• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Late try to Hynes to finish the game at 33 - 20. Hynes saves my margin.

Funnily enough, Reds end up with better stats than the Bulls other then turnovers.

Geez, Bulls deserve their win, but Jonker gave them a bit of a free ride - he missed a lot. Du Preez was offisde and seemed to touch that ball, the yellow card was a joke as it wasn't a shoulder, and Kirchner twice interfered with the guy in the air without even looking at the ball. The final try was after a high tackle that looked like it wasn't there, just like an earlier one called on Humphries, yet Du Preez sticks a hand in a guy's face, they both stop and wait for a penalty to be blown, and nothing happens. McLinden also took out Habana in a carbon copy replay of the first Kirchner incident.

Neutral refs are a complete disaster. Every game with a ref with a team from the same country as the ref that team got the rub of the green (Brumbies, Blues, Bulls). I don't think any refs are cheats or would favour anyone on pirpose, but it adds an element that simply shouldn't be there.

That being said the Reds were their own worst enemies. In the second half the Bulls counter rucked so many times. The Reds simply didn't protect their ball and lost it. Bulls went much harder at the rucks and got the turnovers. Reds scrum went OK against the more fancied Bulls apart from when Byrnes was binned, but the Bulls were the better in set peices. Reds struggled to take kick offs as well and pretty much gave all the shallow ones right back to the Bulls.

Really, the Reds lacked composure, structure or much of anything. It was epsecially noticable that on most half arms they stood around and stared at each other like idiots.

The Reds dropped lots of ball and generally had very poor execution. I stand by my belief that Fetoai isn't up to this level. Va'aulu was very average. Lucas had a bad game. Cooper was over the shop and had a mixed bag. Braid largely innefective. Houston was probably my pick of the Reds forwards, Ioane of the backs. Genia looked sharper than Lucas and had a nice Gregan like flick pass for Ioane to beat several men to score his try, but Genia also made his share of errors.

The Reds desperately need Turinuri back. Their backs looked toothless apart from a few individual runs from Hynes, Ioane and McLinden.

All in all, the Bulls were the better team and the Reds never really looked like winning in a game that lacked much of anything unless you were a Bulls fan or Reds fan. Not recommended to anyone else. Unfortunately I'd say this was the lowest quality match I've seen (I didn't see the Lions-Cheetahs game, but the highlights looked better than the highlights from this game). Both of these teams look like that they will finish in the lower half of the table.

Same old same old from the Bulls. When are they going to get a 10/12/13 who can distribute or show some flair? Olivier is that pick of that bunch, but lacks distribution skills. The Bulls will struggle to score tries against better teams than the Reds simply because they can't create them. They have a very good pack of forwards who can recycle the ball, counter ruck and compete well but they didn't get over the gain line enough. The Bulls still largely have a kick and chase game plan, which is a large waste of Habana who seems to spend most of his time blistering down on deep bombs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep Ash fair summary. The key was the rucks were we didn't value possession enough.

Ione, Genia, and Higginbottham and Houston were the better performed players.

Hynes was solid at the back, kicking wasn't a strong suit. Va'aulu and Fetoai rather innocuous. Barnes tried hard but seemed to suffer due to Cooper's decision to not play in the first half.

Lucas was poor and deserved to be replaced. I thought the locks were both very good, but you could see Byrnes starting to lose it. I'd debate whether he needed to be binned as well, but it was a bit of a turning point. It wore the boys out.

Scrum was actually pretty good I thought, so well done pack and Holmes and Edwards.

Saia Fainga'a. VERY VERY POOR. Just about everything he touched turned to shit, except for one good chase which was supported by Leroy.

Sustaining pressure will once again be our key. We can't afford to have a good play and then totally switch off and let the opposition hit back straight away.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
gotta say I thought Weekes looked good from the bench. Scrum was still strong and he was physcial and mobile around the park.

