• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Aaron smith took a place at the front of the line out.
As the ball was throw.n in he moved into the half back position.
What peeves about this is that it's a planned move - they have plannnned to break the law.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Aaron smith took a place at the front of the line out.
As the ball was throw.n in he moved into the half back position.
What peeves about this is that it's a planned move - they have plannnned to break the law.
Not quite sure what you mean here but that all seems to be legal under 19.12?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You can't leave a line out until it is over: 19.14(e)
You can't peel off unless you keep moving: 19.12(b)
Define moving ;)

If we're going to be strict here - how can players leave the lineout to form a maul? And what happens when they leave the line of touch to join one and don't move once they get there?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Define moving ;)

If we're going to be strict here - how can players leave the lineout to form a maul? And what happens when they leave the line of touch to join one and don't move once they get there?

Rule 19.14 (g).
The blacks have a number of illegal line out plays, as do we

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can someone explain why the disallowed try was called back for a scrum reset. I thought i counted three penalties there:

1. 5 seconds to use it, Aaron Smith was told, didn't.
2. Turning the scrum.
3. Standing up.

So surely our advantage and try?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Once the scrum goes 90 the ref has to pull it up.

And I'm pretty sure they changed the law that made that an automatic turnover, so if Barnes ruled the scrum wheeled naturally then I think he made the right call.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yep 20.11

(a)

If a scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees, so that the middle line has passed beyond a position parallel to the touchline, the referee must stop play and order another scrum.

(b)

This new scrum is formed at the place where the previous scrum ended. The ball is thrown in by the team that previously threw it in.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If this was the scrum I am thinking of, Barnes clearly ruled the scrum was wheeled (by Australia).

I thought the Aussies pushed straight and pushed through with the Kiwis holding it up on one side only. Penalty Australia.

Thought Barnes reffing was rubbish, especially his setting of the scrums. There was no bias, and no impact on winner/loser, but his reffing was rubbish.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If this was the scrum I am thinking of, Barnes clearly ruled the scrum was wheeled (by Australia).

I thought the Aussies pushed straight and pushed through with the Kiwis holding it up on one side only. Penalty Australia.

Thought Barnes reffing was rubbish, especially his setting of the scrums. There was no bias, and no impact on winner/loser, but his reffing was rubbish.

Barnes did a pretty fair job controlling a rough and niggling game. He's never been a big pinger of scrums, lets play continue where it can, or resets when needed, and I like that.

Not only that approach to the play, but Barnes is just about the best option out there for the Australian style of rugby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I'd agree with that, we generally play well when Barnes is in control. We tend to respond well to his 'let the boys play' ethos and strong communication skills.

I like his style, and thought he was OK in a tough game on Saturday.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No matter how a ref performs someone will always call it crap.

Sure. Though it’s not something you will see from me a lot.

My problem with Barnes wasn’t “style” I thought there were a number of dodgy calls. Worked both ways and I did say it didn’t have any bearing on the game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It certainly helps that we won, but I thought Barnes did a great job on the weekend........

There were maybe a few calls I disagreed with, but overall his performance was pretty good, communicated well with the players, and took control of all the niggle and off the ball stuff from the AB's.........

I quite enjoyed his barb at Foley in the second half.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I did like at least on one occasion Barnes awarded a penalty on the very first set direction for a particular scrum, rather than reset and then, as often happens, the non-offending side at the first instance is then penalised for a similar offence.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I did like at least on one occasion Barnes awarded a penalty on the very first set direction for a particular scrum, rather than reset and then, as often happens, the non-offending side at the first instance is then penalised for a similar offence.

So the referee is good if he judges on the basis of "square up"? Barnes completely lost control over the set, and allowed the front rows to dictate the hit. No point in the ref call if that is the way it should be done. I'll acknowledge that once he lost that ability of control at the scrum, he did hold a balanced methodology through it. ie he stopping pinging for early hits once he allowed them to be early. "Squaring up" the calls though, that is not professional reffing. imo.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dru, I didn't mention a square up at all, and certainly didn't expect anyone to read that into my post. My comment was to the effect that it is better for the ref to penalise an offence he sees in the initial scrum set (all scrums, not just the first) rather than reset it. As often as not, referees then award the penalty against the side offending at the re-set when they were the apparent offending side in the initial set.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a big rise from NRC rookie last year. I really haven't been impressed with him in the few games I seen him officiate, but good luck to him and hope he has a belter.