• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs, 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
That's OK Slim. I am in Canberra for the weekend, imagine how I feel?
That said, the weather is beautiful, and we're having a great time. Nice place in Autumn.

What is with this forum? Last time I ventured to the ACT I bumped into moses, now I have to Cyclops breathing down my neck!?

I agree though, it is some corking weather.

G

GC

Much of the Reds' scrum woes came from not having Slipper (whose scrummaging has been brilliant) and having Daley coming and going constantly. Hanson certainly made a difference when he came on too. This sort of comment, especially if it makes the front page, isn't helpful:

the Reds scrum is soft as shit (like the Wallabies scrum when there are too many Reds in it)

It's a real pity we didn't get to see the two full strength scrums go at each other, but that's the nature of injuries. Maybe the Tahs would have still been better?

Anyways, for the first time in this thread, the positives:

1. The Wobs will have a great front-row. Ben R is getting back to full awesomeness; Slipper and Kepu are approaching world-class; we finally have 3 class hookers to take on the Northern Hemisphere teams - TPN, Moore, Hanson
2. We'll have a great 2nd row. Horwill is back in great form, Sharpe is performing brilliantly. Simmons and Wykes can provide able backup.
3. Cliffy Palu looks to be returning to his huge hitting best. Hopefully he'll last a full game soon and remain uninjured.
4. Robinson won't let any team, including the Wobs, down if he's backup 7 to Pocock
5. Plenty of coverage for 6 if Rocky doesn't make it back: Mowen, Higgers, McCalman, Brown all playing very well.
6. Genia is in brilliant form. Burgess playing very well too.
7. Cooper is scoring more points than he's letting in.
8. Drew Mitchell would have certainly made the starting 15 but there's very good coverage for his position: Diggers, JOC (James O'Connor), Morahan, Davies, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
9. A Fainga'a hasn't let himself down at all at OC. It's nice to have at least some depth there finally. He'd still be behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Horne, who can hopefully make a full recovery.
10. If the Tahs miss the finals, at least TPN will get a rest. Hickey seems incapable of looking after his health.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
What is with this forum? Last time I ventured to the ACT I bumped into moses, now I have to Cyclops breathing down my neck!?

I agree though, it is some corking weather.

Being only an eye, I am more likely to be looking over your shoulder...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Much of the Reds' scrum woes came from not having Slipper (whose scrummaging has been brilliant) and having Daley coming and going constantly. Hanson certainly made a difference when he came on too. This sort of comment, especially if it makes the front page, isn't helpful:

It's a real pity we didn't get to see the two full strength scrums go at each other, but that's the nature of injuries. Maybe the Tahs would have still been better?

Anyways, for the first time in this thread, the positives:

1. The Wobs will have a great front-row. Ben R is getting back to full awesomeness; Slipper and Kepu are approaching world-class; we finally have 3 class hookers to take on the Northern Hemisphere teams - TPN, Moore, Hanson
2. We'll have a great 2nd row. Horwill is back in great form, Sharpe is performing brilliantly. Simmons and Wykes can provide able backup.
3. Cliffy Palu looks to be returning to his huge hitting best. Hopefully he'll last a full game soon and remain uninjured.
4. Robinson won't let any team, including the Wobs, down if he's backup 7 to Pocock
5. Plenty of coverage for 6 if Rocky doesn't make it back: Mowen, Higgers, McCalman, Brown all playing very well.
6. Genia is in brilliant form. Burgess playing very well too.
7. Cooper is scoring more points than he's letting in.
8. Drew Mitchell would have certainly made the starting 15 but there's very good coverage for his position: Diggers, JOC (James O'Connor), Morahan, Davies, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
9. A Fainga'a hasn't let himself down at all at OC. It's nice to have at least some depth there finally. He'd still be behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Horne, who can hopefully make a full recovery.
10. If the Tahs miss the finals, at least TPN will get a rest. Hickey seems incapable of looking after his health.

Finally a decent post on this thread amoungst the dross. I only disagree regarding Palu, it would be folly to carry a clearly injured player into the RWC squad. He has been unable to play a full 60. Maybe he could be used as an impact sub.

I must say that I have been surprised by Kepu's performance at THP. As many will recall I pushed strongly for him on the EOYT last year ahead of Alexander saying he was a better LHP and a serviceable THP with as good play away from the set piece. Well Kepu has shown against all comers except the Crusaders that he is a very good THP. He surely has to be rated a long way in front of Alexander now, with Slipper even further in front as he has been able to hold a Reds scrum with a non-scrummaging Hooker beside him. Daley is still 12 months away yet, but looks to be improving under the tutelage of Link and the great Alec Evans.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Watch the first two games last night - a tale of two derbies on opposite sides of the ditch with a mate who is more a league fan than a union fan. The first game between the Highlanders and the Crusaders had him in awe with its intensity (reminded me of Bob Dwyer's article a couple of weeks ago about pace of the game) and glad he hadn't watched the league game on at the same time. The second game had us both on the edge of our seats especially in the second half with the drama of what was happening (my mate wasn't happy with all the resets especially after the first game which from memory had none) and loving the fact that rugby can toss up two vastly different games but each a spectacle in its own right. The 'tahs v reds game wasn't one for the "spin-it-wide thrashwankers" as naza refers to them, but it was beautiful in its own way for those who can appreciate forward play and drama on the sporting field. Thanks to all four teams for putting on such magnificent displays of rugby.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The issue I have with scrums aren't the scrums themselves. I actually enjoy the scrum contest. The issue I have and surely most people would agree is the time stuffing around between scrums in resting and resetting. We see zero rugby in that time and it is a very poor advertisement for our game.