T

TOCC

thanks for the updates, i missed the match unfortunately(valentines day ;))

anyway sounds like a dissapointing match, im not overly disheartened about the score though, it sounded like a lot of it was handling mistakes which will hopefully diminish within the next week or two.

Digby looked good from the highlights, Hynes seemed to make a massive tackle on someone as well.

Im happy Higgingbotham went well, i have been singing his praises after watching his form in pre-season.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm obviously disappointed at the final result but it was the opening game and played in SA to boot. Couldn't understand the reffing at some points and agree with Ashes comments.

Spies was enormous for the Bulls and a couple of their outside backs were very handy with some good straight running.

Looking at the positives for the Reds, Ioane was superb(is there a better broken field runner than him at the moment?), Houston looks a lot fitter and played the house down, Higginbottom impressed, and Genia looked very sharp when he came on. I also thought McLinden showed a bit in his first S14 game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start next week. Hynes looked far more comfortable when he went to the wing.

The Reds looked fitter and defended very well for sustained periods, but still look light on in attack. Barnes needs more games and Turinui might make a difference when he returns. And Cooper will be better for the run.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If Pies and McLindon start next week I think the Backs will look a lot more Balanced. Higgenbotham was on fire and Houston was pretty good too. I couldn't see what Byrnes did wrong I've seen exactly the same thing 100 times or more in the last couple of years.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sully said:
If Pies and McLindon start next week I think the Backs will look a lot more Balanced. Higgenbotham was on fire and Houston was pretty good too. I couldn't see what Byrnes did wrong I've seen exactly the same thing 100 times or more in the last couple of years.

I can see why it was penalised but Bakkies seems to do it with impunity...

Houston impressed a lot, I remember a great chase and covering tackle before he quickly got to his feet and compete for the ball, very slick for big boy like him.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Should've mentioned that my highlight of the match were the Bulls cheer girls. Damn good highlight they were, too.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Grandmaster Flash said:
Sully said:

I can see why it was penalised but Bakkies seems to do it with impunity...

Houston impressed a lot, I remember a great chase and covering tackle before he quickly got to his feet and compete for the ball, very slick for big boy like him.

bynes has a massive rep for having terrible discipline. the ref must of caught wind of this and watched him extra keenly.
once a big man gets a bad rap he is free game for the refs.

thats the reason that the whole "fire and brimstone" tight-5ers are dying out in our hemisphere.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Barnes, Lucas & Quade didn't really fire & if we are going to win matches those 3 must be on thier game, Ioane was superb as was Higgingbotham in the tight & running out wide.

A few positives was the amount of breaks we made with very lttle front foot possesion, we seem to have some very elusive players in the backline & I'd expect Mooney to start with McLinden next week after the extra spark he added in attack.

Hopefully we'll get MMM & Turiniri back next week.

F

formeropenside

I dont know that Turinui would have helped the attack; the problem was Cooper, not the outside backs.

I'd put McLinden on one wing, in place of Brando, who really did not do a lot wrong.

Scrum was Ok, Weeks looks good. Lineout OK against the Bulls; although we lost too much ball.

Hardman's hit on Matfield was...wait for it...legendary. S. Fainga'a was pants.

Needed more grunt at rucktime.

Byrnes should not have been binned. Ref said used a shoulder but on the replay there were arms. Was just a great hit in a ruck.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd boot Va'aulu and Fetoai right out of the 22 and bring in McLinden and Turinuri to the starting side, and Connor to the bench.

Don't know if I'd start McLinden or Hynes at fullback though.

I'd be tempted to keep persisting with Lucas too with Genia on at 50 minutes. Genia was good but he had that screw up turned over the ball for the Bulls' third try. For some I still rate Lucas more than Genia despite Genia's great form and Lucas' average form. Genia I think offers more as an impact player off the bench.

Don't think there's not much they can do with the forward pack. Luafutu was disappointing and made less of an impact than Braid.

