• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Waratahs Round 5 - 2016 Super Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You are confusing intensity for quality.
It was never going to be a glittering handling display from the Reds backs, because it's beyond them at this level.

Tahs were fair,now they are poor.
I can't believe the impact Cheika leaving has had,with essentially the same playing group.
Both sides were poo tonight, which is a continuation of their performance this year.

It's not only the rapid decline in execution from the Waratahs, it's the discipline. I said after the first game that I had a bad feeling about this season and nothing that I have seen so far has changed that.

I'd be interested to know for example whether the Blades appointment was instigated by Gibson or by the Board.

I suspect that what's being confirmed is that only an abrasive personality who has the gravitas to tell the NSWRU board to f**k off has any hope of successfully coaching the team.

Cheika fitted the bill - as would people like Eddie Jones, Jake White, Clive Woodwood (not nominating any for the job necessarily, just the type of personality required)

G

galumay

Tough game in tough conditions, just got back from a days fishing so watched the recorded game. Tah's showed their class by hanging in there and doing enough to get the points.

Reds fans will be happy with some improvement in their team's performance. They still look like a bunch of headless chooks in attack, just no idea what they are trying to do. Once again you cant win a game based on scrum dominance - and even that only lasted less than one half.

Gill looked slow and unfit to me, still menacing at the breakdown but he was ponderous around the paddock - hopefully he will get better with match fitness. I dont think McIntyre is more than a club rugby player, looks well out of his depth in Super rugby.

For the Tah's, I am still not convinced about Latu, Foley had a good first game back, Beale was his usual busy self, Folou looks to be gaining back a bit more confidence again. Guilford seems to be lifting his tempo nicely.

A week to regather before taking on the Rebels next Sunday, a game they should take easily enough.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Tahs showed their class? Nonsense - they are the most cynical side in the competition with their tactics of collapsing the scrum to avoid being shoved up their own backsides. They rely heavily on the ref ordering the other team to "use it" while they act as roadblocks to the advancing mudslide threatening to devour them for once and for all.

And that cynicism was on show again when Hooper interfered with Gill at the scrum that Holloway made his impressive burst. I am not saying that Hooper engineered the break, but the intention was clearly there.

The ref really should have taken some action (other than issuing penalties) when there had been a succession of 6 or 7 infringements on the trot between the 5th minute and the 15th.

The Tahs may show their class in upcoming games, but it certainly wasn't on show in this one.

Reactions: mst
G

galumay

Tahs showed their class?

Yep, I am not surprised that you cant see it, but its class that wins you tight games like that.

Your historonics about cynicism aside I dont see anything in your post refuting my view, but I am quite happy for you to hold a contrary view.

I think its pretty obvious most sides will struggle to combat the Reds scrum this year, although the Tah's came back well even in that facet of play later in the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ No surprises with that one. I think TMO George singled out the wrong bloke during the game. Readys looked "accidental" enough, but Sef's knee just appeared to be outright dumb.

The Bye will help with the sentence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tahs showed their class? Nonsense - they are the most cynical side in the competition with their tactics of collapsing the scrum to avoid being shoved up their own backsides. They rely heavily on the ref ordering the other team to "use it" while they act as roadblocks to the advancing mudslide threatening to devour them for once and for all.

And that cynicism was on show again when Hooper interfered with Gill at the scrum that Holloway made his impressive burst. I am not saying that Hooper engineered the break, but the intention was clearly there.

The ref really should have taken some action (other than issuing penalties) when there had been a succession of 6 or 7 infringements on the trot between the 5th minute and the 15th.

The Tahs may show their class in upcoming games, but it certainly wasn't on show in this one.

Best part about this? ^^^

Delivered by a fan of one of the most heavily penalised teams of the last five years.

It's like you've never seen an openside run a blocking line.

Or a rugby game.

"The intention was clearly there".

The intention to win? Of course it fucking was.

Fact is, Gill followed his target correctly - 9 running from the base. Whoever the Reds had at 8 at the time didn't fill the hole that either Hooper or Holloway could have driven a truck through, and the Reds halves stayed out instead of counting numbers.

The officials had two minutes of replays to find Hooper guilty, and despite the ref having a boner for it, couldn't.

It wasn't a classy display by any means, but it was a win.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I hate losing, but i hate seeing my team clueless even more. The forwards are rapidly putting Woody far behind them and are awesome. I think the backs are still dealing with a few ghosts and the bye will do them well. They are a little deep in occassion but look like the plan is to flatten up.

The anger feel is that we lost 6 months in the preseason doing what Woody wanted only have to to throw it out and retool so quick, the boys are adjusting and success is really just around the corner.

Ps. Phil Waugh, that's how you call in scrums!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The anger feel is that we lost 6 months in the preseason doing what Woody wanted only have to to throw it out and retool so quick, the boys are adjusting and success is really just around the corner.

This.

This Reds team has had two weeks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^ No surprises with that one. I think TMO George singled out the wrong bloke during the game. Readys looked "accidental" enough, but Sef's knee just appeared to be outright dumb.

The Bye will help with the sentence.

Personally I think we were lucky. The worst response could have been YC to Ready, RC to Faagase. I thought Ready was OK, where else could he go? Penalty sure. But Faagase was a RC.

So getting out of it with a single yellow was lucky.

We dont need to see this stuff, and as much as I am a solid fan of Faagase he needs a clip around the ears that hurts. Time off if needs be.

Fortunately Slipper is back.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
This.

This Reds team has had two weeks.
Yeah, that they can compete so quick shows what a good bunch of players we have. Stiles is really getting a lot out of his pack, the backs will settle into a pattern sooner rather than later I think.

That they can put it all behind them so quick in the fire of Super Rugby is brilliant. Which is why I think we'll win a few this year and may even suprise a top 6 team.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Agree completely with dru.
Ready gets the benefit of the doubt for me, didn't mean to do it (although I suggets probably could have avoided it if he'd wanted to ), fa'agase definitely deliberate, bloody lucky not to get a red.
I wouldn't call it a classy performance by the Tahs, but BR's comments are a bit like listening to Bill Shorten talking about the Libs, you know where he's coming from so it's pretty meaningless.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Personally I think we were lucky. The worst response could have been YC to Ready, RC to Faagase. I thought Ready was OK, where else could he go? Penalty sure. But Faagase was a RC.

So getting out of it with a single yellow was lucky.

We dont need to see this stuff, and as much as I am a solid fan of Faagase he needs a clip around the ears that hurts. Time off if needs be.

Fortunately Slipper is back.

Tahs were lucky Falou was not given a yellow card for a high shot

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tahs showed their class? Nonsense - they are the most cynical side in the competition

I certainly have no love for the tahs, but you are a complete space cadet if you think the tahs are the most cynical team in the competition.

There is one team that has written the book on cynical play for the last couple of years and whilst they are located between Queensland and Victoria they are definitely not the tahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.