• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Time for Quirk to move up in the pecking order. Signing Samo for two years wasn't the smartest decision, should of been just a one year.

tl12, an astute rugby mate of mine remarked today "...Samo looks like he has mentally retired..." and I thought: spot on. Playing like it too. How Link thought it wise to start him v Stormers is inexplicable to me, yet indicative of the whole new way we seem to be approaching our selection tasks and team mindset in 2012 v 2011.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No need to educate me on the "Saffer" way -- its pretty straight forward actually! Just talk down Aussie teams whenever you get half a chance and dismiss the opinion of Aussie fans in the most obnoxious manner possible.
Thats not my style Boet. I try to add value to this place. I wont generalise like yourself about the sorry sad Reds supporters, have way to much respect for old timers like LiqourBox , Sully and those who know me from many moons ago. Maybe you need to go on the Reds only forum and share a tear with the sorry lot.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Not sure about "more than" but yeah, you can see the defensive structures still in place which expect him there.

Watch Robinson in that clip.

AF knocks him down then Beau is over the top of the ball. He's been playing the same way this year, but with AF missing so is this sort of effort.

Edit: Fuck it... time linking won't work. Go to 21:26

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Genia is the problem and the solution.
He has a big head and thinks he can do what he likes without criticism. Surely the coach has told him he must stick to the game plan (no rediulous chip kicks, be at every ruck and maul - not some - ready to deliver)
If he has told him and he still does what he likes then drop him.
If he is prepared to be a team player then he should fix his pass.
Do they spend time alone improving their skills ???????
A session with the video would demonstrate all his technical proplems --- pick up ball, step back or to side, run before pass, etc., etc
maybe he is trying to execute the game plan, just think how many times higgers is critisized for being out of position or kicking, but he still gets picked and continues to do it. I think it is fair to say higgers does what the coach wants, maybe Genia is doing as told. (I really hope not!)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The chip kicks annoy me, but as liquor box has said surely they are part of the game plan. Otherwise you don't think that Ewen might have pulled him aside prior to this and had a quiet word.

Execution has been below par, but so to has the kick chase. Genia kicked a lot last year too, but the kick chase was much better.

In fact all around he had better options - there were more runners in motion, the backs were stable and functioning, he had the same number 10 for every single minute of every game, the forwards were generating front foot ball and he could pick times to run when the defence was under stress.

I am not saying Genia is in his best form, or that the game plan is perfect, but I think some of the criticism is getting over the top.

Out of interest Gary, do you know Genia personally to say that he 'has a big head and thinks he is above criticism'. I don't know him from a bar of soap so if you do then fair enough, but from all reports and from what I have seen he is quite grounded and level headed.

Gary

Frank Row (1)
The chip kicks annoy me, but as liquor box has said surely they are part of the game plan. Otherwise you don't think that Ewen might have pulled him aside prior to this and had a quiet word.

Execution has been below par, but so to has the kick chase. Genia kicked a lot last year too, but the kick chase was much better.

In fact all around he had better options - there were more runners in motion, the backs were stable and functioning, he had the same number 10 for every single minute of every game, the forwards were generating front foot ball and he could pick times to run when the defence was under stress.

I am not saying Genia is in his best form, or that the game plan is perfect, but I think some of the criticism is getting over the top.

Out of interest Gary, do you know Genia personally to say that he 'has a big head and thinks he is above criticism'. I don't know him from a bar of soap so if you do then fair enough, but from all reports and from what I have seen he is quite grounded and level headed.

Gary

Frank Row (1)
Apologies for my knee-jerk reaction.
He is probably a very nice young man.
However, he is also a Professional Sportsman.
He is slow to the breakdown, has significant weaknesses with his delivery and continues with ill considered kicks. These have been problems for several weeks with no apparent improvement.
As he has made no changes, it appears that he doesn't recognize the problems.Hence the "big head".
- compare Ricky Ponting's technical problems and the work he did to fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.