Mostly the Reds lacked direction from the 10/12. Agree with Cooper needing to turn up to play.

The Reds won't win next week against the Stormers but they will need to grow their confidence for the week 3 match against the Cheetahs at home, which they need to win.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well MMM won't be back so we can expect the same forward pack, so the backline I would like to see against the Stormers is.
15. McLinden
14. Ioane
13.Morgan T
12.Barnes
11.Hynes
10. Cooper
9.Lucas

I'll stick with Lucas also as Barnes & Cooper also had an off day so hopefully they can redeem themselves.
Fingers crossed that Jean De Villiers is out as the Stormers didn't look half as organised when he went off against the Sharks.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We can talk about who played well and who were crap to the cows come home but if we do we miss a few home truths.

- The Reds were too soft in the physical contests.
It is all very well to have some nice looking offloads and backline moves, and beating folks by using the ball better than they can, but you have to create more occasions when that can happen. You have to get quality ball like the Tahs did in the first half of their game.

Too many times the Reds were knocked off the pill, or if they weren't, the scrummie was in danger of bodily harm as he tried to pick it up. Often several of the Bulls arrived in a bunch at the contests against Reds arriving one by one and you could see the ruck shudder and move back as they did. Sometimes they were bound at the hit. Because of their momentum and not enough resistance, they often went off feet to end up on top of the tackled Reds player. Thus ball was slowed down and sometimes even turned over.

- The Reds were too late to the physical contests.
That was part of the above problem: when the first guy is late or the 2nd and 3rd guys are late, your chance of getting quick clean ball is about as close to zero as you can get. It's like losing the hit on your own scrum ball: first you have to stop the momentum of the bad guys then you have to deal with a bad situation when the ball comes out.

- Poor kicking game and kick-chase.

If you can't get a long kick into touch or get the opposing fullback out of position, you have to have chasers to hassle the receiver of the kick to reduce the benefit to him of acquiring the ball. If you can't, it comes down to a pissing contest and you are not going to win a lot of pissing contests against SAffer kickers on the high veld. Mind you, the Tahs had the same problem against Kiwis at sea-level.

- Lack of care.
Too many points were sacrificed because of careless action or careless inactivity, and a yellow card was suffered because of the careless act of a known hot-head. A part of this carelessness was due to the inexperience of some players. Improvement in taking care won't come overnight, but it has to be worked on.

- Brown cowism.

Again, because some of the players were inexperienced, there was a certain herd "what do I have to do in this unexpected situation" doubt. Sometimes you see this when players haven't played a lot with other players, and of the 4 Oz Super teams the Reds were always going to have this problem the most at the start of the tournament. The key to their season is improving this situation, because it's one that happens most later in a game when players are tired, and the big chips go into the pot.

Don't get me wrong: there was some wonderful Oz rugby and the scrummaging was good and would have been better had the Bulls not been allowed to wheel before the ball was in. A lot of good things were seen from some fine players but the problems in team play were more evident in my eyes.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
disco said:
Fingers crossed that Jean De Villiers is out as the Stormers didn't look half as organised when he went off against the Sharks.
He will play against the Reds on friday according to the latest report on our sunday rugby show All Out Rugby. To be honest I wont have sleepless nights even without him against the Reds backline play bar the big winger. Sereli will also be back for this one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
spectator said:
The Reds looked fitter and defended very well for sustained periods, but still look light on in attack. Barnes needs more games and Turinui might make a difference when he returns. And Cooper will be better for the run.

fitter, but not fit enough

The Reds chase was poor and their cleanout unorganised

I thought Digby was excellent, as was McLinden and Genia.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I thought the Reds looked dangerous at points, and that the return of Horwill or MMM will improve them even further. I'm certainly not as confident of a Tahs' victory this year as in the last three.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Missed this weeks Bulls game but it seems to put the Reds performance against them in a much better light.

Status
Not open for further replies.