• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Tahs Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The "Trial" Festival of hate!

Ten days to go! A very important Trial from a Qld point of view in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how we are going. I will be very interested to see what kind of condition Tirinui and Houston are in. If those two look fit then everyone is fit!
100111_training_pix_043.jpg

If that's Morgan in the background he's looking pretty good.

I'm interested in a NSW point of view of the Trial and wondering who else is going to Lismore for a look?

T

TOCC

Re: The "Trial" Festival of hate!

there is already a thread for the QLD - NSW trial

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Threads merged.

Should be a good game, considering the rematch a two weeks later... sort of a test run for Super 15 with two festival's of hate...

T

TOCC

i went to the NSW - QLD trial match in Toowoomba last year, and admittedly it was a bit of a dour affair, i do expect this year to be a bit better though.

R

rugbywhisperer

I might try and fit it in.
Might be a good day with the afternoon on the beach at Byron and then mosey on up the hill for both games.

S

straightshooter

rugbywhisperer said:
Might be a good day with the afternoon on the beach at Byron and then mosey on up the hill for both games.
Whispers,
Take the Longboard - surf should be good then stroll up the hill - wear some 'pink zinc" and a big straw hat so I can identify you :lmao: :lmao:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
i went to the NSW - QLD trial match in Toowoomba last year, and admittedly it was a bit of a dour affair, i do expect this year to be a bit better though.

Link vs Hickey & Waugh? with a load of fringe players?, and a lot of team changes?

It just doesn't have the ring of a open exciting game to me

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Sully said:
Ten days to go! A very important Trial from a Qld point of view in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how we are going. I will be very interested to see what kind of condition Tirinui and Houston are in. If those two look fit then everyone is fit!

I'm interested in a NSW point of view of the Trial and wondering who else is going to Lismore for a look?
Who's the guy obscured by Quade Cooper in the pic?

Good to see QC (Quade Cooper) on the training paddock, and I hope he gets a run in the trials just to get his mind back on things rugby. And no..I am not inviting opinion about his off-field drama...

On Morgs, I understand he is surprisingly quick off the mark and over 20m. I guess Habana makes anyone look pedestrian.

With respect to the trial, I am looking forward to seeing how Tomiki goes. I hear he has been very impressive at training.

S

straightshooter

Looks like Ben "Taps" - notice he is wearing Academy gear

C

chief

spectator said:
Sully said:

Good to see QC (Quade Cooper) on the training paddock, and I hope he gets a run in the trials just to get his mind back on things rugby. And no..I am not inviting opinion about his off-field drama...

On Morgs, I understand he is surprisingly quick off the mark and over 20m. I guess Habana makes anyone look pedestrian.

With respect to the trial, I am looking forward to seeing how Tomiki goes. I hear he has been very impressive at training.

Noddy I think that could be Kimani Situati. Although it might be Ben. Not sure, my guess is one of those two.

T

TOCC

chief said:
spectator said:
Sully said:

Noddy I think that could be Kimani Situati. Although it might be Ben. Not sure, my guess is one of those two.

no pretty sure its Ben Tapuai, I think Kimani Situati is actually with the 7's squad training at the moment

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

no pretty sure its Ben Tapuai, I think Kimani Situati is actually with the 7's training with them at the moment
[/quote]

And running at 12. He may well come into the running for that spot during the season...a very handy player.

R

rugbywhisperer

straightshooter said:
rugbywhisperer said:
Whispers,
Take the Longboard - surf should be good then stroll up the hill - wear some 'pink zinc" and a big straw hat so I can identify you :lmao: :lmao:

nah - had a great week doing nothin in Mossman, gave the Reef Coconut Oil a good bash and ended up nice and chocolate - I also suspect I gave a big promo to the cancer cells.
So it's no pink zinc for me - and, there is no surf where we go but the straw hat could be on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Five-eighth Daniel Halangahu will captain a NSW squad containing the Waratahs' new overseas recruits in the Super 14 side's first rugby trial of the season, against Queensland in Lismore on Saturday.

