• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it still a ruck if none of those players on their feet (or who have been cleaned out) are anywhere near the ball?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Is it still a ruck if none of those players on their feet (or who have been cleaned out) are anywhere near the ball?

If the ball is out of the ruck anyone can pick it up, even tho the ball hasn't moved the ruck has, Hanigan has placed the ball so again anyone can pick it up if on their feet and no ruck. I'm not a ref so.....

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
That';s the question isn't it!

The laws aren't much help there
A ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal line.

Coleman is penalised for coming "staright in from the side" so the ref thought ruck laws were in play, but was it the same ruck?

With the changes to the laws which take effect in Jan 2018 there would be no doubt but we're not there yet

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
If the ball is out of the ruck anyone can pick it up, even tho the ball hasn't moved the ruck has, Hanigan has placed the ball so again anyone can pick it up if on their feet and no ruck. I'm not a ref so...

Fair point "If a bird can shit on it", then the ball is out. In that case its general play and how can you be penalised for entry... Hanigan could've been penalised for playing off feet though.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If the ball is out of the ruck anyone can pick it up, even tho the ball hasn't moved the ruck has, Hanigan has placed the ball so again anyone can pick it up if on their feet and no ruck. I'm not a ref so...
Coleman shouldn't have been penalised (for in at the side anyway) in that case - as no ruck had formed

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

That was what I was getting at.

Kriel came through the gate to the tackle, there is no ruck formed around the ball (or what was a ruck collapsed in the vicinity) and is free to pick it up.

It doesn't really make sense if Kriel can only come in and stand over the ball or that Australia has permanently won the ball at that ruck on the basis of the cleanout that happened.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Coleman shouldn't have been penalised (for in at the side anyway) in that case - as no ruck had formed

Is it still a tackle though and he has to come through the gate?

At this point Kriel is contesting for the ball in the tackle and Coleman has to come through the gate to clear him out.

A fraction of a second later, Kriel presumably has possession and is a ball carrier and it is general play.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

At this point Kriel is contesting for the ball in the tackle and Coleman has to come through the gate to clear him out.

A fraction of a second later, Kriel presumably has possession and is a ball carrier and it is general play.

Yep that makes sense I guess - ref must have thought no ruck had formed after Hanngan was brought to ground
If one was formed and the ball had then left it - Kriel was in open play and Coleman is entitled to tackle him from any direction

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

Yeah, and I think Hanigan is holding on, not much in it but probably?? fair, all all with the speed of the action probably a good/fair outcome.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)

It was a tackle that became a ruck on the cleanout of EE, if the ball is then deemed out it can't go back to be a tackle. It is general play there are no offside lines or gates

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
It was called by the AR. I don't think they were in the best spot to see though

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes I agree, wrong call, the only illegal play is Hanigan playing it on the ground, but that was very short so play could have gone on.
It wouldn't help with the AR yelling in your ear though so if a decision had to be made it probably went the right way?
The initial problem started with Hanigan getting driven back for whatever reason.
I'm no ref expert so will change my mind as required.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fair point "If a bird can shit on it", then the ball is out. In that case its general play and how can you be penalised for entry. Hanigan could've been penalised for playing off feet though.

'If a bird can shit on it then it's out' sounds good in principle but is so rarely applied as such.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
'If a bird can shit on it then it's out' sounds good in principle but is so rarely applied as such.

I'd say never these days. The ball can be at the back foot and even behind it but so long as the No 9 has his hands on it and hasn't picked it up, then most refs will penalise anyone coming through to play either the ball or the No 9.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
22:50 match time, 5:13 on the video

Argentina's first try, awarded by the referee after consultation with the TMO.

Now I generally think refs do an excellent job, and even if they do make the occassional error, I can ususally see why they made that error with the luxury of super slow mo etc.

Now, that said, how was this try awarded?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
22:50 match time, 5:13 on the video

Argentina's first try, awarded by the referee after consultation with the TMO.

Now I generally think refs do an excellent job, and even if they do make the occassional error, I can ususally see why they made that error with the luxury of super slow mo etc.

Now, that said, how was this try awarded?

Yeah a clear penalty imo. Watch him and the 9 communicate just before he steps forward into Hanigan. Planned illegal play.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
50/50 I thought. Wouldn't be concerned which way it went. Same for Phipps' try later in the game. Most refs would have judged him not to have released the ball before advancing his position without releasing the ball. Win some, you lose some.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
ABs v Boks - last minute of the first half.

Cane makes a tackle, gets blown off it, and rolls up to make the next tackle.

Lands on his elbows past the ball. Has one hand on the deck as he uses the other to go for the ball. Owens watches all this, then awards a penalty to the MiB for the Bok player not releasing.

Fuck.

A.

Duck.