• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Blues, Suncorp Stadium, 2011R13

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Reds have a pretty big list of injured backs now..

Harris, Davies, Hynes and Morahan are all probable to miss the game against the Blues and Lucas is only a maybe, I dont think there were any injury concerns in the forward pack so maybe just a few rotations there.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
13. Chambers / Tapuai
14. Shipperly
15. Lucas / Toua

Although Ben Tapaui and Aidan Toua both came back from injury last week through club rugby so they are both possibilities.

T

TOCC

Yeah good point Godfrey, that would make more sense, Tapuai is playing 12 for Sunnybank this weekend, Link will probably have some eyes out there watching him

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The Blues have been off their best and have a few injuries of their own so I am still confident the reds can get up at home. The loss of all 3 injured reds though will make it a huge challenge. After Chambers last performance at 13 I don't think Link will play him there again.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. Fainga'a
14. Chambers
15. Lucas (hopefully)

Our forward stocks are looking very healthy and given Higgers pace out wide maybe he could get a run on the wing if anyone else goes down. Just bring AWH in at lock and move Horwill to 6.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Would be awesome to see Taps at 12 and Toua at 15.

If Lucas is injured the Reds have a bit of trouble fielding a backline though.

Lance and Sitauti on the bench with Prior if Benny is injured then

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Please no chambers... I must have counted 5 times against the 'canes when he rushed up out of the line and as a result they made a line break. Fainga'a comes back on = no more line breaks

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Please no chambers... I must have counted 5 times against the 'canes when he rushed up out of the line and as a result they made a line break. Fainga'a comes back on = no more line breaks

I agree - Chambers is well off the pace in all aspects, unfortunately, after giving us hope he might be a contender. He really isn't. Rushing up can be a killer move - but you have to know when - vis-a-vis Mortlock, who generally gets it very right. Anyone can say what they like about Fainga'a, but he does defend pretty well.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think the Reds will have enough fit outside backs left to leave Chambers out.

He's been back on the edges for a few weeks now so it's time for him to stand up and be counted. Really just needs to deliver on the potential shown last year. A big shame he hasn't kicked on this season but one good 80 minutes would turn that around.

Hopefully Genia gets over his virus fast too. Don't want him dropping weight and strength.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Will be very interesting if Link continues to try and hide Cooper on the Blind wing in defence. A quick ball to Ranger or Rocks will cause Cooper huge problems especially if Lucas isn't there to help him.

I would be more include to keep Cooper at 10 and have A. Fainga'a in his pocket at 12 with Robinson covering the inside shoulder. It will narrow the defence and the OC and wings have to be picked accordingly.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Chambers hasn't become a dud overnight he's just in a form slump & before he was dumped defence wasn't his problem he was dropping the pill & pushing passes.

He had a bad defensive game against the Hurricanes but he was paired up with Harris for the 1st time so being back alongside Fainga'a may fix his problems from Wellington.

Lucas still has a fitness test to pass so he may play on Friday.

My Reds 22 would be.
1. Daley
2. Fainga'a/Hanson (Happy with both)
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5.Horwill
6. Samo
7. Robinson
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
13. Chambers
14. Shipperley
15. Lucas
16. refer to #2
17. Holmes
18. AWH
19. Gill
20. Schatz
21. Toua
22. Tapuai

C

chief

I think they should pick Chambers and move Fainga'a to 12. Chambers was quality last year, he's just in a form slump, and he's tried too hard hence why he's rushed up in defence. Certainly would rather him over Taps.

T

tranquility

I think they should pick Chambers and move Fainga'a to 12. Chambers was quality last year, he's just in a form slump, and he's tried too hard hence why he's rushed up in defence. Certainly would rather him over Taps.

Tapuai is just so much better.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm a bit torn over this fixture. As a Kiwi I want the Blues to win, but as a Crusaders fan I need the Blues to start dropping some games if my team is to have any chance of topping our conference and earning a week's rest in the first round of the finals.

Regardless of what I want to happen, I think the Blues will win by ten.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm a bit torn over this fixture. As a Kiwi I want the Blues to win, but as a Crusaders fan I need the Blues to start dropping some games if my team is to have any chance of topping our conference and earning a week's rest in the first round of the finals.

Regardless of what I want to happen, I think the Blues will win by ten.

I can tell you I was right behind the Canes on Friday! We would have been leading the table 1 point clear if they had got up. They butchered that game - another year where they come good just too late for it to mean anything?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I know its only a small thing, but I think having higgers at 6 and Samo at 8 works a lot better than having them the other way round. Samo's soft hands from the back of the scrum are one of his greatest assets, and playing higgers at 6 allows him to do some adam thompson-esc sea-gulling in the backline which can be very effective.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Agree Bowside, Samo's huge reach & ability to control the ball well with those huge hands of his give extra space & time from the scrum, especially if it's struggling.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know its only a small thing, but I think having higgers at 6 and Samo at 8 works a lot better than having them the other way round. Samo's soft hands from the back of the scrum are one of his greatest assets, and playing higgers at 6 allows him to do some adam thompson-esc sea-gulling in the backline which can be very effective.

Wouldn't call what Thomson does seagulling. He just knows where to be and when. He's a breakdown master, seagulling isn't the right term for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.