most of our opponents, and that is what I want to see us do at the provincial level.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You don't think there is a difference between cynical infringements and doing something within the laws of the game? :confused:

Which is more cynical, I ask myself? A twelve man maul, or slowing down the ball? They are both a blight on the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Imagine the referee did not award any penalties to the Reds for Brumbies transgressions close to the try line. If you can do that then you just placed yourself in the Shoes of the average South African rugby fan during the 2011 World cup quarter final game..
Or French fans in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.