None of NSW's Wallabies will play in the four-quarter game, but coach Chris Hickey will use up to 28 men.

Hickey confirmed All Blacks winger/fullback Sosene Anesi, South African-born lock Hendrik Roodt and New Zealand born flanker and lock Cam Jowitt will each make their first appearance in a Waratahs shirt.

"We're very keen to have a look at those players, we've been really impressed with the way they've trained," Hickey said.

"But it's not until you see players on the park that you get that really strong indication of what they are going to offer the program."

Halangahu will get first crack at one of the playmaking roles.

The 25-year-old Sydney University pivot will vie with Kurtley Beale and prize recruit Berrick Barnes for the key inside back position once the Super 14 tournament starts next month.

"He (Halangahu) showed last year that not only his form with the Waratahs, but also in the Sydney club competition, that he's really matured as a player," Hickey said.

"He's got a good rugby mind, he stays composed, so we feel that he's the right person for this game."

Hickey will give his fringe squad members and young academy players the opportunities against the Reds.

He said Barnes, who only recently resumed full training following an ankle injury sustained on the Wallabies' spring tour last year, could now possibly play in the Waratahs' second trial against Fiji Warriors in Orange on January 30.

It was originally thought Barnes might only play their final trial against the Brumbies in Canberra on February 4.

Among the emerging players keen to impress on Saturday will be former Reds halfback Brendan McKibbin.

The Scottish born flanker turned No.9 is regarded by Hickey as a serious challenger to the Waratahs' other two halfbacks, Wallaby Luke Burgess and Josh Holmes, who has returned from the Brumbies.

"We've got three very good halfbacks to choose from. Brendan has performed well since he's come down here in November," Hickey said.

"All three will contest strongly, not only during the trial period but throughout the (Super 14) season."

McKibbin expected a ribbing from his former Reds teammates on Saturday.

"It's going to be interesting, but I'm not thinking about who they are, it's just another group of guys in a different jersey," McKibbin said.

He acknowledged he faced a challenge to take playing time off the more established Burgess and Holmes.

"They are two quality halfbacks and it's good to be around them, it's healthy competition and the more we can feed off each other at training, I think it's going to bring the best out of all three of us," McKibbin said.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Thought I would just cut and paste Straightshooters entry from the general Reds thread here:

Hear tell that Jake Schatz is playing a full game on Saturday - 6 in first half and 8 in second.

Sounds like some youngsters are getting solid hit-outs and the chance to impress.

Great to see some pressure on incumbants mounting mounting and mounting. The Reds need just that. Players from below putting pressure on those in the team to perform EACH week

Evidently 2 teams each playing a half with an odd few playing full game.

Some interesting selections for the first trial match. None of the front line Wallabies will be playing for the Reds but Kingi gets a full game at halfback along with Schatz, as mentioned by Shooter. Others to be playing 80 minutes I hear are Van Humphries and Byrne.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Grandstand seating has sold out and all that is left is general admission.

It will be interesting to see how the boys handle the cricket pitch.

T

tranquility

why would van humphries and byrnes have a full game? surely they would want simmonds to soak up as many minutes as possible and save old man humphries from breaking down..

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
tranquility said:
why would van humphries and byrnes have a full game? surely they would want simmonds to soak up as many minutes as possible and save old man humphries from breaking down..
Simmons is injured.

First half team (some gaps): 1. Daley 2. Fainga'a 3. ?? 4. Van 5. Byrne 6. Schaatz 7. Tomiki 8. Taylor 9. Kingi 10. Lucas 11. Shipperley 12. Fainga'a 13. Turinui 14. Vaalu?? 15. Morahan.

Second half: 1. Slipper 2. Hansen 3. ??4. Van 5. Byrne 6. Higgers 7. Shaw 8. Schaatz 9. Kingi 10 Walsh 11. Connor 12 Tapuai 13. Chambers. 14. Davies 15. Toua.

Probably got one or two in the wrong position or team but in the main I understand that is what we will see.

C

chief

It's looking more and more likely that Quirk will be getting a run somewhere in that team. Unless he's on Sevens duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.