• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Rebels - 2011R05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Hate being negative but the Rebels were awful. Well done Reds for putting 50+ on the Rebels, and getting the bonus point, but don't expect anything that easy for the rest of the season.

Except next week against the Cheetahs - but after that...-

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought Saia Finger was good. Hanson however is a very bright prospect and I'm happy for him to continue to make cameos off the bench for the time being. Daley is very good around the field, still struggles a bit at scrum time. He is only 22 so it is not like there is no room for improvement.

T

TOCC

Ben deserves his crack, its debatable whether it should be from outside center though, if he has a bad game and is caught out of position, is it really his fault?
His skill set is conducive with the inside center position, and even though some papers have suggested that Fainga'a may be replaced at halftime with Taps moving into 12, i think this is unlikely considering 5 - 2 split on the bench.

Taps isn't a outside centre

Dam i hate been right, especially in the case of Taps, i know he is a lot better then what was demonstrated last night, its unlikely that Link will retain Taps at 13 after that performance, its probable he will get dropped out of the squad altogether, he is going to find it hard going to break back into it now as well considering the Reds Academy matches are pretty much finished.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought Saia Finger was good. Hanson however is a very bright prospect and I'm happy for him to continue to make cameos off the bench for the time being. Daley is very good around the field, still struggles a bit at scrum time. He is only 22 so it is not like there is no room for improvement.
True, there is all the time in the world for him to improve at scrum time. It is a pity that we can say the first sentence I've bolded about too many props in Oz.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Dam i hate been right, especially in the case of Taps, i know he is a lot better then what was demonstrated last night, its unlikely that Link will retain Taps at 13 after that performance, its probable he will get dropped out of the squad altogether, he is going to find it hard going to break back into it now as well considering the Reds Academy matches are pretty much finished.

A. Fainga'a also had a strong game at 12 which makes it difficult for Link to experiment with Taps in his natural position.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Quoting spectator
Hate being negative but the Rebels were awful. Well done Reds for putting 50+ on the Rebels, and getting the bonus point, but don't expect anything that easy for the rest of the season.

Except next week against the Cheetahs - but after that...-

until they play the Rebels again later in the season. Also, think they play the Lions in Brisbane as well....

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I wish the Reds would get some better teams to play at home. 22,000 showed up to see the lowly Rebels - I have a feeling if the Reds were playing the Crusaders, Waratahs or Bulls at home the crowd would be over 30,000.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Hmm indeed. I was just thinking about the Cheetahs next week. Will probably get the smallest crowd of the season. Although it will be interesting to see how last nights result will influence this.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
You would expect them to get a very good crowd to the Waratahs game, unfortunately it's been scheduled in for Easter Saturday which will no doubt impact on crowd numbers. I'd be livid if I was Reds management at this lack of foresight by those doing the draw. Friday night games would draw less than a Saturday game to I reckon, it's all a bit of a rush after work & battling the peak hour traffic for a lot of people. Very glad I made the effort though.
It's funny how when the Tah's smashed the Rebels it was because they were just too good, yet when the Reds do the same... only bettering the score, it's because the Rebels were shit.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Reds need to improve thier discipline & ball security if they want to trouble teams like the Crusaders ATM on last nights performance we would have got dished up if it were Richie & the boys.

A couple of real coach killers last night which in a big win like this tend to get swept under the rug but in a loss stand out like dogs balls.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's funny how when the Tah's smashed the Rebels it was because they were just too good, yet when the Reds do the same... only bettering the score, it's because the Rebels were shit.
What was the score when the tahs played the Reds?
Pretty indicative of the season ahead of each team.
The Reds do some good things, but a lot of shit things as well.
The Kiwi teams will toy with them

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Penguin, if you think that Rebels performance was not their worst so far, you haven't been watching closely enough. And plenty were commenting after the Tahs beat the Rebels how there was plenty of rust in the Tahs, but they took the chances they had well, as did the Reds last night.
If you are happy with the loose aspects of the Reds play last night, all power to you, but there are several teams in this comp who will ream you good and hard if you play like that, and they won't give up as many chances as the Rebels did. Good to see the Reds get some points, and some of the tries were very good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Penguin, if you think that Rebels performance was not their worst so far, you haven't been watching closely enough. And plenty were commenting after the Tahs beat the Rebels how there was plenty of rust in the Tahs, but they took the chances they had well, as did the Reds last night.
If you are happy with the loose aspects of the Reds play last night, all power to you, but there are several teams in this comp who will ream you good and hard if you play like that, and they won't give up as many chances as the Rebels did. Good to see the Reds get some points, and some of the tries were very good.

The only played what they had in front of them to play. Same as when the Tahs played them. Some aspects of the Reds game were ordinary like some decision making but others were very promising as we destroyed their lineout, Cooper is controlling the game better and we are getting over the advantage line. We escaped without injury and that will do me. The bench added great value as well which is a strength.

Me thinks we are building so that will do me.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The only played what they had in front of them to play. Same as when the Tahs played them. Some aspects of the Reds game were ordinary like some decision making but others were very promising as we destroyed their lineout, Cooper is controlling the game better and we are getting over the advantage line. We escaped without injury and that will do me. The bench added great value as well which is a strength.

Me thinks we are building so that will do me.
Sure Ruggo. I didn't actually say the Reds were crap or anything, just that they were not clinical all the time. Teams often aren't when they have it won with 30-40 minutes (or more) to go. They did what they had to do, and some of it very well. I think the Rebels needed to pressure Cooper more, but they allowed him a very easy run in attack and more importantly in defence, and he is good enough to punish anyone if you give him time and space.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wasn't it Quade at fault for the gap opening up in the lead up to that?
I wondered how the ball came back for a penalty, surely the advantage had to have stopped when he had posession (for a fraction of a second) OVER the line. What better advantage can you get?

B

Boomy

Not sure how often it happened but I noticed the scrum calls from Dickinson weren't the pause delayed ones we've been hearing from other refs this year. They were how they used to be. Like I said, not too sure if it was just for the 1 or 2 scrums that I actually paid attention to or if it was throughout the entire match.

T

TOCC

blah blah blah yeah yeah yeah, we get it, the Tahs are awesome, the Reds are not

Status
Not open for further replies.