• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds V Rebels- S15 Rd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Thoughts on the upcoming game?

This is a vital game to the Reds, even though it is only early in the season we will be in South Africa for rounds 4 and 5 and have 2 very hard games away.

I still think that the Reds and Tahs will be fighting it out for top spot in the Australian group and the Reds will want to be at least a Game ahead of the Tahs before travelling so this game becomes a must win and it also need to be a must win with a bonus point as I think bonus points could become the difference between a finals spot and not making it.

For the Rebels it is a vital game, are they as bad as the score against the Tahs reflects? Will KB (Kurtley Beale) make a difference if he returns? I think the Rebels have the most exciting backline in Australia on paper and if they can get a good foundation set by their forwards then they could easily score 4 tries on a regular basis, this has to allow them to win more than lose and will lead to some exciting Rugby.

I think the Reds will win by 5 points 33-28

When do teams get announced? I think the Reds have to train on Monday's to play the following week so I guess the Reds wont announce until Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning at the earliest

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd like to see a few changes to the Reds side, obviously some through injury returns.

Higginbotham for Samo (if fit)
Fainga'a for Lance (if fit)
Hanson for Anae
Holmes for Daley
Gill for Robinson

If Fainga'a isnt fit, I'd like to see Lucas start. He had looked good when he's come on, so playing him at 10 and moving Harris to 12 might be an option.

The other two changes are in relation to form as I think Daley has been poor and Gill has been playing well off the bench and should start ahead of Robinson.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd like to see a few changes to the Reds side, obviously some through injury returns.
The Reds first game was against a big, muscular Tahs forward pack.
Against the Force it was a forward back with a fast, smart loose forward pack.
The Rebels forwards will be steady, but lack both real muscle power and swift loosies.
So I agree with Gill for Robinson for this one, with the latter on the bench and save for the torrid South African games.
In the front row I also agree with Holmes for Daley. I noticed Daley was limping last game and probably will be rested anyway.
As Higgers only had a niggle before the Force game, I'm sure he will be back.
My selection is:

1 Holmes
2 Hanson ( Reds best player in round1)
3 Slipper
4 Simmons
5 Horwell (c)
6 Higginbotham
7 Gill
8 Samo

9 Ginea (vc)
10 Cooper (just kidding) Harris
11 Ioane
12 Lucas (not kidding)
13 Tapuai
14 Shipperley
15 Lance

16 Fainga'a Saia
17 Shepherdson
18 Van Humpries
19 Robinson
20 Shatz
21 Fainga'a Anthony
22 Morahan

By the way, did Van Humpries get any playing time off the bench last week? Had too many red wines by latter part of game.

D

daz

Rebels easily. 5 points in the bag against a rabble of an opposition.

:p

Oh, such wit. Who said humour has no place in sport?

I think there is more chance of the Rebel Army not being allowed in the gate at Suncorp.

Sportsbet should be running a book on which Army member is likely to feel the wrath of the Suncorp security first.

My money is on you, Stu!

:D

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds first game was against a big, muscular Tahs forward pack.
Against the Force it was a forward back with a fast, smart loose forward pack.
The Rebels forwards will be steady, but lack both real muscle power and swift loosies.

You must of either missed the Rebels v Tahs game or I was watching a different one. The Rebels were not fast enough to the breakdown, certainly but we were not outmuscled by the Tahs in the tight. If anything, I would have said the opposite.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Reds win with bonus point
Egregoiusly offensive.

Wholesale changes at the Rebels this week combined with returns from injury will result in an inspired and determined new look Rebels outfit registering the upset of the season.

Harris' boot can only get worse and Radike can only get slower. Both facts that will benefit the mighty Rebels, particularily as Phipps and Cipriani can only improve. The resultant counter-balancing of the two squads will force the Rebels above and beyond the grasp of the Reds.

we will need a dramatic improvement from our halves pairing, should that happen, I am confident that our pack and the rest of our backs are up to scratch to put in a solid effort and make a game of it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You must of either missed the Rebels v Tahs game or I was watching a different one. The Rebels were not fast enough to the breakdown, certainly but we were not outmuscled by the Tahs in the tight. If anything, I would have said the opposite.

Yep, once the Tahs rolled on the reserves, the Rebels got to near parity, so the back 30 minutes

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep, once the Tahs rolled on the reserves, the Rebels got to near parity, so the back 30 minutes

Agree! In the first half the Rebels scrum was going backwards on most inputs. Credit to them, they didn't give away a tight head but they were nowhere near parity. Still, they've got an easy scrum to play this week, I suspect they'll go a lot better.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Egregoiusly offensive

Why?
You can't just buy 2 top players in the off season and think you can win. There not there to play rugby, there there to put bums on seat. It's Melbourne. its all about the money unless its AFL.

Now thats" Egregoiusly offensive " :) if I understand that big word.

L

Linebacker_41

Interesting the perception of the Reds as an easy scrum. Like the Rebels they didnt give away any tightheads against the tahs.

People have mentioned that Palu's try came off a scrum which is true. BUT it was the tahs feed on that scrum and the Reds disrupted the ball and Sanchez picked it up after it came out of the tahs side of the scrum. He turned it over cause he had no support because no one expected the Reds to get the ball from the tahs feed.

I do agree tho with a number of threads that Holmes should replace Daley. Holmes is just starting to mature as a prop and could be a bolter for the Wallabies this year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Still, they've got an easy scrum to play this week, I suspect they'll go a lot better.
Geeez! That's a bit harsh!

You'll get no argument from me that the Tahs scrum is stronger than the Reds but I won't cop that they are an "easy" scrum. Easier - yes. Certainly not easy.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting the perception of the Reds as an easy scrum. Like the Rebels they didnt give away any tightheads against the tahs.

People have mentioned that Palu's try came off a scrum which is true. BUT it was the tahs feed on that scrum and the Reds disrupted the ball and Sanchez picked it up after it came out of the tahs side of the scrum. He turned it over cause he had no support because no one expected the Reds to get the ball from the tahs feed.

I do agree tho with a number of threads that Holmes should replace Daley. Holmes is just starting to mature as a prop and could be a bolter for the Wallabies this year.

The Tahs scrum seems to have adopted a different strategy this year. To my eyes they seem to be content to hold the scrum at the engage (probably to avoid being penalised by a random decision generator) and then put on a second shove. You don't get many tight heads that way you just disrupt the ball as the halfback is digging it out. Any team that scrums like the Japanese (hook the ball fast and get it out before the push comes on) can hold the Tahs on their own ball. That said, we haven't seen the Tah scrum against a good front row. This week should tell a story.

On the Reds scrum, Daley should only be picked against weak scrums until he develops some better skills. He can start this week but for the next two weeks Holmes should start at LHP.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the Reds scrum, Daley should only be picked against weak scrums until he develops some better skills. He can start this week but for the next two weeks Holmes should start at LHP.

Yep, Holmes for the big games. Much better prop

Status
Not open for further replies.