• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, I wonder who foots the bill for the return flights for TPN and To'omua (and any others) to return in the bye weeks?

I would guess at least the flight to Australia by RA and possibly both legs of it.

The player may pay to fly back to the UK.

I imagine they get some pretty good deals with Qantas.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would be a pity if the costs don't have to be borne by the host club in UK. That might act as some sort of disincentive, depending of course on the relative values of the return flights and the potential fines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would be a pity if the costs don't have to be borne by the host club in UK. That might act as some sort of disincentive, depending of course on the relative values of the return flights and the potential fines.

I think they wouldn't pay anything. They're the team that owns the contract for the player and the player needs to be available to play for them.

It's your responsibility to turn up to work for your employer.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ the way the reg is worded it's pretty clearly the players responsibility to get themselves back to UK or wherever for the weekend(s) their Club doesn't have to release them & once released again how they get back to Wobs isn't the Clubs problem either.

In a perfect world the reg would cover the entirety of the comp but it doesn't & everyone else just has to live with the consequences of that: you want your players back, fine, but it's gunna cost you (can't imagine the players ultimately end up footing the bill).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Leicester's hands are tied that they get fined by the Premiership if they release those players outside of the international windows when they have to.
Maybe so, although I'm not precisely sure on that.

Where fines were levied over releases, such as for the Welsh test back in the day, it was reportedly for the match being outside the window, i.e. a clamp down on bracket creep for extra tests.

The TRC games are not extra tests.

But regardless, the player hops on a flight and gets something like three days in the UK before turning out for his club. He then heads back on a return flight. Rinse and repeat. It's not really working for the club either, to be frank.

I agree though, it's not good for anyone. At least flying business class the flights have the least impact possible

Yeah. Although I've done those flights often enough and a bed, while good to have, doesn't eliminate time zone impact.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe so, although I'm not precisely sure on that.

Where fines were levied over releases, such as for the Welsh test back in the day, it was reportedly for the match being outside the window, i.e. a clamp down on bracket creep for extra tests.

The TRC games are not extra tests.

But regardless, the player hops on a flight and gets something like three days in the UK before turning out for his club. He then heads back on a return flight. Rinse and repeat. It's not really working for the club either, to be frank.

The policy is to issue (big!) fines if clubs release players outside of the agreed international windows.

TRC release window is 6 out of 9 weeks. But that's small fry. What they are really protecting is the 5 from 7 window during six nations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The policy is to issue (big!) fines if clubs release players outside of the agreed international windows.

TRC release window is 6 out of 9 weeks. But that's small fry. What they are really protecting is the 5 from 7 window during six nations.

Do you have the policy?

Post it here.

(… not the World Rugby one, obviously).

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just to tag on the oh aren't Leicester bad for playing To'omua and TPN thing. (speaking from a Tigers POV)

Both Aus and the players knew the situation when the selections happened, Tigers spent the money on To'omua because aus selection policy meant that he should be with us all season, Aus where the ones who changed that policy with a loophole late in the season to get To'omua and suddenly our Marquee player is missing two months of the season and we can't legally change his wage to reflect that.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Are you inferring To'omua's getting paid twice for his time at the Wallabies (due to Oz's sneaky Giteau clause) while on a Tigers' contract? It's about time the iRB/WR (World Rugby) and the national unions stood up to the rapacious English and French clubs and told them in no uncertain words who runs rugby in this world. The Pommy and Frog clubs may want to emulate soccer with its private ownerships and elite club competitions while raping all those weaker than them, but rugby marches to a higher moral tune.

The English Premiership lot can take their 250 million quid private equity dose of cocaine and fuck off in my opinion. I, fer one, would vote for excluding them from the RWC if that's the direction they want to take.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
No I'm not inferring that or have a problem with him being paid twice. (also it isn't Giteau's clause that captures To'omua is it?)

Just simply stating that it's not exactly been ideal circumstances for Tigers and they are the ones who pay him.

Mind Tigers don't have a majority ownership yet, and it's in pretty decent health made a loss last couple of years but we also brought land next to us to build a Hotel and a multi-story, plus laying a new hybird pitch, we average around 22,000 + a game for the season (Max capacity is 25K). In fact Tigers are one of the few clubs that want to see Prem clubs remove a marquee spot to bring it back to one a team to help wage inflation as we know it will hurt alot of teams finances.

But yes according to the SH brigade all top 14 and Prem teams are alike and all the clubs want to go down the football mind. (and you do know that the PRL is not part of the RFU right?)

The English Premiership lot can take their 250 million quid private equity dose of cocaine

Oh I'm sure ARU is very well versed with that.

Look I'm not criticising Aus or To'omua (To'omua is a steller guy), nor am I saying Clubs should take over priority over National unions. Just inferring that maybe players need to really think about their future and what they want either the money or the Caps and just because they don't get picked for the national team a season not move out on a whim, because end of the day the clubs will want value for money.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The English Premiership lot can take their 250 million quid private equity dose of cocaine and fuck off in my opinion. I, fer one, would vote for excluding them from the RWC if that's the direction they want to take.
The English Premiership aren't in the World Cup, so maybe a bit difficult to exclude them!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Until a ref shits the bed by not going to the TMO when he should've; or doesn't listen to the TMO; or someone gets away with some filth 'cos the TMO can't just jump in, at which point the pendulum will swing back the other way. Hopefully WR (World Rugby) will eventually get the balance right but IMO this tweak isn't the one that's gunna do it.

Actual ref's decision question:

Argentina v AB, Argie gets tackled short of the line, places the ball still short of the line then, with AB hands on him, rolls the ball the rest of the way to the line. Ref says try, TMO says no try & attacking scrum, I say no try & penalty for playing the ball on the ground. Who's right?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
weirdest part was Ben Skeen was on the committee

"Angus, comms check, check, check, Angus, I've been told that I have to shut up now. Actually, I told myself to shut up. I was on my own Shut Up The TMO Committee and I approved the referendum unanimously that I should indeed shut up. I'm a danger to myself in the TMO booth and just can't help myself, Angus, while I have you here I would like you to check some footage of potential foul play from the Normandy Invasion......"
"SHUT UP."

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Until a ref shits the bed by not going to the TMO when he should've; or doesn't listen to the TMO; or someone gets away with some filth 'cos the TMO can't just jump in, at which point the pendulum will swing back the other way. Hopefully WR (World Rugby) will eventually get the balance right but IMO this tweak isn't the one that's gunna do it.

Actual ref's decision question:

Argentina v AB, Argie gets tackled short of the line, places the ball still short of the line then, with AB hands on him, rolls the ball the rest of the way to the line. Ref says try, TMO says no try & attacking scrum, I say no try & penalty for playing the ball on the ground. Who's right?
Individual instances of outrage are preferable to a stop start game that detracts from every single match.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
c99b0f5b-d651-4ce2-bbf1-56b5a7313432_zps4ukjvc83.jpg