• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Chiefs Round 7 Super 14 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
A few scrum sessions shown on fox sports news showed Higgenbotham packing in at #8 so most likely Houston to be dragged.

Ezra Taylor was pretty poor last week anyway the unlucky bloke was Byrne the Tahs should have kept him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This is going to be one hell of a game. The Reds need to play like they did against the Sharks. Anything other then that will leave them in tatters.

T

TOCC

disco said:
A few scrum sessions shown on fox sports news showed Higgenbotham packing in at #8 so most likely Houston to be dragged.

Ezra Taylor was pretty poor last week anyway the unlucky bloke was Byrne the Tahs should have kept him.
why would Houston be dragged, the team list has already been released

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
disco said:

why would Houston be dragged, the team list has already been released

I think disco meant that Houston would get yanked at th 50 min mark and the Higg would replace him. Horwill might go at 40-60 mins and MMM to lock, with Luafutu getting some rare game time at 6.

I will say its a good lineout with Higg, MMM, Horwill and Van all on the field at the same time.

T

TOCC

this image shows how much taller Humphries is in comparison to the rest of the locks
, the hill must be on a slant though, it appears as thought Houston is taller then Horwill
IMG_3477.jpg

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Spotted Horwill walking around the sideline during the Sharks game. He looked to be in top condition. He really is massive.

Without doubt Houston will not last the game and Higgers will go to 8. However we will be in a bit of bother if someone like Van gets injured early (it is very difficult to carry into a game two starting back 5 forwards that most likely can not finish it).

Tasi is probably a good option at 6 later in the game against the chiefs. With him, Higgs and MMM it will be a very mobile pack.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and Peter Hynes is out, possibly for a couple of matches.

No announcement as to his replacement, but Davies is on the bench. Makes an inexperienced back three against probably the form back 3 (and freakyish) of the moment. Other options are Diggers back there, with Fetoai to centre. I'd through in Davies though.

Va'aulu is apparently back from injury.......so he should just play club.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gee, I don't like either option of Fetoai or Va'aulu. But I think that Mooney sort of showed his hand by not giving Davies a run last week.

What happened to Hynes?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QR Reds wing Rod Davies will make his debut for Queensland against the Chiefs in Saturday's Investec Super 14 match at Suncorp Stadium after Peter Hynes' late withdrawal with a knee injury.

The Wallaby wing pulled up early at Reds' training last night and will undergo an arthroscopy on his knee to determine the extent of the problem.

Head Coach Phil Mooney said Hynes? injury appears to be a bone fragment that can be quickly removed, allowing Hynes to return to action within 7-10 days.

"It's a great opportunity for Rod and we'll be looking to him to bring the same energy and enthusiasm to the side that other young players have done when given the chance to step up," Mooney said.

"We look forward to Rod making a real contribution to our performance against the Chiefs on Saturday night."

Davies' place on the bench will be taken by centre Charlie Fetoai.

Davies joined the Reds this year following a two year stint with the Brisbane Broncos after leaving school. The Rockhampton product was an Australian Schools Rugby representative, playing in the same backline as Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale in 2006.

The Reds? team is (from fullback): Mark McLinden, Blair Connor, Digby Ioane, Berrick Barnes, Rod Davies, Quade Cooper, Ben Lucas, Leroy Houston, Daniel Braid, Hugh McMeniman, James Horwill (c), Van Humphries, Laurie Weeks, Sean Hardman, Ben Daley. Reserves: Saia Fainga'a, Jack Kennedy, Scott Higginbotham, Poutasi Luafutu, Brendan McKibbin, Anthony Fainga'a, Charlie Fetoai

The curtain raiser match on Saturday night is Downlands College v St Laurence?s, kicking off at 5pm.

Tickets to the match are available now from Ticketek.com.au at pre-match day prices.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If I were Mooney, I would tell Houston to man mark Lauki and make sure every time he gets the ball, he is hit and hit hard. If Lauki has a big game, the chiefs will be difficult to stop. If Houston can complete this mission (as well as giving good go forward with ball in hand) it will be an important step for him.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It might be better to have Higgers do this sort of job to free up Houston in attack. Him and Digby are our best line breakers.

