• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Brumbies Rnd 16 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I actually think he has one of the best passes since QC (Quade Cooper) was in his prime, he can tackle, he can kick. I think he will be a great 10 when QC (Quade Cooper) eventually leaves.

Perese is an exciting prospect, skills to backup his self belief, I am just worried that his obvious natural skills will be nullified by not having exposure to good coaching, he could be anything in a few years with the right guidance

In some senses, QC (Quade Cooper) has left already. There he's been, training as back-up Wallaby 10 no less, and he puts in a performance as mistake-ridden and generally flawed as he did last night vs a very average Brumbies performance.

Oh well.

But the bigger point you rightly touch on lb is when the QRU will come to its senses, gain some genuine strategic self-confidence, and drop its loser mindset policy of desperately recruiting old stars and stagers in a vain bid to either recreate past glories long gone or believing that these types of players will get them into a way better place despite going in exactly the opposite direction - gross inexperience and/or zero track records - with their coaching selection policies.

None of it adds up, it's all doomed to failure.

What needs to happen is a fast return to (a) the best of the early Mooney phase of 2008-9, namely find the superior young talent in QLD or elsewhere and (b) put them under a coaching regime of near Link-and-co-quality (recruited from anywhere in the world vs the 'our QLD-er rugby brethren' madness that's rapidly destroying the code in this State), and accelerate their development into a fighting fit team that grows fast (as did 2010-11's), plays fast in the ensemble, and, through the talents of the players and the right coaches, can win more games than they will lose.

The old stagers and faded stars just postpone the inevitable. But the selection and contracting ineptitude originates from a QRU that really has no idea any more how to build a successful Reds team.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Talking of old stagers, I wonder if there is any hope of the Brumbies replacing Mann Rea and Abel in the hooker spot next year. Mann Rea does some good things but doesn't seem to use his intelligence when the game gets underway. How many times does he get caught with the ball at the back of a maul which then leads to turnover to the opposition? Last night, on one occasion the halfback was desperately trying to relieve him of the ball but to no avail. Happens much too often.

K

KAOPointman

A lot off negative talk about this game! Yes it was a bit of a messy stop start again at times....but both teams tried to play dry fast rugby as it was kinda a dead rubber......everyone forgets.......there was a lot of young players, a lot of injuries leaving players out of position, it was wet and as foggy as I've ever seen.
I watched the game reminding myself of these things and it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the fair weather fans say. I enjoyed most of the game actually. A good game for Simmo, Thor, DP and Pareese. Quade had a good nite with the boot and a good passing game aswell.....although pretty mixed results with how often he found himself under pressure mopping up. Just watched the Tahs game....and our other "premier" 10 Foley, had the same mixed game....but it was dry!
Some of the Bumboes injuries really suck heading to finals footy.....
Good to get another reds win at least! ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He won Reds Man of the Match which might have been a sentimental vote but he was very good. A couple of ropey things in the 3rd quarter I think, but it's the best I've seen him play for a while.

I thought Simmo was unleashed by being able to play a little wider. Yes I'd prefer a lock with mongrel through the middle as well as line out skills. But Simmo at 6, for a one-off, was a very interesting experience.

He continued to dominate the line out, often getting his hand on the ball on opposition throws and generally confusing the Brumbies with the extra seriously primary jumper.

Simmo has always had an excellent work rate - it's just we often don't notice as in tight he rarely has big impact. It comes out in the stats later. Slotting in the wider flanker slot he was much more noticeable.

I couldn't work out what was going on in the scrums. Sometimes Simmo packed at 8, sometimes Korzcyk did.

It is an intriguing option going forward. An "inverse Itoje". Drop him in at 6 or 8, knowing that he will be most comfortable in the second row. Let him reek havoc in the line outs - up front at the second slot. In a 1-3-3-1 defence put him in that second pod; or more likely with the locks in the first pod but on the wide side of that pod.

One swallow does not make a summer, but it is worth thinking about. Wherever he goes, thanks Simmo for fabulous memories.

Respect.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Computer\Mick Taylor (Galaxy S5)\Phone\DCIM\Facebook
A few notes from the game.
  • Pre match was a disgrace. Some serious cultural training needs to be had at the QRU. When a welcome to country ceremony takes place, you stop everything, pay respect as a show of acceptance onto country. It isn't tokenism but a serious cultural event. Having it as pre game entertainment and not just before kick off was just stupid.
  • That fog was very strange. Maybe a result of disrespecting the TO's welcome to country. Who knows?
  • My 3 year old Nephews first Reds game and George Smith is clearly his favorite player. 'Go Reds' and 'go George' were his chants for the night. Except for when George was carded and sent to the naughty corner. 'Naughty George' was the chant.
  • Pissed off to find Hahn 3.5 being served. Bring back XXXX Gold please.
  • The send off for Simmo was nauseating. He isn't retiring and he isn't leaving on his own choosing. Reds let him go so they should simply cut the bullshit. It was a pathetic show of self indulgence by the Reds and nothing more. I felt sorry for Simmo and if in his shoes would be dry reaching.
  • Simmo had a bloody blinder. We will regret cutting him loose and a big up yours to the clowns that made the decision to do so.
  • Good to see the Reds show the composure to close out a tight one.

K

KAOPointman

Computer\Mick Taylor (Galaxy S5)\Phone\DCIM\Facebook
A few notes from the game.
  • Pre match was a disgrace. Some serious cultural training needs to be had at the QRU. When a welcome to country ceremony takes place, you stop everything, pay respect as a show of acceptance onto country. It isn't tokenism but a serious cultural event. Having it as pre game entertainment and not just before kick off was just stupid.
  • That fog was very strange. Maybe a result of disrespecting the TO's welcome to country. Who knows?
  • My 3 year old Nephews first Reds game and George Smith is clearly his favorite player. 'Go Reds' and 'go George' were his chants for the night. Except for when George was carded and sent to the naughty corner. 'Naughty George' was the chant.
  • Pissed off to find Hahn 3.5 being served. Bring back XXXX Gold please.
  • The send off for Simmo was nauseating. He isn't retiring and he isn't leaving on his own choosing. Reds let him go so they should simply cut the bullshit. It was a pathetic show of self indulgence by the Reds and nothing more. I felt sorry for Simmo and if in his shoes would be dry reaching.
  • Simmo had a bloody blinder. We will regret cutting him loose and a big up yours to the clowns that made the decision to do so.
  • Good to see the Reds show the composure to close out a tight one.
What exactly was a disgrace about the prematch? They don't show much on tv....

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
They had a welcome to country ceremony with some traditional dances. It ran concurrent with the teams warming up. Wasn't culturally appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom