• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers Rd 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To top it off, apparently it was well over 30 degrees in Brisbane for that game.

Can anyone confirm?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
To top it off, apparently it was well over 30 degrees in Brisbane for that game.

Can anyone confirm?

It was warn and muggy tonight after the heap of rain the last few days. See the field underfoot was a bit greasy. Can't confirm the the temp, but it felt warm.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
The Stormers are missing - Eben Etsebeth, De Kock Steenkamp, Ruan Botha, Raynard Elstandt, Manuel Carriza, Gerbrand Grobler and Jean Kleyn - and those are just the locks, add Tiaan Liebenberg and Scarra Ntebeni at hooker and it pretty obvious why the line-out misfired.

In the end they just didn't have the heavy artillery pressure the reds and ended up having to defend for too much of the game. Brave, but not good enough in the end.

Oh well, tour is finally over and back home (where they are still unbeaten), things can only get better.

But how poor were the Reds, they had all the ball and a sympaphetic referee and still didn't look like they could score in brothel.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to get the win. Lots to say but I reckon we need some 'hot steppers' in the team. There's not much line breaking potential out there outside QC (Quade Cooper). Taps looked the most dangerous. I'd be having him at 12 when CFS comes back. Assuming Ships is out then JJ should come in at fullback

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree. pretty good effort .we just appeared to be lacking some fire power in the outside backs, surely expected due to injuries. Genia was exceptional. Good stuff from the forwards generally. Robinson did a nice job filling in for Gill; he got through a lot of work. I thought Browning injected himself into the game well when he came on, but I'd have to watch again to rate his overall performance.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought it was a pretty solid win. I can understand, though, why I might be on my own in thinking that.

Given the conditions, it was always going to be a game of playing for territory and capitalising on the oppositions mistakes and the reds did that against a side with a pretty solid defensive line.

The reds would also be very mindful of their massive penalty count this season and would have been trying to reduce their infringements this week and I would say they did that.

The reds needed to win tonight to stay in the race and they did that.

That's three pretty major achievements right there.

Both teams looked like they would have rathered be at home in the air conditioning and I can't blame them. They may have played in higher temperatures before, but the combination with the humidity tonight made it pretty unpleasant sitting in the stands.

I said it last year, but the surface at suncorp does not recover from rain like it used to since the floods in 2011. Understandable given it had half of the brisbane river mud dumped on it, but the subsurface drainage is now clogged with that crap. Time to dig it all up and resurface after the league season this year, surely.

QC (Quade Cooper), Turner, Tapuai, Slipper and Hanson had pretty good games I thought.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

Can anyone confirm?

Must have been over 90% humidity. Would have been difficult sucking in enough air out on the field. The tempo of the game matched the conditions. I thought the Reds did well to win. Traveling back to play in such oppressive conditions would be difficult. I'd say there would have been a lot of sick boys from both teams last night.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds needed to do what was needed to win this game. With the brumbies and tahs getting smashed its a even better result.

Reds mistakes out did there penalty count, found that just as frustrating.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Great to see the Reds control the game and get up.

A lot of standouts already mentioned so will just comment on Tapuai. Great to see him beating players and getting offloads away again. Time to get him back in the 12 jersey when CFS returns. Quirk was disappointing again, it must be close to time to give someone else a run there.

Reactions: gel

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds Forwards still going in to high And having to wrestle there way to the ground. There were times when the body hight was low and clean out was heavy giving genia quick ball, but there was also times genia was slow and keeping the ball in the ruck (Stormers 22) setting up the our runners giving the Stormer time to set up defence.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I agree. pretty good effort .we just appeared to be lacking some fire power in the outside backs, surely expected due to injuries. Genia was exceptional. Good stuff from the forwards generally. Robinson did a nice job filling in for Gill; he got through a lot of work. I thought Browning injected himself into the game well when he came on, but I'd have to watch again to rate his overall performance.

To an outsider but a Wallaby fan through and through, I just cannot agree with you about Will. Admittedly, his running game is improving and that's heartening, but his decision making atm is way off beam. Many times last night he sent the ball in the wrong direction. Rather than looking to see where the defence is most at risk, he seems to be playing to a preconceived plan which is usually one way and then the other. His kicking game is still off also. Still want to see a lot more improvement in his overall game.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

Can anyone confirm?

The Foxsport message at the beginning of the game said the temperature was 27degrees.
It was the very high humidity that made it nasty.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I ca tell you the conditions on the field were oppressive. Chris Pollock was struggling and Big Kev was completely wasted after the game. Several of the Reds had dysentery in the lead up others had back spasms or colds from the plane flight. I'd say it will be a pretty quiet training week for the boys ahead of a huge game against the force. I think if you take into account the travel and the weather it was an exceptional performance.

As for Brumbies supporters being critical of Will Genias game it is a little like the boy who cried wolf. We've heard it all before. Just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As for Brumbies supporters being critical of Will Genias game it is a little like the boy who cried wolf. We've heard it all before. Just because you say it over and over doesn't make it true.

I think Genia's form is much better than it was at the start of the season and that is probably the benchmark that matters most for him and the Reds right now.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've just 'found' this shot from last night.Simmons vertical leap is pretty impressive.
SSM_7939.jpg

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's a great shot!
Interesting that both jumpers hands are the same height,but Simmons hips are much lower than the Stormers jumper.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats Reds.

Genia's kicking is woeful. He should retire from kicking and increase his running game.

The Rocket's ball handling was also terrible.

on the positive side, we won, Tahs and Brumbies both lost

Status
Not open for further replies.