T

TOCC

its a devastaing blow to lose hynes, he was in fanatastic form, thankfully its only for a week or two...
shame it couldnt have happened prior to the bye though :(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:
It might be better to have Higgers do this sort of job to free up Houston in attack. Him and Digby are our best line breakers.

agreed, despite Higgers not playing. Hugh MMM is probably the man. Just keep Sione quiet, and pester Braid to get under his skin. Then of course watch out for Messem...and then the backs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QUEENSLAND have granted Daniel Braid a two-week deadline extension as they aim to convince the former All Black to remain a Red with their first back-to-back wins in three years.
The Reds face the Waikato-based Chiefs in what shapes as the Super 14 match of the round at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night when Braid goes head-to-head with friend and NZ Maori teammate Tanerau Latimer.

Braid, like fellow open-side flanker Latimer for the Chiefs, has been a relatively unsung hero for the young and improving entertainers after signing as their marquee import on a two-year deal with an option in his favour after one.

The Queensland Rugby Union were always of the understanding Braid would look to take up a bigger offer in the northern hemisphere in late 2009.

But the Auckland product has indicated he's seriously considering staying at Ballymore in 2010 despite strong interest from clubs in Europe.

To help Braid to make the right decision, the QRU has extended the deadline to activate his get-out option from the end of March by another fortnight.

"We'd be mad if we didn't give him a little bit more time," said QRU high-performance manager Ben Whitaker.

"We went into (the deal) knowing he'd be sought after and it's good to know that he wants a little bit more time because it shows he's definitely looking at staying.

"He's enjoying the challenge and the change and I think the fact we're playing reasonably good footy is a bit of a bonus really."

Perennial battlers Queensland haven't won successive Super 14 matches since they overcame South African teams the Lions and Bulls in 2006.

The momentum gained from the last-start 25-13 upset of the Sharks hasn't been hampered by last week's bye but the Chiefs' 63-34 thumping of the Blues means they will again be underdogs.

The match has been dubbed the battle of the entertainers but it's defence which is more likely to decide the result.

Braid and tough-tackling centre Berrick Barnes are the Reds' flagbearers in defence and Latimer is driven to bring his mentor down.

"I guess he has been part of my development," the 22-year-old said.

"It's like the teacher versus the 'young un' - I'll be looking to get one up on him."

Reds coach Phil Mooney wants 60 minutes of tough toil from skipper and influential lock James Horwill in his comeback from foot surgery but hasn't ruled out an unlikely full game.

"He had a shoulder recon a few years ago and the first game back went 80 (minutes)," Mooney said.

"So we know he's a great athlete. Hopefully with a bit of adrenalin and us on a bit of a roll he can go the 80."

Like the Reds, the Chiefs are also searching for consistency with skipper Mils Muliaina demanding his team learn from 2008 when they wilted to seventh after being the form team of the competition with three rounds to play.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
:mad:

Chiefs just too good. Talk of a come back. No way at 40 - 19 with 25 to go.

D

Dormouse

Reds coach note to self: review JDs of fullback and breakaways

Fullback
Essential: catch ball when kicked to him; tackle opponent running at him with ball; anticipate breakdowns of own side's attack and be in position to cover; find touch with own kicks.
Desirable: Ability to join backline in attack, beat opponents when defending behind one's own line an advantage, but not essential.

Breakaways
Essential: tackle, tackle and tackle; tackle around legs (apparently opponents have great difficulty running without these); accompany closely player from own side going forward with ball; mongrel nature at breakdown.
Desirable: speed, weight and height similar to Rocky Elsom.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Reds outplayed, well done to the Chiefs. Gee they are a confident side in attack, really back themselves. Some aimless kicking from the Reds really played into their hands and the defence looked woeful at times.

At least we got the bonus point and I thought McKibben and Davies did well for new boys.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I don't mean to highjack the thread, but I think it's significant that the Tahs held the Chiefs to 7 points. They mightn't have hit top gear byt then, but still, it gives the Tahs credibility as the best defensive side in the comp. Now, if they could only score some tries ...

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I guess some selections by Mooney were pretty naive, trying to get Connor and Davies to look after what is more than likely the All Black wingers was never going to work.

Lucas should never have played.

A positive was the growing reputation of Higgers, why the Reds went away from the forward style of play is beyond me. Everytime they kept it tight they looked good.

A shame that Barnes, Cooper and Mungo McLinden all picked the same night to kick poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.