• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls - Rd6

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Some bad news that Gill is in doubt and will have scans on his knee. Horwill should be back for 40. Does anyone know how Fainga'a is recovering?

Only seen 40 mins of the Bulls so far, where will they challenge the Reds?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Depends whether the Bulls vs the Crusaders/Force or the Bulls vs the Blues/Stormers turn up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Take it wide. All day.

We will have two rookies in the centres, albeit very good players they are untested at this level. Attack the outside channel. Speed the game up. The forwards will be angry and come hard but like the crusaders did, run them around.

We are stuck between caveman rugby and something our coaches don't yet quite understand how to coach so there are glimpses of good things but it's stop start stuff.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We take them fast and hard. We set the pace of the game and run them off their feet. I think that is how we take the power out of their power their game. This is the sort of game our back row should lap up.

No disrespect to the Bulls but after the horrible crap we served up last week, this week needs to be about us getting our game right.

Is Simmons ok to play?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Ruggo, ditto from the Bulls. They will have a cracker up their arse this week. Make no mistake. They will come with the intensity they showed against the Blues.

I also expect to see a back row of Spies, and the two Potgieters to counter the pace of your back row. Those guys are not slow.

But we will try to slow the game down to counter you guys so possession is going to be critical. Got to hang on to the pill to set the pace.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That Blue, is best discription of how I seen Bulls so far!!

I look at the young players the Bulls have contracted that are on the verge of Super Rugby and I pray that we get a more modern coach before they get wasted. We have a great young talent pool sitting in the wings. We'll need to reinvent a game plan that has at its core been the same for 100 years.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Gill will be crucial if the Reds want to play the wide game, especially as Robinson is still on the sidelines. Schatz at 7, which is being touted by the press, does not fill me with confidence.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Always my favourite game of the year!

Wide, fast and hard is the only way to go against the bulls. If the reds win, it will be a great win. I expect a loss however.

Straith

Chris McKivat (8)
Sounds like a real battle to me.
I have a feeling both teams are gonna be making good use of the ball and the team with the most possession will take this one out.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Where's Crofty playing at the moment? That's what you do right? If your star openside goes down with a crook knee, you just pluck some old washed up champion from Japan or something and they come back playing every bit as well as they did in their prime? ;)

Disclaimer: Not saying Croft is or was as good as Smith - just making jokes.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Some bad news that Gill is in doubt and will have scans on his knee. Horwill should be back for 40. Does anyone know how Fainga'a is recovering?

Only seen 40 mins of the Bulls so far, where will they challenge the Reds?

Exactly where you'd expect it really. If we don't clean up some of the ill discipline from the earlier rounds Morne will be punishing us all night long, his radar has looked to be on from what I've seen out of him this season.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sidebar: Somehow I can't get the well known energy drink out of my mind when I see this Thread title.

Reds will win comfortably if they can get over their "Rugby entertainers" complex, and simply get out and play the rugby that they are capable playing. You win games by doing the simple things well, interspersed with the occasional act of brilliance.

Of late it appears that they seem to be basing their play on continual acts of brilliance with the simple things being occasionally executed well.

Pretty sure that this is not the way that they are being trained, but as we all know, execution of the game plan (along with issues emphasised at training) frequently goes out the window when the players cross the chalkline at the start of the game.

If they play with an arrogance of entitlement, then the Saffers will chew them up and spit them out, and it won't be pretty.

The Bulls will be like an old reliable and predictable Caterpiller diesel engine. We know what we will get, and they will do it well. The determination of who wins this game will be solely made by Camp Red.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I also expect to see a back row of Spies, and the two Potgieters to counter the pace of your back row. Those guys are not slow.

That would help them immensely IMO in defence. In attack however they are likely to play a tighter game committing plenty of numbers to the collisions and bank on frustrating the Reds by starving of possession and forcing them to either tackle all night or overplay by competing for the ball and being penalised. Step up Morne.

Their halfback/1st 5 play was poor last week. They lacked direction and Morne was standing way to deep and failed to ignite much at all.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
We know what we will get, and they will do it well. The determination of who wins this game will be solely made by Camp Red.

Agree with some of what you say HJ, but I certainly don't think you are giving the Bulls the credit they deserve. You are basically saying that if the Reds are on their game and do the basics well then the Bulls will have no answer? You obviously think that on their day the Reds are a far superior team to the Bulls, but I'm not sure what evidence you have to support that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not saying that Reds are far superior at all, just that how they play (and how they react to the Bulls) will determine who wins.

Reds will need to do the simple things well AND some occasional things brilliantly to win this game.

Conversely if the Reds try to push things, or execute poorly, then the Bulls are a very punishing team that will leap upon those chances and severely punish the Reds by keep ticking the scoreboard over in their favour.

Despite what others may have posted about Bulls inconsistency this year, IMHO the Bulls are a solid and dependable team who do basics well and are very skilled at punishing poorly executed opposition plays.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Plenty of motivation after the trouncing they received last year. Last time that happened the return game in 2008 went the way of the Reds 40-8. I had just moved to Brisbane and it was my first time at the cauldron. Maybe Link needs to show the guys those 2 losses again this week.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Bulls love to kick the ball up into the opposition half, rush the catcher, and where possible either get a penalty for Stein to convert or a turnover - they do this ad nausium.
The Reds back three will really need to be on their game to return the ball.
The Crusaders won convincingly by spreading the ball across the field, backwards and forwards, and running the Bulls forwards off their feet. Also they used Reid a lot to take the ball up from rucks & mauls.
I predict the Reds will start with Samo this week to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.