• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Saitama, Ballymore, Saturday 4th November @ 3:05pm

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I went out and enjoyed it. Was sat near a vocal group of Japanese fans which was cool.

Would like to watch the replay but from the ground:

I thought HMP was excellent. Very slick passing and positive attacking mindset. Very solid in defense too. By no means the kicking game that Lynagh has.

Really liked the work of both wingers with Ryan tough in D in the middle and Grealy very active. Flook was as classy as always.

Thought Anderson was very busy and productive and Bryant good in the first half. Uru and Wilson found their way into the game later. Agree with Wilson about Daly too.

Jeffery Toomaga-Allen is one big human, but surprisingly (to me) so is de Lutiis, for someone so young.

Thought overall discipline was terrible but would have to watch the replay to get a good sense of it.
Seems like this kid has a big future.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Both 10s, ie HMP and the Wild Knights player, had top games. HMP motm for me.

Flook was excellent and de Luciis looked very comfortable at this level. Also thought Werchon was a step up at No 9 but lucky to be awarded his try.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually was thinking about this game, it was only about 20 years ago Japanese clubs were playing Brisbane 3rd grade clubs for preseason rugby, think is was about 2001-2 that club I was tied up with in Brisbane played a couple of top Japanese clubs while they were in Qld. Now they have improved enough to play Reds!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Actually was thinking about this game, it was only about 20 years ago Japanese clubs were playing Brisbane 3rd grade clubs for preseason rugby, think is was about 2001-2 that club I was tied up with in Brisbane played a couple of top Japanese clubs while they were in Qld. Now they have improved enough to play Reds!

Saitama first played QLD back in 1991

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Saitama first played QLD back in 1991
Yep it wasn't Saitama my club played against, we had 2 teams in 1 year, Sannix Blues was one, and can't remember the other we played the week before. Not the length of time they been coming here that I was really commenting on, but just how they have gone from playing a 3rd grade club side to pleying Reds, just shows how they have inproved. I seem to recall although it was preseason etc, they actually had imports etc playing, I recall Jamie Joseph and of the Osborne boys from NZ being involved etc.