• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My concern going into the RWC is players pretending to have head knocks to get others carded, if you get a head knock fair enough. But if its a head knock and a card or tmo is involved because the player is holding there head, they should have to go do a HIA. If it's worthy of being checked for foul play then it's worthy of a HIA test to.

Players won't want to miss game time and risk failing a HIA, so would stamp out the football acting part of the game straight away.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I was re-watching Will Jordan's Yellow card. I'm pretty sure he would have caught that ball (he was all eyes for it, arms up for where the ball is coming down) if Ramos hadn't jumped up into the space. So I guess my question is, have we skewed the game so that the jumping player always has the right. Ramos is equally jumping up and into Jordan so he has no eyes for his safety. Jordan wasn't trying to tackle him in the air, so it wasn't foul play in that sense.

I'm not disputing the Yellow. It is what it is by the way these things are judged. Just puts things in an interesting place if you don't choose to jump as a player.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was surprised at the level of interaction into the game by the French war guys. Grabbing the game ball (clothing it of) at every French line out and not returning it quickly even when apparently directed to do so by the ref. Also arranging the headphone for the Captain to talk directly to the coaching box.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was absolutely refreshing to have Luke Pearce ref this morning. Absolutely night and day compared to Jayco and the usual Kiwif Refs we get.
He made a huge error for mine early. When Petaia looks to offload the Georgian 7 makes a play at the ball to try and intercept, he fails do do so and knocks it backwards so that’s okay.

But the Georgian 8 clearly plays at the ball and slaps it dead with no intention of trying to catch the ball. It should have been at least a penalty and potentially a penalty try and yellow card

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was absolutely refreshing to have Luke Pearce ref this morning. Absolutely night and day compared to Jayco and the usual Kiwif Refs we get.
My only criticism was he held the scrum too long before the engage order. Both sets were quite disciplined about waiting for the engage, but I thought he was tempting fate with his slow delivery.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I will prepare you to be highly diappointed by the end of the tournament appointments as Jaco is rated Top 3 and Pearce was lucky to make the RWC after some poor performances. I will be surprised if Pearce earns greater respect for that game given that it was not a close game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was re-watching Will Jordan's Yellow card. I'm pretty sure he would have caught that ball (he was all eyes for it, arms up for where the ball is coming down) if Ramos hadn't jumped up into the space. So I guess my question is, have we skewed the game so that the jumping player always has the right. Ramos is equally jumping up and into Jordan so he has no eyes for his safety. Jordan wasn't trying to tackle him in the air, so it wasn't foul play in that sense.

I'm not disputing the Yellow. It is what it is by the way these things are judged. Just puts things in an interesting place if you don't choose to jump as a player.

I think it's reckless.

He's late to the contest and created a dangerous situation for the player that did arrive first and catch the ball.

I think the refereeing of high ball contests is good. It favours the player who arrives first and gives them some protection under the laws. We see a lot fewer dangerous collisions as a result of the harshness on the player arriving late.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But the Georgian 8 clearly plays at the ball and slaps it dead with no intention of trying to catch the ball. It should have been at least a penalty and potentially a penalty try and yellow card

I thought that at the time too. I haven't rewatched it yet but my only thought as to why you wouldn't look at it further was that the ball was a fair way from the dead ball line and it's reasonable for the Georgian player to tap it backwards to try and keep it away from the Australian player in an attempt to regather it themselves.

Is it considered that the ball going dead was a byproduct of the Georgian player tapping it back and not the Georgian player deliberately tapping the ball out of play?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought that at the time too. I haven't rewatched it yet but my only thought as to why you wouldn't look at it further was that the ball was a fair way from the dead ball line and it's reasonable for the Georgian player to tap it backwards to try and keep it away from the Australian player in an attempt to regather it themselves.

Is it considered that the ball going dead was a byproduct of the Georgian player tapping it back and not the Georgian player deliberately tapping the ball out of play?
For mine it was intentional. There was nobody behind him, he wanted to stop the try being scored and didn’t want to get trapped in goal with the ball as it was carried back although we ended up with a 5 meter scrum so the same result.

I wanted the 8 yellow carded

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it's reckless.

He's late to the contest and created a dangerous situation for the player that did arrive first and catch the ball.

I think the refereeing of high ball contests is good. It favours the player who arrives first and gives them some protection under the laws. We see a lot fewer dangerous collisions as a result of the harshness on the player arriving late.

I need to rewatch as those were my ponderings after the second viewing.

Edit: Ok. Rewatched. Yes, he's is little late in this scenario as Ramos is jumping more up than into the space. Still element of the game where the jumper often seems to be often afforded more rights. I'm not sure I entirely agree that it was entirely reckless though, there are around three French players who converge in a blocking pattern and potentially cause Jordan to have obstructed sight of Ramos.

Last edited:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
How Jesse Kriel stayed on the field is unbelievable. If Dempsey had fallen to the ground and held his head a la Marx or Vermeulen, would the TMO/ref been forced to look more closely at it?

I don’t like how rugby is going with this. I’m OK with card for head contact but it has to be consistent. We saw Grant Williams knocked out vs Argentina a few weeks back with no on-field penalty.

The inconsistency is a bit of a joke unfortunately.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You will never get consistency with different referees & TMOs but what we can do and should do is have the same citing commissioner and judicial panel each time.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You will never get consistency with different referees & TMOs but what we can do and should do is have the same citing commissioner and judicial panel each time.
I thought refs were becoming more consistent with the foul play framework they have - tough though it may be. The issue right now is how they seem to be blatantly ignoring head contact on random occasions.