I was sitting with a former prop and a former no 8 that were saying the same. The prop even said he would fast forward through those parts of the game when watching the replay.

Totally agree....utter borefest but a few observations:

- on one NSW scrum the ball was actually out but a reset was called so why not play on?
- another tah scrum was going sideways but the ball was under the 8's feet and playable so why not get on with it instead of yet another reset? Is there an issue with player safety ie one doesn't want to encourage badly set scrums?
- a reset ordered on the touch/pause because the reds prop was not ready, again player safety is important but hardly fun for the spectators.
- can the ref give a short arm penalty at any sign of a mis-set forcing a quick tap thus avoiding all this crap?
- do we really care about wheeling beyond the 90 as an excuse for a reset?

thoughts appreciated.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

- on one NSW scrum the ball was actually out but a reset was called so why not play on?
- another tah scrum was going sideways but the ball was under the 8's feet and playable so why not get on with it instead of yet another reset? Is there an issue with player safety ie one doesn't want to encourage badly set scrums?
- a reset ordered on the touch/pause because the reds prop was not ready, again player safety is important but hardly fun for the spectators.
- can the ref give a short arm penalty at any sign of a mis-set forcing a quick tap thus avoiding all this crap?
- do we really care about wheeling beyond the 90 as an excuse for a reset?

thoughts appreciated.

This 'borefest' theme seems to be widely held. I couldn't disagree more, and it has nothing to do with being a Waratahs supporter. I haven't spoken to anyone who was at the game who was less than enthralled and on the edge of their seat the whole game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hanson came on as TPN went off so you can't credit Hanson with the improvement in the Reds scrum. Too many variables.

TPN got one dominant scrum with Hanson on before he went on. Safe to say TPN going off was a huge game changer.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I'm not going to beat around the bush but I think the Reds were lucky real lucky last night If Drew Mitchell & TPN had have stayed on the park I think the tahs would of had enough fire power & possesion to scrape a win.

The Reds defended bravely last night & were their own worst enemey with some terrible clearing kicks keeping us pinned in our own 22 for most of the 2nd half.

Anyway another scalp fo the Reds & one big monkey kicked into Brisbane River.

Reactions: Ash

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This 'borefest' theme seems to be widely held. I couldn't disagree more, and it has nothing to do with being a Waratahs supporter. I haven't spoken to anyone who was at the game who was less than enthralled and on the edge of their seat the whole game.

yes i should clarify - a borefest in terms of the scrum resets hence my questions. Some good moments in the rest of the match....possible tries to Digby and KB (Kurtley Beale) might have added some interest.

Did anyone think Robinson was harshly penalised for coming in from the side in the 2nd half. Looked like he was taking an acceptable line in clearing out and more a case of the NSW forward not controlling the breakdown?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same could be said for Carter in the 1st. He was the tackler and just got up. A lack of a clean-out from the Reds.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

The issue of fun for the spectators rates way less than zero when you weigh it against the risk of a broken neck or worse for a prop. I'm surprised anyone would raise this as an issue, it's probably one of the most important rules of the game in the current power hit environment.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
yes i should clarify - a borefest in terms of the scrum resets hence my questions. Some good moments in the rest of the match....possible tries to Digby and KB (Kurtley Beale) might have added some interest.

Did anyone think Robinson was harshly penalised for coming in from the side in the 2nd half. Looked like he was taking an acceptable line in clearing out and more a case of the NSW forward not controlling the breakdown?[/QUOTE]

No that one was pretty clear cut. He didn't come through the gate.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Well maybe I am wrong. Whoever it was that talked about a league friendis the most right here i think. That game does show that rugby is a hugely dynamic game. There is just a few issues with that many reset scrums that's all. Everyone on the forum is frustrated in one way or another because of last nights game but perhaps we should realize that fans wont just bugger off because of one half of scrums that was okay still because it's on the goal line. Surprisingly I haven't heard the media bag this one out much, just saying it was a brutal encounter which can only help the games reputation as being occasionally soft.

I think we can come to the consensus that any fans the Reds lost last night are too impatient and short sighted to see a good game coming i.e. watch the Reds V Bulls last week and then this week and it shows how dynamic rugby can be.

What does worry me is that all local derbies seem to be defense / penalty orientated. Wouldn't it be great just once to have a close game with lots of tries?

Status
Not open for further replies.